Bravo -10; Halfshaft - 1

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it was bound to happen.

I took the Viper to the track Saturday with the new setup. I wanted to see if the car would run a 10 second pass on the BFG drag radials and pump gas.

My first pass right out of the box was a 11.48 with a 1.85 short time. Knowing that they were going to piss and moan about running faster than an 11.50 without a cage and jacket, I decided to just make 1/8 mile passes and work on launching the car.

After about 8 burnouts and 8 1/8 mile passes, I was feeling more comfortable with launching the car. With 19 psi in the tires and leaving at 3000 rpms, I pulled a 1.57 60' on the drag radials, but aborted the run anyway. The car still bogged a tad out of the whole. I figured I'd leave a little harder next time.

The next pass, I left the tire pressure at 19 psi, but tried to leave at 3500. It spun a little, but I went ahead and stayed in it. The car went 11.09 @ 127 with a 1.70 60'. Ok, so 3500 rpms is too high for 19 psi.

Next pass, I took the tire pressure down to 17 psi and tried to leave at around 3200 rpms, figuring that should be somewhere in the middle of bogging and spinning. I pulled a 1.62 60' and the car went 11.02 @ 127. With less tire pressure, the tires bit harder and the car bogged. Ok, so with less tire pressure, 3200 rpms isn't high enough. I figured with 17 psi in the tires, I should be able to bump it back up to 3500 rpms.

For the final pass, I made sure to do a full on John Force burnout and get the drag radials good and hot. Staged the car, took the rpms up to about 3500-3600 and let it rip. The car hooked HARD and then SNAP! Busted the driver's side halfshaft, u-joint and end caps. That should have been one hell of a pass. Oh well. [******] happens.

The car definitely has a 10 second pass in it the way it sits on 92 octane and radials. I just didn't get to prove it this weekend.

I guess if you're not breaking something, you're either not making enough power or not trying hard enough.

So, who has some stock halfshafts/u-joints laying around? :D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one (in the classifieds), but I think you woudl be better off calling Larry Macedo (407-246-6511) and get a set of his 800HP halfshafts.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much HP are the stock 1/2 shafts good for? After I get my Paxton installed and have a 150 shot of the go-go juice, I will be pushing 700 rwhp.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the BTR half-shafts and they have worked well. I just installed a Quaife from Unitrax and in a discussion with them, I mentioned that I had heard that they were having problems with their titanium super shafts. Devon from Unitrax explained that their first generation titaniums had some failures, but, there has not been a single failure of the new version with the fine splines. That is a pretty good testimonial due to the large number of people running their half shafts.

BTW any half shaft will fail if you don't get some slip or if you start to wheel hop.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question, if you put in hd halfshaft, won't that lead to something else breaking(rearend, trans, etc)? I guess the way I see it, the fuse in the system is the halfshafts, which seem sensible to me, since they are much less expensive to replace than the rest of the drivetrain. I only have 550rwhp with street tires, so I don't think I have to worry, but it sure is fun keeping it straight when you hit it at 30mph!!!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I did a little closer inspection under the car tonight. It looks like it's not so much the halfshaft itself that broke, but the passenger side u-joint. The halfshaft is still intact and just laying on the framerail. The caps on the side closest to the pumpkin even look "ok".

Once I pull the half shaft off, I should be able to tell if anything twisted inside. But as it looks right now, the only thing that really looks busted is the u-joint. I'll just replace the whole thing anyway. No telling what else is going on in there.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang