Blue Smoke....... What did I do?

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boys, I was driving in second gear, brought it up over 6000 rpm. A single puff of blue smoke came out the back and the check engine light came on. I let go the pedal and switched into 3rd gear. Light went off and all seems ok with oil pressure. Did I blow a ring? Rev limiter kick in? Is there something I should check immediately... compression?

Its a 96 rt/10 about 5000 miles. Feedback is appreciated

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you hard brake prior to accellaration? Oil tends to go through the connection from valve cover to airbox, get sucked in airbox into throttle and blue smoke is there. ********* racers install a kit that traps the oil.

Pull out filters and see if things are oily.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here's what I think.
You hit the rev limiter and let off quickly. The vacuum in the intake manifold sucked in some oil through the valve guides causing the blue smoke.
How does that sound?

OP
OP
R

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am more at ease now! Thanks for your feedback.... I don't have to sell my wife's wedding ring to get it fixed! (or wait, maybe I should) lol

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am more at ease now! Thanks for your feedback.... I don't have to sell my wife's wedding ring to get it fixed! (or wait, maybe I should) lol

No, save it for the upgrades!

Ted B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here's what I think.
You hit the rev limiter and let off quickly. The vacuum in the intake manifold sucked in some oil through the valve guides causing the blue smoke.
How does that sound?
I don't buy it. The rev limiter cuts fuel, but the throttle body is still open or you wouldn't have hit the limiter. There would probably be less vacuum pressure at that point, than when you just let off the gas pedal.

Did you hard brake prior to accellaration? Oil tends to go through the connection from valve cover to airbox, get sucked in airbox into throttle and blue smoke is there. ********* racers install a kit that traps the oil.

That sounds right. I get a very similar problem when I remove my valve covers and forget to set them upright on my bench. Oil drips into the vent area while the covers are upside-down. When I'm done that oil gets sucked back into throttle body and burns through the motor.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I deleted the OEM PCV system altogether...there's no appreciable vacuum at WOT anyway (on my car), which means just about zero active racing PCV as delivered from DC; -just when you need it most !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixagg