Best way to get sidesills back ON

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, I am really having a hard time getting my sidesills back on the car. Is the trick to put the heat shield in the sill first and then pop it all on together, or do you guys try to put the shield on first?

I can't get the bolt holes under the caps in the door jamb to line up right. I have to put some weight against the sill to line up the holes, and it doesn't seem right. I've tried moving the shield around a bit, but it just seems like I can't orient it the way I want. I'm getting ready to just take the whole lot to a good muffler shop and have them cut off the cat and resonator and put a straight pipe on there - probably run cooler too.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't offer much help on the side sills, but I did recently removed my mufflers in favor of straight pipe. I did not have any trouble with removing or replacing the side sills, just take your time and things will line up!!

Have you considered leaving your cats and just removing the mufflers (sounds awesome)? You could always remove the cats later if you wish. There are implications to think about by removing the cats. I'm sure that others will join in on this. Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any way.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine on and off while I figured out how to put SuperTrapp mufflers on. Make sure the insulation is bent down - the metal lip on the car body must go under the painted side sill and above the foil insulation. My insulation wasn't straight and always poked up and got in the way. I also used "picks" to hold the sill in place - stick a pick in the front hole and work your way back to the rear hole. If the pick or punch or whatever is thinner than the screw, you can wiggle the whole thing around to make all the holes line up. If you have an aftermarket exhaust already, your catalyst might be larger diameter than stock. (I have a Hennessey 3" exhaust.) You might have to push on the insulation around the cat to allow the sill to get onto the car far enough. Lastly, it's flexible aluminum. After a while, I got used to bending and pushing, and it actually helps to keep the screws in place.

BTW - are you doing anything special to prevent the side sill corrosion? Thanks.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 97 GTS has the heat shield stapled inside the side sill covers. To make it fit over the exhaust with more clearance, I took a short 2x4 and used it to push the insulation into the sill cover and better fit the inside shape. After doing this the covers are very easy to put on. Next week I will post with pictures a procedure for eliminating the sheet metal screws with machine screws. Now the screws don't fall out. I almost have it finished.