Be Careful Driving The Viper!!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheEdje:
I was the driver of the car in the pictures. Let's clear some things up and put an end to the wild speculation that seems to be running rampant on this board.

First, here's the whole story:

I was not going too fast (70 mph)...

As for those who think I'm "stupid", well just drive your viper above 60 mph and nick a curb, see what happens, you just might be shocked at how easily the Viper can cut loose of the road even on brand new tires.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear Mr. Edje,

I appreciate the moment-by-moment explanation of your very unfortunate accident. The detail you gave makes every bit of the damage to the car understandable. You two are indeed quite fortunate to have survived at all, much less with only minor injuries.

That said, and in refrerence to the first remark of your story, it would appear that the speed you were traveling at the time you touched the first curb was indeed too fast for the given conditions, with you at the wheel. Did the police (literally) add insult to injury by giving you a ticket for Failure to Control Speed? That's a wonderful little catch-all they love to use.

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jschindler, What ever they say about you over at the corvette forum, I dont beleive it.(HE HE) Your not so bad after all.
smile.gif

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheEdje:
Amazing isn't it. How many people jump to conclusions about an accident and the driver.

I was the driver of the car in the pictures. Let's clear some things up and put an end to the wild speculation that seems to be running rampant on this board.

First, here's the whole story:

*snip*

As for those who think I'm "stupid", well just drive your viper above 60 mph and nick a curb, see what happens, you just might be shocked at how easily the Viper can cut loose of the road even on brand new tires.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Edje -

I will own up to the "stupid" remark as I suggested someone call me that if I wrecked at a very high speed on a public highway dressed for a backyard BBQ. Most of us jumped to these conclusions from the opening post from Don:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigsViper:

There was a thread the other day discussing high speeds on public roadways. Let this be a wake-up call regarding the possibilities inherent in such a foolish endeavor. The owner agreed to let me post the link because he hopes it could cause someone else to think twice before risking their own (and someone elses) lives.
death2.gif
death2.gif
death2.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am VERY sorry to hear and see your loss and equally sorry for your injury, no matter how minor. However, that opening post left us very little else to go on other than somebody foolishly wrecked their car at high speeds on a public roadway. "Stupid" for short. I apologize I fell into that trap. That said, I would note that many cars would wipe out if they hit a curb at 70mph. Most of us realize that the Viper can be dangerous if not driven properly, but in your case it seems as though the brand of the car was really secondary to the fact a curb was hit at that speed. Who knows - maybe an Explorer would have had you rolling several times...

Thanks for the explanation and sorry that I, for one, jumped to conclusions.

Chris

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
However, that opening post left us very little else to go on other than somebody foolishly wrecked their car at high speeds on a public roadway. "Stupid" for short. I apologize I fell into that trap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, I guess I should let this go, but I object to your implication that I was trying to "trap" anyone...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
Thanks for the explanation and sorry that I, for one, jumped to conclusions.

Chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall TheEdge being upset with me for anything I put in the thread, just everyone else. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I will think twice before I ever again post something I think might be informative. Bigs

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigsViper:

Chris, I guess I should let this go, but I object to your implication that I was trying to "trap" anyone...

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall TheEdge being upset with me for anything I put in the thread, just everyone else. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I will think twice before I ever again post something I think might be informative. Bigs
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no - it wasn't saying that YOU set a trap (not even close), it was that many of us fell into the everyday trap of "assuming". Your post was excellent and was certainly one of the most interesting that has been on here in some time (mine **** in comparison). I would strongly encourage you to keep up the GREAT posts! Please understand that the way it was written ("Let this be a wake-up call regarding the possibilities inherent in such a foolish endeavor.") lead many of us to believe that this was some guy that lost it going triple digits while showing off for a friend. That was the "trap" and certainly not intentionally set by you. As to the "jumping to conclusions", I was referring to myself and a few others that thought this guy was pretty out of it before knowing the full story - NOT you. As you said, he was upset with everyone else and that was who the apology was for. Again, it was a great post and I thank you for sharing it. Sorry (again) if I used the wrong verbiage in my reply...

Chris

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you want a medal. I know of three Vettes wrecked in the last month from street racing. The point is, call it like you see it. The guy wrecked the car, no he wasn't being reckless or racing this is what you guys are assuming. Assuming is the mother of all f**k ups.

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to know the full story e-mail the driver. But, I heard the whole thing from him. A few weeks after the wreck he was interested in buying my 99 GTS I had for sale. He explained the whole thing to me then. He was getting on the tollway and hit a drainage ditch that sent the car spinning. If you guys want to blame it on something blam it on the ditch. Hopefully, he will chime in soon on the subject.

H8TOW8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I try to view the pics it says - The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer...

Can anyone else see them? Possible to post to a different site?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
EDje, if you are still reading this thread I just wanted to send my condolences out to you and your family for the loss of something so precious. I do hope it didn't shake any confidence in the car itself and hope you get another to take its place. I know what its like to loose a car, especially one you love.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny:

Such photos are usually taken by DPS (State Troopers) that are accident recontructionists. They do their job as paramedics and fire fighters do theirs. Such photos are taken in severe crashes.

SM

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now it's all coming together... We saw this viper, upside down on the tollway, with no one around (that we could see) and were kind of perplexed. I thought this was it when I got the NTXViper email. But now I'm sure... Pretty freaky.

I have to say, this is a freak deal, that you judgemental guys are blowing way out of proportion. If you live in N TX, and you tell me you've never gone 70 getting on the tollway in your viper, I know you are lying, or one of the most restrained people I know. I have done exactly what the driver has done, on the same access ramp, at higher speeds than he is talking... I didn't hit the curb though. Does that make me irresponsible/stupid? who knows, and who cares, accidents happen, we ALL do things that increase our chances.

Anyway, since I've seen this deal, driven the road, it hits close to home, I hope you are well, and aren't disenchanted with the viper, stuff happens, you now just have a lesser chance of getting in a bad accident, statistically speaking.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what I'm about to post will probably get all kinds of flames. I'm going to be a lot less "white glove" here than you guys are being.

TheEdje,

You say you were going 70mph?

<FONT size="5">BULL!!!</FONT s>

I recently got into an accident in my car - in my post I said I was going "65", but I was &lt;EDIT - until I beat the ticket, better not to talk about perceived speeds
smile.gif
&gt;. &lt;EDITED&gt; - and unfortunately I had "some help" with my accident (was clipped by someone who tried to overtake me). I hit a concrete bridge support head on - 'ratchedted' the car around like you said and the car was up on it's side, and slid through TWO metal light poles - the big ones on the highway.

Was I stupid? &lt;EDITED&gt;. But my car was not even close to as highly damaged as yours is. The front end on mine was wrecked more, but the overall body damage was a lot less. I got a ticket for speeding (which I am fighting), and have been doing my research, and from looking at the pictures, there is NO WAY you were going 70mph.

Having said that, I'm sure you have accident investigations pending and insurance settlements forthcoming, so I would have said 70mph too
smile.gif

Also, it wasn't an accident. An accident is when a tire blows out, or when a deer runs in front of the car. "Clipping a curb" is 100% driver error, plain and simple. You screwed up, you paid the price - just like I did. It would be a good idea, for future reference, to be extremely careful to avoid situations that could result in physical injury when you are wearing shorts and t-shirt, and are in a convertible, and have a friend in the car with you. Just my .02

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

You say you were going 70mph?

<FONT size="5">BULL!!!</FONT s>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly my thought. I suppose under SOME circumstance, it is possible to collect that much damage from 70 down to zero.

My observation has been that the less comfortable a person is with their speed (i.e., going faster than previously experienced), the higher the tendency to tuck tight into a corner (turn in early) to avoid going too wide. At a comfortable speed, say 70, the curb probably would have never been ticked.

Not fact; just experience.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was playing Viper racing earlier tonight. I hit the side of the wall on one of the tracks and the car ended up stopped upside down. Fortunately I hit the space bar and was back in action. I was dressed like I was going to a barbeque as well.

I guess the video game is trying to be realistic.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This appears to be a good link for all of the pictures - and it also loads a lot faster:

http://www.car-audio.net/viper/

My thanks to axe for the link!

Chris

PS. And I agree, we have all taken an entrance ramp fast - and probably faster than we should have. But as Dean pointed out with the previously-assumed ditch - the curb was not at fault, this was 100% driver error...

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'll take what EDje said as truth, I think it too was an accident. I've clipped my fair share of curbs at high speed and I know the results. It is possible to do significant damage to a car, any car, at low speeds if you are unfortunate enough to hit it at the wrong place, at the wrong time and at the wrong speed. From what it sounds like to me is that a situation occurred that the driver failed to see, but also wasn't being reckless about.

Well guess what people, I, unlike some of the perfect drivers here, have let my attention sway from what is in front of me to what is coming down the highway on many an access ramp. If you say you've never done that yourself, fine. If we were all perfect insurance companies would not exist today.

My concern rests solely with EDje, and his passenger, and his car. Unless you were in the car or behind the car then as far as I'm concerned you don't have enough information to call him a liar. I believe him (and his passenger) and only him because he was there and I'm pretty sure he had a pretty good idea of what was happening at that very second.

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Pierce:
I dont think Bigs's message was HOW it happen so much as here's some pics to show you what CAN happen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO!!! I regret this thread deteriorated into a Pi$$ing contest between "holier than thou's", those that think there was no driver error and those that claim there was. I take neither side. The intent of my post was to express sympathy, and relief that the two occupants were OK, and to show what can happen in a car wreck. It's easy to infer what you want to when viewing a post on a BBS. Give it a rest......