Brake Bleeders Size?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called SpeedBleeder to get 8 (# needed for Gen III) bleeders, but their chart only went up to 2002 Vipers. Therefore, I would appreciate any information on the sizing of the bleeders for the Gen III cars, so I can order the SpeedBleeders. For reference, the Gen II cars use 6 bleeders that are part no. SB1010S, the first "10" is the mm total thread length, the second "10" is 1.0 mm thread width, and the "S" is for short.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the Gen III bleeder screw is a different size than previous models...this became apparent when I tried to use a set of brake pressure guages purchased thru Snap-On...and explains just why that set has SO MANY adapters.

Somewhere in our garage, I have a stash of both types...so, Jim, if I can locate them, I'll try to grab a set of measurments for you...betting that Viper Wizard beats me to it!!

You can also order the Gen III bleeder from Dodge and send that to SpeedBleeder to be safe.

Happy Holidays

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I talked to Tom Sessions earlier and he's going to try to get me a measurement this evening.

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Me three.

BTW ILLSMOQ, I confirmed my exhaust is 3" so I'm good. Thanks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Bleeder screws for Gen III calipers are part number 05093297AA (as read from Mopar package)...front and rear are same size (a change from proir models).

Jim, I'll send you an e-mail for phone number...as I have the basic dimensions...BUT, you'll STILL need to send SpeedBleeders an actual part to be sure that you have a proper fit.

In spite of the multiple adapters furnished with my above mentioned gauges...the length as measured from the bottom of the hex to the tip of the bleeder screw was the main problem preventing a good seal as the tips were too long.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to SpeedBleeder and offered to send them a bleed screw to measure so they could see if one of theirs works (probably not per their chart though) and hope they will consider manufacturing some. They seemed willing to consider it, though not wholeheartedly. If others would demonstrate interest to them (1 888 879 7016) as well as provide information on other cars with the same size bleed screws so I can show them a large market, that will help. Note, they said it costs about $300-$500 to do the tooling, so they'll need to know they can recover that and profit of course. (Alternatively, they said they can be sent a set of screws and drill them out and install the plunger, etc.)

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with Speed Bleeder about getting (making?) speed bleeder valves for my SRT-10 and they sent me a set (8) of what they thought were the correct size to try out. I installed them last week and ran Viper Days with them this weekend. First, they work as advertised. Brake bleeding is now an easy one-man job. I got rid of my homemade sports bottle catch can and bought a plastic bleeder bottle with an attached magnet that sticks to the brake disc so you don't risk the catch bottle falling over when the fluid flows in.
The specific bleeder part number is SB1010S, size 10m x 1.0.
Cost $7.00 each, $60.95 with shipping for a set of 8.
They get torqued to 80 in.lbs (10 nM). Check after driving a few miles to make sure you don't see any seeping and retorque if they look wet.
The only outside difference between the Speed Bleeder and the OEM valve is that the Speed Bleeder is threaded all the way to the underside of the nut portion of the valve, so a few thread are visible above the caliper. The OEM valve has a smooth shank under the nut where the rubber cap tether attaches.
Speed Bleeder Products: www.speedbleeder.com , phone 815-736-6296

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed these on my car last weekend and they work as advertised, bleeding your brakes is now a one man job. These are great little devices however, at the risk of a little embarrassment, I did learn a valuable lesson that I thought I would share…

When you have finished bleeding the rear left line, be absolutely sure you have properly tightened the bleeder screw before moving to the front right. Otherwise, with every push of the brake peddle you end up squirting brake fluid all over the wheel well without notice until you see it running down your driveway. :)

I’ll take the heat for a rookie mistake if it helps someone out in the future.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a related question..the '99 service manual shows the brake line to the rear wheels tees of near the right rear so the line to the left rear seems to be the longest (haven't actually checked this on the car). So, should I start the flush at the left rear wheel?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the Gen2 part SB1010S is also working on Gen3 calipers.
Doesn't make sense

What is the right part no for the GEN3 bleeder ?

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked my Speed Bleeder Products invoice and the Gen 3 part number is: SB1010S. I installed mine without any problems and they work great.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just bled my brakes with the speed bleeders....sooo easy.

thanks again for figureing out the part numbers:2tu:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ told me to get a set. I ordered a set, installed and changed fluid/bled brakes by myself. Those are so easy to install and easy to use.
Love them.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with Speed Bleeder about getting (making?) speed bleeder valves for my SRT-10 and they sent me a set (8) of what they thought were the correct size to try out. I installed them last week and ran Viper Days with them this weekend. First, they work as advertised. Brake bleeding is now an easy one-man job. I got rid of my homemade sports bottle catch can and bought a plastic bleeder bottle with an attached magnet that sticks to the brake disc so you don't risk the catch bottle falling over when the fluid flows in.
The specific bleeder part number is SB1010S, size 10m x 1.0.
Cost $7.00 each, $60.95 with shipping for a set of 8.
They get torqued to 80 in.lbs (10 nM). Check after driving a few miles to make sure you don't see any seeping and retorque if they look wet.
The only outside difference between the Speed Bleeder and the OEM valve is that the Speed Bleeder is threaded all the way to the underside of the nut portion of the valve, so a few thread are visible above the caliper. The OEM valve has a smooth shank under the nut where the rubber cap tether attaches.
Speed Bleeder Products: Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder , phone 815-736-6296

Wow, I don't know how I've missed the subsequent posts to mine from a year ago in this thread?! Anyway, a year ago, I bought an extra Gen3 bleeder from the Dodge dealer and shipped it to Speed Bleeder with a request to make SpeedBleeders available for the Gen3 Viper. (I had previously called them and they didn't know if one of theirs would work or not.) They never got back to me, but I guess they must have measured the one I sent in, and determined it was the same size as the Gen2 bleeder. Glad this got worked out!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
MikeR and ILLSMOQ,

How much fluid did it take to bleed all of them?

Did you use the 5 pumps per bleeder method?

Any tips?

I just ordered a set and am anxious to use them on my GTS.

Dan

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MikeR and ILLSMOQ,

Any tips?

Dan

I tend to over do it when it comes to that kind of thing....7 bottles and it was all clean...and easy

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I usually use 3 quarts of Motul 600 for a full bleed, 1 quart at the track to bleed just the calipers (they get the most heat).

Reaction score
Speed bleeders are great, I just want to let you know that the only way to completely bleed a SRT system is to do it with the DRB3 scan tool. This is the only way to fully flush the system including the ABS unit and associated lines. If this is not done then there is still old fluid, air, and potentially moisture in the ABS braking system that contributes to poor pedal feel and high temp stability.

Just food for thought

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So they won't eventually corrode. The basic bleeders are zinc plated and are rated for a salt spray of 300hrs. Eventually they will begin to corrode, the stainless ones won't.

Plus the SS bleeders look cool. Thats why I got them, oh yea and what Fast too said.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MikeR and ILLSMOQ,

Any tips?

Dan

And I just did what Kurtis said. I used about 8 botttles. Started at the r/r corner, l/r, r/f and then l/f. I just watched the fluid and waited till it looked really clear coming out. I probably did 10+ pumps or more per bleeder.

It was great how well it worked, it works so well and so quick that you really have to keep a eye on the resevoir so that you dont run out. But brake bleeding has never been so easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32