Brake Warning Lamp

Wojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had StopTech 4 wheel brakes for the past month. They have been working great! Now I get the Brake Warning Lamp. It appears that I have no rear brakes. The car does not stop well and there appears to be excessive pedal travel.
I competed the Basic Hydraulic Test, that is, ran the car applied the brakes slowly, gradually increased pedal effort to heavy effort, then released the pedal. My warning light goes out. Brakes feel better. Then I turn the engine off, re-start car, Warning Light comes back on. Brakes do not feel right, excessive pedal feel. :confused:
Someone suggested the the porportioning valve maybe defective? Any suggestions?

Chris

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
umm...the only two things attached to the brake light are the Emergency brake, and the brake fluid level sensor. (at least on an 02) Did you check the fluid level? I doubt it would be the proportioning valave... but worth a check. try unplugging the connector from the valve while both situations are occuring-(normal, and excessive)-and see if any change occurs.

OP
OP
W

Wojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Fluid level is fine. I removed the proportioning valve, this made no difference. Pedal travel is excessive.
Reconnected the proportioning valve, no changes. Pedal travel is still excessive.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it is the proportioning valve. Or rear breaks need to be bled again.

Thanks,

Chris

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
from what you describe, definatly sounds like air in the system... as it expands from getting hot, pedal feel gets worse.

Check all the brake lines, blleder fittings, etc. for leakage. if they are OK, re-bleed the system and see if it clears up the problem. If THAT still doesnt fix it, then its valve-time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4