Best way to flush radiator

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips? Is it pretty straightforward? I figure at 5 years and 35K miles, it is probably a good idea to put some new stuff in. Thanks.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a very complete discussion of this with all the does and don'ts listed. you can print it out. I just can't remember where I found it!!! It is in the VCA forum and under FAQ or something like that. I know that this hasn't helped you much, but look around. Other members did a very complete run down on this. Maybe someone else can tell you exactly where to go to get it. I wii go see if I can find it for you.

Doc :2tu: :2tu:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to home page, look on the left side, and click on illustrated upgrades. Then scroll down. There are 2 articles on flushing and purging(very important), but still yet, this is not the info that I am looking for. I will keep looking and maybe someone else on this thread can tell you exactly where to find it. ;)

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally found my sheets on this, but they don't tell me where they came from. Maybe from So. Calif. Viper Club. On the last page, it states any questions contact Ron Fleming at [email protected] It would be worth your effort to contact him and get this information. There is more to it than you think, and different from a regular auto. I hope that this helped you. Any problems, let me know and we will go from there. :p

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, while you flush out that radiator, please concider changing out them factory hoses, mine gave out at 29k. just cruising around town,Sean Roe has a set that even comes with a bleeder valve. Yeah a bit pricey over stock,but well worth the piece of mind....

my 2c, Rick

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way I have found of doing it is using a spill free funnel.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandsplace/0246-lis22150.html

What you do is raise the front of the car up as much as possible. Put on the funnel. Pour in water/antifreeze until full. Then turn on the engine. Let it burp down a bit. Then with the engine running pour water/antifreeze in until full. Again wait till it burps down then pour a little more. Repeat until it takes no more.

:2tu:

Oh ya don't forget to fill up overflow bottle as well.

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did mine last weekend. Very straightforward. Just do a search for coolant and you will find the thread that lists out the exact procedure (from Ron).

The only potential hangup is getting the 5/16" male pipe plug socket. If you have a grinder, it's much faster to buy a 3/8" extension and grind it down than it is to drive all over town looking for the pipe plug socket.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to remove the plugs to change the headgaskets but I would never do it for just a flush. What a pain. I had to remove the starter to get at one of them.

If I was just changing fluid, I would flush multiple times with distilled water and leave the plugs alone.

If I insisted to remove the plugs, I would ensure the plug doesn't strip by buying a 5/16" square steel rod about 1" long and use a deep socket. About $1 and easier than grinding down an extension and maybe making it too small and stripping something.

It took brutal force to pop my plugs open. I heard I should have heated them up first.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drain the radiator (and whatever comes out from the block and heads) after removing the allen head plug at bottom of the driver's side tank. Do it once a year and am good to go. The heck with removing those cylinder block plugs. :p

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do what Steve does but messing around with the plug at the bottom of the radiator is a little freaky too. That area is so weak you risk breaking something. I have a good amount of antiseeze so mine now comes off easy.

Many swear by simply dropping the bottom radiator hose and not messing with any of this stuff.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good points, Craig and Steve...I am MUCH happier changing coolant MORE regularly, thus avoiding many problems. And, of course, changing over to Roe hoses (ONCE !!!)makes it all seem easier since I do dislike repeating the "hose process", especially on Gen I's.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cut into small pieces and feed into the toilet one between each flush.

:cool: