Best two way radio for the $$$

Reaction score
What is the best two way radio that you guys have used for the money? I am going to Hot Springs for the fall foliage drive this weekend and will be traveling several others. Sure would be nice to use something other than a cell phone. Thanks for your thoughts....Kurt

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt,
We bought the Motorola SLK-289's for $99 each right before VOI6 from "fresno Firearms" - they advertise on ebay. They proved very handy while we convoyed with members of the SC club and during the road rally. The price was right and they shipped via express mail right away. This model has a voice activated feature, NiMH battery, and a few other things. I'd stick withthe Motorola as they seem to be the most popular with the ViperNation. Hope this helps. Have a great time!

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a SLK 289 and the Motorola FR-60.. I don't think the FR-60 is VOX capable but other than that the both work well. I found the SLK 289 on sale for $79 and the FR-60s generally go for $100 a pair..
They work great for us on our runs.

Charlie
Adderwear products

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices for the "older" Motorola models should be dropping a bit as they introduce a new line. I saw the 289's for around $75 a pop this weekend. There are some good deals to be had on ebay, here is a shortcut .

For the latest and greatest, look for the Motorola T6300 or T6310. Has all the goodies (14 channels, 38 subchannels, etc.) plus FM radio, national weather frequencies, etc. The next one will have a compass, altitude, and barometric pressure - just in case you happen to be doing a dyno while you talk.
You must be registered for see images
No kidding!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve -

All of the Motorola Talkabouts (which these are) utilize the same FRS frequencies. Indeed, you can use most 14 channel FRS radios to communicate with one another, even if they are different brands. I am told that Circuit City had a good one for, get this, $19.95. It was a Northwestern Bell model with 14 channels and 38 privacy codes/subfrequencies. As to the new Motorola Talkabouts, click here for the latest and greatest . Have fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve-Indy:
Anyone know if the above mentioned "new" Motorolas use SAME frequencies as Talkabouts?? Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave