Bought 97 GTS - some questions

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a 1997 GTS about 2 weeks ago - it has 6000 miles on it. I want to make sure I know what is normal so I can treat the car well:
1. Is a decent amount of throw out bearing noise normal with the clutch pedal out?
2. How long does a clutch last "normally"?
3. Is whine from the rear normal when decelerating from higher speeds?
4. The hood is hard to close (that final push from the front), does it need some white grease or something on the rollers?
5. Is there any way to keep the front from scraping on everything? I assume this is normal considering the car height.
6. How long do the tires last and what are the best replacements, especially if there is some driving in the wet?

Any other ideas on the car & feeding of this GREAT car?

Thanks,
Andy Goerdel
1997 GTS
License BYTEME

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your new car,

#1 - yes
#2 - About 12K to 15K miles
#3 - Somewhat, but I don't hear it as my car if pretty loud from the exhaust
#4 - Thats pretty much normal. I also push on each corner to make sure every
thing gets latched and lined up correctly.
#5 - Pretty much normal
#6 - Depends on your driving. So I can't answer. Go with the stock Pilots (C1
rated) I'd buy at least 1 full set and another pair of rear's now.

97's is a good year for the car. Enjoy it. Lots and lots of mods are waiting
for you. :)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with most everything but just want to add.

#5 - Just make sure you go up or down steep inclines at an angle to avoid scraping.

'97 is probably the best year and takes very good to HP mods. What am I saying it is THE best year!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELCOME to the VCA!
#1 = NGR - Neutral Gear Rattle (my Z-06 did it too, same tranny)
#5 Take it SLOOOOOOOOW and at an angle if possible.
#6 Dirve in the WET!!!???? OH NO!!! Thant's what a "******" car is for!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Andy, good choice of year!!!

Try a Fasrack front guard painted to match or an unpainted unit from Roe Racing, check out Sean's site to see some pics and see how it attachs, works great at taking the brunt of the scrape off the fascia off the car.

Might want to consider pulling the front fascia bolt that protudes to the overflow rad tank, moreso if you drive into inclined areas. One bad poke and it pierces the bottle and your toast, the fascia has to come off to replace the bottle, PITA big time.

Tires, if they are OEM, check the born on date the tires, are toast as well. Can them before you slip slide off the road, they could be 6 years old or so, not good!

I tossed mine this year (OEMs MXX3) and went with Kumhos all around, totally different car, hooks like crazy!! Get some!!

any other q's ask away......

what VIN are you? I'm 300613.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents is that the clutch will last as long as you want it to. 60K should be no problem if you don't abuse it. I had mine out at 13,000 for a rear main seal leak and it had no measurable wear.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The neutral gear rattle was eliminated in later cars with the new Mopar synthetic transmission fluid. The new fluid was a major improvement. Change the fluid as soon as you can.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The neutral gear rattle was eliminated in later cars with the new Mopar synthetic transmission fluid. The new fluid was a major improvement. Change the fluid as soon as you can.
I had my Viper tech do this and it helped a bunch . Much less NGR now.(neutral gear rattle)

OP
OP
B

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the information everybody. It really helps to know what is going on so I don't worry about it and can treat my baby right.

Thanks,
Andy Goerdel
1997 GTS
License BYTEME

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
genXgts: Did you buy the Kuhmos V700 ????

yep, tossed them on this year, they rock.

First gear from a full throttle dump at a crawl and nothing but bite, not even a chrip. Insane traction, pitching her into corners like never before.

Hopefully have some decent times to back it up in the coming weeks at a track event in late Sept, I'll post the times.

On OEM 5 year old tires, bald, I was hitting high 1.9s and 12.0x, 12.1x at 120ish. Not bad, but hoping for some action in the 11s with new exhaust and the Kumhos.

Shoot me an email if you want to discuss the Kumhos, there are some drawbacks, mainly tire life (over half the tire gone in one afternoon at all 4 corners at a track event) and the tossing of stones on cruddy roads!

take care,

spdrcrj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
genXgts-

Your GTS looks beautiful. Its a nice clear pic and makes me think. I was contemplating getting a '97 GTS from BP but thought maybe a '95 Ferrari F355 would be a better way to go. Looking at cars like yours.....gives me a headache. Now I want a Viper again!!!! LOL Maybe I should call Bill again. :)

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations! You will love this car. Give some thought to adding a warranty. I got one from Chuck Tator. It helped me sleep at night and keeps me from freaking out every time I hear a clunk or whine.