brake pads for the rear

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whats a good brand of brake pads to use on the rear to give them more bite....I dont care about brake dust on the rear. I understand this can help offset the brake balance issue on the Gen1's.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hawk or Brakeman 3s

If someone asked me what performance car to buy i wouldnt say "Dodge". I would say Dodge Viper.
Hawk makes several different brakepads ranging from street pads that are possibly less effective than the stock ViperBrembos up to race pads that will squeak on the street and have a higher temp range that will not maintain a proper transfer layer at street temperatures. Which specific Hawk pad are you recommending for this guy 99 R/T 10 ???

Yes it can but first you should consider Toms rear brake upgrade.
+1 on toms rear calipers. It is the most cost effective way to get better brake balance.
Read ENTIRELY through Tom's Website for some very informative stuff on our Rear brake system.
http://40mmbrakes.auto.officelive.com/default.aspx

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Whats a good brand of brake pads to use on the rear to give them more bite....I dont care about brake dust on the rear. I understand this can help offset the brake balance issue on the Gen1's.

Some IMPORTANT questions first: the PAD AT THE FRONT matters ! How/Where will you drive?

Have you done Tom's Big Brake Rear? Gen 1-2 benefits greatly, and gives more rear bite.

Whether you have, or not, the PAD AT THE FRONT matters ! If you have a less-bite pad at the front, then adding a high-bite rear-only adds rear bias; But putting the same pads Front and rear does nothing to impriove rear bias.

So if you have STOCK PADS at Front...consider Brakeman 3 at rear. Or EBC Yellows (cheaper)

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Just took toms 40mm calipers off my car with probably 1k miles on them and they will be going in classifieds soon. Let me know if you are interested...I went with a big brake kit...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone asked me what performance car to buy i wouldnt say "Dodge". I would say Dodge Viper.
Hawk makes several different brakepads ranging from street pads that are possibly less effective than the stock ViperBrembos up to race pads that will squeak on the street and have a higher temp range that will not maintain a proper transfer layer at street temperatures. Which specific Hawk pad are you recommending for this guy 99 R/T 10 ???

]

Hawk HPs or HPS if mostly street driving. Better? :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang