Bought a GTS. Can any Canadians help me with importing advice.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey as stated above, I bought a viper. it's a 1998 Viper red GTS, I'm importing is this weekend or next weekend into Canada. I've been on the RIV website, and have what documents I have been able to get so far, but have any other Canadian imported their viper and what advice do you have?

Kinda nervous here as you may guess, but excited too...

thanks

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, I need daytime running lights by 45 days after I get possession of the car. Is this difficult/expensive, or is it something that an average joe can do?

thanks

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is companies that will help you import it. I would also contact a customs broker as they will help you with the paper work.

Canuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

Other people help me with Viper stuff, I can offer some help to you on this one. I imported a Viper myself last fall.

(1) Get yourself a customs broker. This is far and away the most important. The $150-$300 is the best money you will spend to get rid of the hassles. Get a customs broker that actually works at that border crossing with an office on-site.
(2) Import on a weekday during business hours. If you go with a shipping company, they may not realize this. The US side has an export team for vehicles and they only work certain hours, such as not at all on Sunday. If you try to export on a day they aren't there, apparently the US side can impound it in some crappy lot (no guarantee of safety to the vehicle) until the day that the team is in.
(3) Choose your border crossing wisely. Not every small crossing has vehicle export guys working, nor even many customs brokers to help you. Would **** if the border guards sent you to another crossing.
(4) I believe many states are set up that if you pick up the purchased car on/in a trailer, you don't have to pay that state's tax (ie California), but if you drove the Viper away you would have to pay the state tax. Some states (Texas?) don't have a sales tax, so more of a moot point.
(5) I recommend bringing some documentation that shows in plain English that a Viper is made in the USA (thus exempt from extra duty at border, as per NAFTA rules). I also would recommend some documentation that shows fair market value of that exact vehicle, or proof of arms-lengths market valuation like the fact that it was bought on a competitive auction.
(6) If you would have been able to leave the car it in the US for 16 months in storage, it would be 15 years old you wouldn't have to do any hassle of modifications for headlights, child restraints, etc since it would turn 15 years old and be exempt from needing any mods through RIV program.
(7) My understanding of the earlier daytime running lights (in the earlier generation anyways) is that it is just a plugin, like a fuse or something. Everything else is already on the car and you just buy this DRL flasher and insert it in the required place, and problem solved.

Best wishes and good luck!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother did this with his truck bought from Flint, MI.

1) he bought temporary tags in Michigan, drove across the border. He had to notify them 48 hours prior to crossing. (certain paperwork is required, listed online)

2) he took the vehicle to a Canadian tire for the daytime running light upgrade

3) about two weeks after importing and providing all the paperwork that he'd changed the running lights, he got his Canadian Registration, rather than the US title.

My brother also financed his vehicle and the bank was impressed how little he paid....you may have the same experience.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother also financed his vehicle and the bank was impressed how little he paid....you may have the same experience.

Regards,
Aaron

Ya, first the bank manager was shocked that I'd want such a high loan until she thought about what it was. I got a stellar loan rate at 5.5%, and they didn't want the vehicle as collateral. Kind of a good thing in my books...

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running lights are easy. Buy the real Chrysler day daytime module the part number is 04672271. The wiring plug is already there just plug it in to the module and bolt the module down with two bolts 06102132AA.

Do not jump things in the fuse box as a cheap "free" daytime lights kit. The fuse box is sold with the complete wiring harness. Chrysler put the module on a metal bar away from everything for a reason.

Garrett

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garrett - That is the standard Chrysler DRL module right? Used in neons, Vipers, Prowlers, etc

I remember I got mine out of a Neon and it was a PN match...

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone know where I can get the manufacturers statement of origin? apparently i have to fax this to US customs at least 3 days in advance but I have no idea how to even get it

thanks

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garrett - That is the standard Chrysler DRL module right? Used in neons, Vipers, Prowlers, etc

I remember I got mine out of a Neon and it was a PN match...
Im picking the viper up in the US on saturday. Can anyone tell me where these modules are located so I can snag one at the wreckers. I have no idea where I am looking and what it looks like.

I am more concerned about the Alberta provincial inspection. I had my other car done today and it passed okay minus a bulb, but this viper is 14 years old and the inspection list is 3 pages long. what scares me most the the "steering" section checklist on the form because if anything will be wrong it would be that (my guess)

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im picking the viper up in the US on saturday. Can anyone tell me where these modules are located so I can snag one at the wreckers. I have no idea where I am looking and what it looks like.

I am more concerned about the Alberta provincial inspection. I had my other car done today and it passed okay minus a bulb, but this viper is 14 years old and the inspection list is 3 pages long. what scares me most the the "steering" section checklist on the form because if anything will be wrong it would be that (my guess)

Where are you taking it for inspection? Go buy your module new from Varsity.. I think it was 80 bucks

I know it's nerve racking..been there done that.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you taking it for inspection? Go buy your module new from Varsity.. I think it was 80 bucks

I know it's nerve racking..been there done that.
which inspection? I think the federal RVI inspections are only done at Canadian tire. I'm not sure where to get the provincial inspection done, which is what worries me most. I got my regular car done a few days ago somewhere, but nothing jumped out for me to think they are anything special. I guess any place that I have to pay $100+/hour to someone I am bound to be worried.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key is to pull the module out of a car that has a part number match. I know some Neons were a match. Neons are located under center console or behind radio depending on year.

Yes, Crappy Tire for RIV inspection to complete form 2.

What do you need in Alberta that we dont in Ontario that is being referred to as provincial inspection? What is that? E test and safety?

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key is to pull the module out of a car that has a part number match. I know some Neons were a match. Neons are located under center console or behind radio depending on year.

Yes, Crappy Tire for RIV inspection to complete form 2.

What do you need in Alberta that we dont in Ontario that is being referred to as provincial inspection? What is that? E test and safety?
sweet, thanks. I am going to a big wreckers on sunday in hopes to find one in a neon.

My neighbour just told me he does alberta provincial inspections so when I get the viper here I am to go through their inspections list and fix what I can, then he will look at it. There is no e-testing in alberta (amazing bonus), but yes there is a safety, but the difference is the safety only has to be done once here when it is to be registered in alberta, after that it can go to crap and it never has to be safetied again even if the car gets sold

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know anything about bringing a Viper into Canada but I do know that if you have to take it to Crappy Tire - you do not, under any circumstances, leave it alone and out of sight. If it takes 3 hours for inspection I suggest you sit there within sight of the viper for the 3 hours. I have known quite a few people who have worked for Crappy tire in the past and the stories I have been told would make you sick. They have a lot of young new mechanics there and co-op students just dying to get a hold of a beautiful car for a "test" drive. I'm really not trying to be dramatic and scare you, but just a heads up.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know anything about bringing a Viper into Canada but I do know that if you have to take it to Crappy Tire - you do not, under any circumstances, leave it alone and out of sight. If it takes 3 hours for inspection I suggest you sit there within sight of the viper for the 3 hours. I have known quite a few people who have worked for Crappy tire in the past and the stories I have been told would make you sick. They have a lot of young new mechanics there and co-op students just dying to get a hold of a beautiful car for a "test" drive. I'm really not trying to be dramatic and scare you, but just a heads up.

VERY good advice. They had a younger guy do mine and he wanted to drive it badly. They were going to do the e test as we were there anyways and as he was baking up I noticed the tires were wider than the rollers. if he had backed up he would have hit the rims on both sides not to mention he also would not have been able to drive.

I yelled for him to stop the car and told him the issue. Told me he didnt care. he wanted to drive it on the rollers and it would be fine. The manager was floating by and heard this and he told the guy that it also would not fit. He said he would make it fit. I then told him to please get out of my car and I have never been back there.

Yeah. Watch those places.....

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound advice for sure. I do not plan to take the viper to Canadian tire for the provincial inspection, which is an inspection that could possibly lead to needing to test drive it.

On the other hand, Canadian tire is the only place that does the federal inspections for cars brought into Canada. This type of stuff shouldn't require any sort of driving, such as does it have daytime running lights, tether restraint for a car seat, etc etc. But dont worry I dont expect to not be there when these inspections are done.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a viper in the Ontario club that Canadian tire put their aftermarket universal running light module on. This is what happened. They ran the wiring to close to the steering shaft and the wiring wrapped around it the first time the customer pulled in a parking lot. This pulled a spark plug wire off, the customer not wanting to tow the car limped it home and to my dealer. The plug wire was burnt, the cat was in questionable condition. The customer spent his own money to fix the car not wanting to deal with Canadian tire again.

The OEM day time module is the same for a neon pickup and jeep. But beware about getting a used part. Most went bad and a lot of people did not replace them.

You don't have to take your car to Canadian tire for the inspection even if the tell you too at the boarder. I normally put a partsrack rubber plate bracket (no holes) on. Get the running lights working, safety it, sign some import form and you are done. I don't know were the customers get the form from but I have signed it.

Good luck

Garrett

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finall;y got the viper to my house in Canada. It was a long day yesterday.

anyways I opened the hood and now I dont know how to close it. can anyone help me out with this?

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back of the hood down, then go to the front of the hood, remove watch, push down on the front of the hood. Try to position your hands on the hood were the support bar is under the hood. Push closed and make sure both latches click (right and left)

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys...

another thing...is the gas pedal suppose to make a creeking (or ckicking) sound when I let off the gas? Its just a teeny noise, but it bugs me

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

No reason.
haha, looking to sell it, but it doesnt matter to me one way or another if i do. Looking at one with racing stripes so if i could sell this and get the other one and break even on it i'm good. Racing stripes are kinda pricey to get put on (NO VINYL)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang