Better daily driver? Jaguar S-Type R, or Cadillac CTSV?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Jag is an Auto only car, the Caddy is a stick only car. Which do you want? Easy answer. This topic will probably be moved shortly.....

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two neighbors, one with the Jag and one with the Cadillac. The Cadillac has been extremely reliable and seems to be a great car for daily driving. My other neighbor loves his Jag but it seems like it has something wrong and is in the shop all the time! For the money, I'd go with the Cadillac! Good luch, let us know what you end up getting.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a reg Jaguar S-Type and I always had some sort of problem with it. Plus the Value of a Jag drops so fast that you would need to keep the car and not plan to resell. Just my opion.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Jag X-Type and I love it. It is great in the snow and holds up well inside. with that said I would not buy a non vintage Jaguar unless it has a really good warranty. Odd things seem to go wrong with Jaguars that can be expensive to diagnose and fix unless they are covered by warranty.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one who has owned an english car including current models ever buys another one unless they think that hitting yourself in the head with a hammer feels good.Too far to go to a dealer and even if you live right next door you may wait weeks for a fuel pump from England that was finally pulled out of a car on the assembly line.Happened to my neighbor. GTS Bruce

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I work at a Caddy, Land Rover, Saab dealer (Parts Mgr.) We dont see very many problems with the V On the other hand Jags. english cousin, Land Rover...well thats another story....
I got to drive a CTS-V at Fontana (Cal. Speedway) Very nice car..

Cheers,

Ratech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a S-type for four years and had no mechanical problems at all. The resale value wasn't any different than any other car I have owned. I will probably buy a '07 XKR. It does everything my 645 does at half the price.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you spend any time in traffic, having a 6 speed daily driver *****.

Gotta agree with this. Once my job, and commute, changed I found myself buying a daily driver with an auto. Sitting in traffic for 30-40 minutes to go 9 miles sucked with a 6-speed.

If traffic isn't an issue and you OK with a 6-speed, I'd go CTS-V. A friend of mine just picked one up and loves it. I had a regular CTS as a loaner for week and thought it was a very nice car. The only gripe I have is that I'm not very fond of the textured plastic panels used on the interior. Other than that, I thought the car was fantastic.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, here we go, opinions again! Bring on the flames! I own a CTS-V, don't own a Jag, have never driven an SRT-8 in any of it's configurations....but I seriously doubt that any of the vehicles listed can come close to comparing with the CTS-V. Very powerful 4 place car, very reliable car, lots of choices of dealerships if you need work done, gets great mileage, and did I mention, she is a very quick 4 passenger car. I love my Viper for all the right reasons, but GM & Cadillac did their homework on this car. It is a wonderful automobile and a pleasure to drive every day, expressway or 2 lane highway thru the country. The SRT-8 variations look pretty good, but that MDS feature is not available in the SRT variation and regardless of your income level, $50-$60 a tankful, a couple times a week gets old quick. The CTS is a blast to drive... and, oh yeah, she is a quick one, very quick for a sedan!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need 1.Nope too much of a motor head.If it doesn't have 4 wheels and run on pavement I'm not interested.Grunt,run 3 feet and fall over or is it run 3 feet fall over then grunt.I honestly fall asleep during foot ball games.I am more like the guy on TV hearing a motor rev up during the night and opening the window to hear it better. GTS Bruce

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,I like my Jaguar's, from classic (74 Roadster) to modern (01 XJR) and neved had any problems with my XJR.

I did some mods on it ( on the supercharger and ECU) and have about 450HP and 470 TQ.(all that from an engine 1/2 the size of the viper.

You cant't compare a XJR to a SRT 8 or CTS-V, they are all good and fast cars but only one has the magic carpet ride, the classic styling and an interior like only the British can do.
As for quality/problems,may be you should take a look at the link below.

http://autointell-news.com/News-2005/May-2005/May-2005-4/May-25-05-p8.htm

Luc 00GTS

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one who has owned an english car including current models ever buys another one unless they think that hitting yourself in the head with a hammer feels good.Too far to go to a dealer and even if you live right next door you may wait weeks for a fuel pump from England that was finally pulled out of a car on the assembly line.Happened to my neighbor. GTS Bruce

I think some of the parts and mechanical issues have gone away since Ford bought Jag. Wife has an 03 S-Type with no problems at all....so far.

Luis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife has an 03 S Type R. We really like the looks of the car. It performs awesome. The car does get some attention while driving. Nothing like a Viper. I personally like the looks of the Caddy but my wife doesn't like them at all. She says they look too Ghetto. When I picked up the jag I was thinking either Caddy, 300M, Or Jag well I ended up with the jag. I don't think you will go wrong with either. I am sure you can find a better deal on a used Jag over that Caddy since they S type R has been around since 03. IF YOU BUY USED GET A GOOD EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!! or you will be sorry if something ever goes wrong with either...

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an S-Type R, and over the course of my lease, I absolutely pummeled it. It saw more WOT than any other car I've ever had. It was just a fun DD. Quiet, swift, great trans, great looking inside and out. And it never had a single problem, traditional english gremlin or otherwise. Too much road noise from the lo-pro tires though. Under braking and at lo-speeds those things droned way too much.

Never driven a CTS-V, but I've never seen a Caddy inside I like. Love the CTS outside and you can't go wrong with the power, but that interior is [******]. Lotsa cheap plastic and leather.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
S Type R. Caddy's are an older mans car no matter how much power. The Jag is the best of both worlds. Luxury meets LOTS of power.

sorry. i have to disagree. your saying that a caddy is for older people and THAT jag aint. well devilles are for old people but the cts aint. the caddy is faster, cheaper, and better looking. how would that be for an older person?

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0404_400club/index6.html

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd get either one for a daily driver! I'm currently looking at an Acura TL to do the trick for me :) .

S

sachin

Consider an XJR, bigger, faster, more luxurious, better in all aspects. Haven't owned an S-Type R but have owned a few V6 S-types and they are nice but lack a certain finesse that all of the XJR's i've driven had. As with what everyone else has said, make sure you get an extended warranty from Jaguar when you buy it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang