Best rear tires for street and drag?

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking for some rear tires. As of right know I'm running the stock pilot runflats that are 7 years old( they **** for traction). I Don't put many miles on a year, So I'm looking for a tire I can use on the street safely and also have some nice launches at the strip. I probably put 3 to 5 thousand miles on a year and hit the stripe 6 to 7 times a year, Any good suggestions?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do not mind the odd look of the way they meet the bead edge of the wheel, the Kumho V700 is a no brainer. They are amazing. Totally transformed the car. Best mod I have.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Q

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't drive in the rain, So that should not be an issue. Well how many miles can you get out of the bfg? v-700? nitto drags?

As I previously stated highway use say 75% of the time and Drag racing 25% or if u count highway runs its 50/50, so I need a tire thats sticky, but can last say 10,000 mi. Help me narrow this down to one tire guys, Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, those 700's look horrible. i had no idea they looked like that.

Phonex, ya saved me some headache's.....thanx

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK ,so what are the best street tires ( not looks, handeling, soft,tires)rain or shine?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a spair of V700's and had them mounted on my new SSR rims I just got. I don't recall my tires looking like that around the bead. What size tire is that? Looks like the tire is too small for the wheel or the wheel is some ultra wide wheel that's a little too wide for a 335. Is that a 335? Mine totally fill out the wheel like my pilots did on my GTS wheels. I got V700's from... well, I'm not telling because I may buy another pair.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The V700 do sit off the wheel a bit (you can't tell unless you’re looking for it). The worst thing about Kumhos is that they sandblast your paint.

They are going to be your best mod for the $s. There not really drag tires and I don't think they will help you much in a straight line. But in the corners and while braking you will see a big difference. :2tu:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There not really drag tires and I don't think they will help you much in a straight line.
Night and day difference in a straight line compared to my previous Pilots. I still get some wheelspin in the winter, but in the summer heat I can launch at 2,500-3,000 rpm even with my short gears and only get maybe a rotation or two of spin. Probably took a second off my 0-60 mph times. Honestly. With the Pilots O had to launch from an idle then they would light up when the car went on the pipe around 3,200 rpm.

OP
OP
Q

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I need bfgoodrich g- force t/a drag radials 345/30-18 for what I will be using the car for/ Can I get a second from someone ?

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bingo ! 345/30-18 BFG drag radial - I run 1000rwhp on the street with these and they work excellent. I can hook 100% in 3rd gear , and most of my power in 2nd if the tires are hot . They pull a little bit in grooves and are funky over expansion joints , not to mention they are Very Very Very bad in the rain though !! expect 3 - 4 k mi from the tires of youve got a higher HP car ...

I highly reccomend them

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You did NOT say the year-model-wheel size. IT MATTERS !!!!

I'm not a fan of Drag Radials on the street IF-IF-IF you corner aggressively.

There have been anecdotes here of "SCARY" cornering, especially exit ramps, on-ramps etc if you try to take it "NORMALLY" fast for a Viper. BE CAREFUL!

Why? THE SIDEWALLS ARE INTENDED TO GIVE / FLEX MORE ON A DRAG RADIAL. SQUIRRELY CORNERING can be a formula for disaster if you over-corner the tire. If you love fast cornering, and choose this option, RELIGIOUSLY monitor your pressures and boost them for road use. P.S. They have almost NO road-hazard protection. A bad pothole can break a belt.

I would suggest Michelin Pilot Sport CUP tires, 345-30-18. As sticky as a Kumho, and intended for safe high speed and cornering. Wider contact patch than Kumho. If you have 17" wheels, go w/ Kumhos.

PPS. You are looking for rear tires....your fronts are alos 7 years OLD?

New sticky rubber rear, and hockey-puck-hard fronts are a great way to test your airbags (if so equipped)or your sternum if not.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
I would suggest Michelin Pilot Sport CUP tires, 345-30-18. As sticky as a Kumho, and intended for safe high speed and cornering. Wider contact patch than Kumho. If you have 17" wheels, go w/ Kumhos.

PPS. You are looking for rear tires....your fronts are alos 7 years OLD?

New sticky rubber rear, and hockey-puck-hard fronts are a great way to test your airbags (if so equipped)or your sternum if not.

[/QUOTE]

I have no complaints on my Cups from Jon B. I have gotten about 5K out of them & I can probably get another 1-2.

They hook up great, like above, 2nd is controllable, 3rd & 4th is great! Freeway curves are great at 80-90 mPH. No problem in the rain, although my a$$ bites a hole in the seat anyway & I drive carefully.

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ideas for 17' wheels. Not many options anymore.

Should us (fellow 17 inchers) just **** it up and buy 18's or 19's?

I am serious about the question, even though I am giggling like a school girl typing that up.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Kumhos and they are great! The reason the look like that on the rim is that the michelin has a raised piece of rubber to protect the rim. I wish the Kumhos had that lip protector and they would be perfect. The extra grip for the price makes me more than happy with mine. Also, the handle WAY better on corners than the BFGoodrich drag radials.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There not really drag tires and I don't think they will help you much in a straight line.
Night and day difference in a straight line compared to my previous Pilots. I still get some wheelspin in the winter, but in the summer heat I can launch at 2,500-3,000 rpm even with my short gears and only get maybe a rotation or two of spin. Probably took a second off my 0-60 mph times. Honestly. With the Pilots O had to launch from an idle then they would light up when the car went on the pipe around 3,200 rpm.

So you are saying My Kumho V700's should help out my 12.1 sec pass I ran on my Pilots? What do you think I can get it down to?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I gave up on my Kuhmo V700. (Poor wear). I just put on the new PS2's. 17INCH. I really like them. Haven't tried track, but seems pretty good so far.

I was afraid at first in the corners, but these tires are pretty grippy.

Yeah, the Kuhmos looked stupid on my rims. Just don't have the relief lip for rim protectors.