Brake upgrade!

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to do a brake upgrade, does anybody have a set of gen 3 brake calipers there wanting to unload...

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to do a brake upgrade, does anybody have a set of gen 3 brake calipers there wanting to unload...
i have a brand new set of drilled and slotted rotors. they are sized for the big brake kit on a gen2. $400 for all 4

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good I might take you up on that! But first I need to find the calipers... Are gen 3 and 4 brakes Calipers the same?

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard of Daves big brakes but not Toms big brakes! I'll have to search them, thanks...

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you! Running 20's on the rear really makes the brakes look like crap...

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^. Thanks Mark for the info but like everything money is the key factor. So Daves big brake kit seems to be my best option. I'm trying to piece together the parts to save as much money as I can... I found some gen 4 calipers on eBay are they the same as the gen 3?

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a used front big brake kit that I will be taking off of my '97 GEN II. It would come complete with the rotors, SRT-10 calipers, stainless lines, and the needed SRT-10 mounting brackets. If your interested send me a PM.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^. Thanks Mark for the info but like everything money is the key factor. So Daves big brake kit seems to be my best option. I'm trying to piece together the parts to save as much money as I can... I found some gen 4 calipers on eBay are they the same as the gen 3?

Same calipers.

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've looked on davesbigbrakes website and I'm not 100% sure what all I have to get! I would like to use my front calipers if possible, so can I put the fronts on the back and put srt calipers on the front? Please give me as much info as can.. Also car is a 2000 gts non abs.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I've looked on davesbigbrakes website and I'm not 100% sure what all I have to get! I would like to use my front calipers if possible, so can I put the fronts on the back and put srt calipers on the front? Please give me as much info as can.. Also car is a 2000 gts non abs.

Yes, you can order the DBB kit for either, 14" srT brakes on front with your 13" front brakes/rotors moved to the back. Or have 14" all four corners, from JonB . With 14" all corners you'll need 4 srT front rotors for proper offset for the rear . 14" front you install the adapter block and the srT caliper,adding the cnc machined spacers [4in the kit] and longer wheel nuts.No cutting required front or rear. The rear adapter block is slightly different from the front block ,mounting hole centers are for your 13" front calipers [much smaller than the srT calipers] . The e-brake assembly is also specific to 14" or 13" rotors so you must make sure you don't get a 14" e-brake assembly that's further away and different offset on a 13" skinnier rotor.Going to 14" front with your 13" rear gives a better brake bias that doesn't require much fussing with the proportioning valve.The 13" front rotor will still look small in a big wheel though, so make sure what you want and decide to go with.

Comparison
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents, watch that e-brake line as it runs over the front of the control arm, tends to almost rest on the corner of the control arm and can wear through quick. I re-constructed my bracket with a blank from Dave, problem solved.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents, watch that e-brake line as it runs over the front of the control arm, tends to almost rest on the corner of the control arm and can wear through quick. I re-constructed my bracket with a blank from Dave, problem solved.

Do you happen to have a photo ? I just installed a DBB e-brake kit 2 weeks ago and "kluged" something myself to prevent the chafing you are warning about. However, I would always like to see a more professional or more elegant solution than my tie wraps and rubber hose !

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wear through quick? I have never heard of it wearing through and I have had the kit on my car for a while now. It is metal shielding with a cable in it, would take a very long time to wear through.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang