Best brake duct setup?

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My ACR has ducting that ends in the wheel well, but a hose could easily extend it to the spindle. Anyone know what the best setup to do this is?

I've experienced some mild pad fade with the stock setup (well, fade might be an overstatement, but it was taking more pedal pressure to stop the car).

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck,

This was at Keystone. After you guys left, I went out and did some more laps. Without traffic in front of me I was able to push the brakes harder and longer than I did earlier in the day. The result was that the pad's performace obviously started to degrade. I'm not sure I'd call it fade - the brakes could still easily lock the tires up - but the lack of initial bite surprised me once in turn 4 and I put two wheels off. I called it a day after that, and found what looked to be more pad material on the rotor than was there previously.

So I think the stock brakes could benefit from some additional cooling, which I'd like to try before moving to race pads. In hindsight, I should have used some of my brake temperature paint for more objective data.

I haven't actually checked how much pad I have left. I'm getting some more stock pads, and will do so before my next event (the 22nd at Moroso).

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keystone is a slow track but it also doesn't have any long stretches to cool the brakes down. Could be an issue.

See you at Moroso. I'm anxious to see the new configuration.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My ACR has ducting that ends in the wheel well, but a hose could easily extend it to the spindle. Anyone know what the best setup to do this is?

This was covered in a recent thread......
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/617371-acr-brake-cooling-ducts.html

Short Answer: those fascia-ducts are a GREAT start, thanks SRT! Easy and cheap to clamp on, and then zip tie generic brake ducts hose to the A-arms, directed to the reverse side of the rotor/caliper. You COULD easily ad (expensive) comp-coupe caliper shrouds, but not really essential. The hose extensions alone would be effective.

Have you tried the MINTEX VCC pads yet? Or even Brakeman?

OP
OP
G

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck, you're going to be at Moroso as well?

Jon, whoops, I'd completely forgotten about that thread. I was hoping someone (such as yourself) had spindle shrouds that weren't so expensive. I'm thinking even at $800, the CC shrouds might pay for themselves over time.

Have you tried the MINTEX VCC pads yet? Or even Brakeman?
Nope, I'm still on the original pads. I'd prefer to stick with them if possible, because they seem to be easy on the rotors and are likely cheaper than race pads. I've typically run Carbotech XPs on previous cars.

Last edited:

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the shrouds and switch to Mintex or Brakeman pads and your problem should disappear. Next try braking later and harder at the corners. That will help temp build up. We all were having problems at Eagles CAnyon at finals, I changed my braking technique and the problems went away. I am making the assumption that you have changed to either Motul of similar brake fluid. If not change your fuilds NOW.

Good luck,