Belanger Headers at Laguna Seca

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Running a lot of events at Laguna Seca this year. Right now I have a 2008 SRT-10 w/Corsa Cat back only and have no problems...

Anyone run the full Belanger setup at Laguna and pass/fail the sound restrictions??

Thinking I'd try Belangers with Hi-Flo Cats and keep the Corsa...

Just hate to make the investment and get booted out!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do these restrictions apply when races ar being held there? What about when they tested the ACR-X? Is it only for street legal cars?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laguna Seca has lots of noise rules. They allow just so many days at the max level, and more days at lower levels.

Some drivers know where the sound sensors are located, and they go as fast by them as they can while still staying within the sound limits. Short shifting is common in those areas.

Cars with side pipes have a harder time, as the exhaust points right at the sensors.

Seems like the noise limits are trending downwards at tracks surrounded by development.

EXHLR8N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul is right about the side exhaust. I believe it is 92 decibels. The "noise" tower is about 100yds up the hill to the right at turn 5.

I have a 2003 with headers and corsa's. There is now way the Viper would pass.

OP
OP
D

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I hear the sensors at Seca are between turn 5 and 6...

I have heard the headers are not the loudest part; the Hi-Flo Cats are what make the biggest audible change... However who'd do one without the other...

The sound level is tested to be below 92db at 100' I believe...

Just ***** when my house literally looks at Laguna Seca Property so that is an easy/popular track for me! Guess I will keep quiet for now...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the penalty of sneaking in one night and coating the sensor with a thin layer of rtv to muffle the sound? I'm not suggesting anything because it might be illegal. I'm just wondering if and how much the fine would be. I'm thinking about becoming a lawyer someday and I am researching.

OP
OP
D

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now you got me thinking like a teenager when I would have actually done something like this!! LOL

Well the campgrounds are open almost year round so access wouldn't be the problem... May be a fence to jump or two... however my guess is sensitive sound measurement devices are likely packed up after each track day.

As far as fines Hmmm, how about charges... Trespassing, Breaking an Entering, Vandalism... this is not sounding good enough for a Viper with Belangers...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now you got me thinking like a teenager when I would have actually done something like this!! LOL

Well the campgrounds are open almost year round so access wouldn't be the problem... May be a fence to jump or two... however my guess is sensitive sound measurement devices are likely packed up after each track day.

As far as fines Hmmm, how about charges... Trespassing, Breaking an Entering, Vandalism... this is not sounding good enough for a Viper with Belangers...

So maybe the trick would be to instal the Belanger 50hp improvement, but add rear pipes? I realize that the rear bodywork would need to be modified but perhaps just running the exhuast outlets past the rear axle and pointing the sound waves out back or to the left side? Hate to lose that hp to a sensor. Gas mileage may also be affected.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the penalty of sneaking in one night and coating the sensor with a thin layer of rtv to muffle the sound? I'm not suggesting anything because it might be illegal. I'm just wondering if and how much the fine would be. I'm thinking about becoming a lawyer someday and I am researching.

You are too funny Chuck. Immature/:lmao::lmao:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For once I actually used the "search" function and found a thread that's already answering my question.

While it's pretty widely known that they measure you on the uphill between T5 and T6, they say they measure dB anywhere on the track. Personal experience? Always on the hill straight. Which *****, 'cause that's a favorite spot of mine to pass in HPDE sessions. A word of warning: rear exhaust doesn't necessarily solve your problem. My stock SRT8 Challenger w/Corsa catback never broached the 92 dB limit... but once I added a blower it failed @ 95+ dB. Hello, meatball.

Quite a few 911 drivers fab up a funky exhaust add-on piece that curves their rear exhaust over to the driver's side. Can't see that working too well with our passenger side exit pipe, though!

Specific question: who's run a Gen IV ACR at Seca? What exhaust setup, and did you get flagged for noise?

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Chuck I have to meet you someday. We would get along just fine!:D

Gee, I hopped a lot of fences, so this will be a piece of cake for me!

Maybe we could also start a Header Manufacturing Co. I have the bucks for the CNC machine....You can be my ATTY!! since I will probably need one the way things are going. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dave