Be Careful Driving The Viper!!

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's late, but I wanted to post this as soon as possible...

A fellow North Texas VCA member gave me permission to post this link to pictures of his horrendous Viper wreck.

<FONT size="4">Warning!! Many of these photos are graphic!!!</FONT s>

http://www.televidi.com/viper/

Fortunately our fellow owner/member and his passenger survived.

There was a thread the other day discussing high speeds on public roadways. Let this be a wake-up call regarding the possibilities inherent in such a foolish endeavor. The owner agreed to let me post the link because he hopes it could cause someone else to think twice before risking their own (and someone elses) lives.
death2.gif
death2.gif
death2.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please tell your friend, THANK YOU.
I NEEDED THAT!!

WOW! very scary.

you tend to forget bad things can happen to good people.

hope they both get well soon

JIM

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope everybody will be ok and those type of pictures make you think about what you do!!!!!!!

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where in Plano Texas was this, and what was the cause of the accident?

I seems amazing that the occupants survived. It is very sad that it does not look like the car survived.

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets get something straight, it seems I know more about this wreck then you. This was not do to street racing. It was an owner that under estimated the power of his car. It was accident, not from racing someone and losing control. I am not condoning street races but, get the facts straight.
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notice that both occupants have the tops of their heads skinned up pretty badly, but they still have heads with brains inside.

And Dodge puts that stupid sticker on the door jamb that says the sport bar is NOT a roll bar. Right!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In a month you'll see an ad on EBAY; Viper RT/10, light roll EZ fix. Yeah right. Glad to see the passengers were still blinking in the photos. Any landing you can walk away from....

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackACR:
Lets get something straight, it seems I know more about this wreck then you. This was not do to street racing. It was an owner that under estimated the power of his car. It was accident, not from racing someone and losing control. I am not condoning street races but, get the facts straight.
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't appreciate your flame Black. Where in my post do I say this was due to street racing? I only put that in the title to garner attention for the pics from those that might benefit most.
I don't doubt that you know more about it, all I know is what was in his email to me when he gave me permission to post the link. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have a problem with how it was presented, why do you? Sheesh, I was just trying to be helpful....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, it didn’t look like Blacks post was a flame he just wanted to get the facts straight. And the subject line implies that the wreck was from a street race. Regardless, it’s an eye opener to be careful out there.

I’ve spun my RT/10 twice. Neither time was I street racing. But I’m sure people that passed by in the aftermath jumped to the conclusion that I was racing.

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean is absolutely correct. I worry why Dodge created this car without doing something about the top of the car if it rolls.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck. The first thing I thought when I saw the subject line was that this was a result of a street race and that this whole tread was some kind of propaganda against it. I think 99% of us here agree that street racing can result in a wreck like this, not to mention that its a bad idea to start with, but I think its kind of crude using this bad situation to make a statement.

I, like many here, would still like to know what happened in detail so that I may be prepared for it in the future.

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck 98 RT/10, you took the words right out of my mouth. When was the last time you heard of a Viper crashing do to street racing. Most people that crash them seem to do them on there own, no race needed.
death2.gif

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackACR:
If you guys want to blame it on something blam it on the ditch. Hopefully, he will chime in soon on the subject.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking for the ditch, I need to tell you just how difficult it is to build a ditch that will suddenly jump out into the middle of the road to ****** the unwary Viper driver and turn him over on his head. But I, master roadbuilder that I am, can do this. (not!)

The best defense against roadside ditches is to stay on the road, not in the ditch.

Beware the ditches!

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think Bigs's message was HOW it happen so much as here's some pics to show you what CAN happen.

Some people are just so sensative... Now where did I put those Tigger lyrics? Sounds like some people need a little pill to relax.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides the very first observation (HOLY CRAP!), here are a couple others:

The subject "street racing" is pretty accurate. Even if you are solo, the implication is that you are "racing" your car - high speeds in excess of the speed limit. Heck, most of the "races" we have at the track are not against another car either - they are against the other car's time. This gentleman appears to have been racing his speedometer against the posted limit (which most of us are guilty of a time or two). While he wasn't racing another car, he might as well have been. Be glad he wasn't, as he would probably have taken out the other car as well.

It would be too easy to stereotype the driver and I will avoid that at all costs. However, flimsy shorts, sandals, no helmet, and no hardtop would indicate that not a lot of thought went into this ride. He had his buddy with him, and we all know how tempting it is to "open 'er up" to demonstrate the power. I have yet to have someone get in and say "Let's hear how the stereo sounds!" I don't know if both were wearing seatbelts (assume they were or they may have been launched), but one photo shows the guy clearly upside-down to the car.

I try not to do high speeds with a passenger unless it is at a track. Oh sure, I will get to the speed limit (or ever so slightly over
smile.gif
) in a hurry, but I prefer to be a little safer with myself and my passenger. For a real thrill, throw on some adequate clothing (long pants, long sleeve shirt), a helmet, and then go to your local SCCA autocross. Not fast enough? Find a drag strip or a track in your area where you can exercise your car. Most of the autocross venues allow a passenger, and I guarantee they will be more "thrilled" on that drive than watching triple digits on a highway.

I know this was a fellow VCA member and my heart goes out to him. But with all due respect, if I wipe out like that on a public highway going too fast, I would please ask you call me "stupid". I will have earned it.

Chris

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Byrom:
Dean is absolutely correct. I worry why Dodge created this car without doing something about the top of the car if it rolls.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did: The 2003 SRT-10.

PS. Did you notice that the parking brake handle is pulled up in the photos? I am assuming it was due to a broken cable and not that they "Starsky & Hutched" it...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...Thank Jah they are ok.....Im not getting into wheather he was racing or not...It doesnt matter...They are both alive....I just cant help noticing how bad that wreak is...It cant be from a low speed flip....That car had to be traveling at a good clip when that freakin ditch came into play....Just my worthless observation..

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Big's and Black ACR, it would still be very instructional for the new or potential new Viper owner to hear what specific action intiated this. Those of us who have had the car a few years learned either from the board or lucky experience not to get on the throttle during a turn, cold tire syndrome, the fact that breakaway oversteer can come instantly with no warning even though the grip appears endless, catching second gear instead of fourth on a missed shift thereby iniating a spin. Etc, etc. I don't think any newbie is really going to email the guy and embarass him further. What's important is what basic mistake was made to get him into that ditch, advice like that could really save a newbie. Could either of you comment?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that ANYONE survived that should let EVERYONE know, "There's definitely a God!"

Thanjs for sharing that.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made some changes to my car a week ago and took it out for a little test session to see if the changes were evident. They were.

While bringing it down to normal speed, I went into a gentle sweeping curve with the car 'unsettled' because I had been braking. Definitely got my attention! I was nice and puckered for about 15 minutes after that. That little episode plus seing that car reminds me why NOT to 'test and tune' on the public highway.

Thought I would share that with you all.

Now, I'm off for a little street racing! j/k Bigs!
smile.gif

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:

Speaking for the ditch, I need to tell you just how difficult it is to build a ditch that will suddenly jump out into the middle of the road to ****** the unwary Viper driver and turn him over on his head. But I, master roadbuilder that I am, can do this. (not!)

The best defense against roadside ditches is to stay on the road, not in the ditch.

Beware the ditches!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
Too Funny!
laugh.gif
Thanks Dean...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SnakeBitten:
Wow...Thank Jah they are ok.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank who???

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the first email I received yesterday that went out to EVERYONE on the North Texas VCA email list:

"Be careful when driving fast, you might not like the results.
http://www.televidi.com/viper/

My buddy and myself were wearing our seatbelts and our lives were spared. I reccommend a role bar to anyone with an RT/10. I since have replaced the RT/10 with an original '96 GTS (The quintessential viper).

Regards-"

And he did not include his name...

Please note the opening sentence: BE CAREFUL WHEN DRIVING FAST... It says nothing about a leisurely drive interrupted by a ditch. After viewing the pics I replied to the sender's address asking his permission to post the link. This is what he sent me back:

"Sure, anything to raise awareness about the dangers of driving a Viper. It is a powerful car and drivers need training before attempting to get up to speed."

After I created the thread I emailed him again with a link to it, and mentioned that there would be many fellow members interested in what caused such a catastrophe if he wouldn't mind commenting. For whatever reason he has not yet (or maybe he won't) post.

Now you know all I know. Perhaps I should have titled the thread "be careful when driving fast" but I'm sure someone would have griped about that too. How about just taking the pics for the reason the guy sent them out:
"to raise awareness about the dangers of driving a viper (FAST!)

<FONT COLOR="Red">[Edit: I was typing this post as the edje was posting the one above. I still thank you for sharing the pics, sorry if anyone thought I was accusing you of anything or if I caused some unwarranted criticizm as that was not my intent]</FONT c>

Reaction score
I would love to see these pictures if at all possible. Anyone save them that could e-mail them to me or post them in this message?

Thanks again Tony!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness