Brake Upgrade Complete

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake upgrade completed this weekend. Features R1 Concept drilled/slotted rotors 13" and EBC Red Stuff pads. Still breaking them in, but much improved already over the stock parts.

036.JPG

040.JPG

037.JPG

:usa:

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi RobZilla,
Nice job !
Not to nit pick your work in any way shape or form....but it looks as if you may have reversed the rotors.
(I did the same thing when I changed mine out and another member spotted it from the pictures I posted)

Lance

OP
OP
R

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curious of that myself when we began the project. I checked several web sites and most had the rotors positioned as I installed them. Since there was no markers or instructions on directional rotors, I went with what was pictured... Is there a difference in the direction of the slots ?

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curious of that myself when we began the project. I checked several web sites and most had the rotors positioned as I installed them. Since there was no markers or instructions on directional rotors, I went with what was pictured... Is there a difference in the direction of the slots ?

It looks like the rear rotors need t be reversed. The slots should be pointing forward just like the first pic.

Hoop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are slanted forward. That is the driver side of the car.

Nah dude, that middle pic is the drivers side rear. You can see the battery box, the exaust coming from under the rocker panel and the position of the caliper. It's going the wrong direction

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the black rotors. What are the rotors coated with? Two rotors would be nice.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey RobZilla,

When the wheels are turning, the slots should be moving the brake dust outward.

Its a bit difficult to see in this picture, but if you look closely you can see the slots on my rotors.

You must be registered for see images attach

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am not understanding what you guys are saying. The rotors and supposed to have the cut slanting toward the front of the car correct? If so that is how they are. The top and bottom pic are the front passenger side of the car and the middle one is the driver side rear. Are they supposed to be the other way? I ask because I am the one who helped put them on. All the pictures we could find show the cuts slanting toward the front.

See...

for_eugene_065.jpg

10116rr_rotor.jpg

I could be wrong but Graphite I think yours are the wrong way.

Last edited:

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Then why do all the pictures I found including the ones I posted show them going toward the front? Are all these people wrong? I am not trying to be difficult I just really dont know.

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not understanding what you guys are saying. The rotors and supposed to have the cut slanting toward the front of the car correct? If so that is how they are. The top and bottom pic are the front passenger side of the car and the middle one is the driver side rear. Are they supposed to be the other way? I ask because I am the one who helped put them on. All the pictures we could find show the cuts slanting toward the front.

See...

for_eugene_065.jpg

10116rr_rotor.jpg

I could be wrong but Graphite I think yours are the wrong way.

Skeetachya,

The pic above on the blue GTS.....The rotors is reversed. You see the slotts? There pointing towards the rear when they should be slanted or pointing towards the front of the car. Graphites rotors are on correct. All you need to do is reverse the rear rotors.

:2tu:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that guys rotors are incorrect also then?

I was speaking of the vanes in the rotors themselves around the outer circumference. Those should face toward the rear of the car. Stoptech's install directions when I installed mine said do not be deceived by the direction of the machined slots on the rotor faces. Those do face toward the front on my car but you have to go by the vanes to be sure they are on correct, not the machined slots.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope this helps, its from Stoptechs FAQ page

How do I tell what direction the rotors go on the car?

(Driver's perspective looking forward)

The StopTech AeroRotors® are directional. If they are not installed on the proper side of the vehicle, airflow will be restricted and cooling will be severely diminished. The vanes on a rotor act like a centrifugal air fan, drawing air from the inside of the rotor and flowing it to the outside. The vanes of a directional rotor should arch back like arms on a pinwheel. On the top side of the rotor, the vanes should curve toward the back of the car.

The slots on StopTech AeroRotors are cut in the OPPOSITE direction of the vanes. The pattern on a drilled AeroRotor also has the same appearance. The direction of the slots or hole pattern should not be used to determine what side of the vehicle to place a rotor. Different manufacturers may have different strategies for slot and hole patterns.

The only correct way to determine what side a directional rotor goes on is the internal vane direction.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos. I just learned something...

Hope this helps, its from Stoptechs FAQ page

How do I tell what direction the rotors go on the car?

The StopTech AeroRotors® are directional. If they are not installed on the proper side of the vehicle, airflow will be restricted and cooling will be severely diminished. The vanes on a rotor act like a centrifugal air fan, drawing air from the inside of the rotor and flowing it to the outside. The vanes of a directional rotor should arch back like arms on a pinwheel. On the top side of the rotor, the vanes should curve toward the back of the car.

The slots on StopTech AeroRotors are cut in the OPPOSITE direction of the vanes. The pattern on a drilled AeroRotor also has the same appearance. The direction of the slots or hole pattern should not be used to determine what side of the vehicle to place a rotor. Different manufacturers may have different strategies for slot and hole patterns.

The only correct way to determine what side a directional rotor goes on is the internal vane direction.

OP
OP
R

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for all this great information on this topic. I think a lot of people including myself have leared a lot. I'll check my rotors next weekend and see if indeed they are placed correctly and if there are even vented as Chuck mentioned.

Ill also check with the manufacturer and see what their installation instructions are.

Ill post the final results.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I just got home from Viper Days out at Buttonwillow Ca..
I had the opportunity to talk to one of the Stoptech engineers that was at the track.

The info posted by Fast Too is great and correct (for vaned rotors). I asked the Stoptech guy about the direction of the "slots" on the face of the rotors. He explained that on their rotors, they did not want the internal vanes and the slots to be lined up in the same direction due to the heat and possible stress cracking. By putting the slots in slanting forward, they run across the internal vanes and eliminate stress points. He went on to explain that the slots do not "move" the dust outward or inward for that matter, but merely help facilitate in keeping the pads clean.

Conversely, the rotors on my car are made by EBC and definitely ARE directional per the manufacturer's instructions and are stamped left and right.

So in short, I was WRONG in saying that your rotors were on backwards. Obviously different rotor manufacturers have different approaches to their design and engineering.
The direction of the slots do not necessarily dictate the direction of the rotor.

Lance

OP
OP
R

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your clarity in correcting your post. As I expected, R1 Concept Rotors are not vaned. They are not stamped directional either, thus I went with what I observed on their website. Still haven't heard back from their engineering dept. as to their recommendation. Looks as though I will have to place a phone call to get an answer.

Side note: Now that everything is broken in correctly, the performance is vastly superior to OEM and I am thoroughly pleased. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang