Best differential ratio for weekend driver.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend the 3.54/3.55 set up as a happy medium. I had them installed about two months ago, and I am pleased with the improved seat of the pants feel (I also think that it will help 1/4 et's by raising the average hp and tq during the 1/4 mile run, but haven't had a chance to test that theory). Anyway, if you aren't used to a car with shorter gears, the 3.73's may be a little much for you, although I think they'll help you get a nice hole shot on most other street cars.....

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with 3.54s, 3.73s may be good in a Vette but the Viper is a different animal, did you ask yourself why this guy wants 3.07s back? Kid97GTS is right the seat of the pants feel is great, and Kid I have 1/4 miled my car (with Venom Lover) and it is QUICK, 1.815 60 ft. on street tires at Palmdale. Kid I look forward to meeting up with you one day (although I'll have to wait to get a motor).

Ron (SoCal Rebell)

Reaction score
I feel there is no need to change the stock gear ratio. The torque of the Viper provides plenty of acceleration. The 3:54's require additional shifting on the track and in autocross events, in my experience. Combined with a modified exhaust system the the interior noise increases which is not in the best interest in long trips with my wife. I also do not like the added noise. I find, the gear change, no value for normal (street and some track driving schools) use. Have friends who feel the same. If you run wrinkle wall slicks at the drag strip then the gear change may be a benefit. MY opinion! The cost of changing the the rear end is better spent with Skip Barber, more benefit and more fun.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My input on the rear gears:

I installed Mopar .355 ratio and really enjoy driving around town a lot more. The jerky "want to go, want to slow" feeling is gone with the lower ratio. I feel strongly that the factory .307 gears are faster unless you are WELL SKILLED at drag racing. You will have more wheelspin (which is really fun!) but that costs you time in a race. I don't have a place to legally race, so the lower ratio is really fun.

I have a new RT-10 on order, and will switch over my Mopar steet exhaust (the BEST thing I have done- it sounds great!) and Mopar race controller and smooth tubes/K&N's. I think I will drive with the factory rear gears for a month and compare. I will probably install the .355 again or a little higher, but I will buy NEW gears for the new car.

You would love the .355's, if ultimate performance is what you want and you are highly skilled, stay with the factory .307.

Happy Holidays!

Jim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery