British Columbia gets new Speeding Law this month ...

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From the Vancouver Sun ...

Excessive speed could cost you thousands, plus impoundment of your vehicle
An average of 167 people are killed due to excessive speeds on B.C. roads every year, and May and September are the deadliest months.
By TODD COYNE AND EMILY JACKSON, Vancouver Sun September 4, 2010 Comments (44)
New provisions in B.C.’s Motor Vehicle Act will cost excessive speeders dearly once they take effect later this month.

Starting Sept. 20, drivers caught speeding in excess of 40 kilometres over the posted speed limit can expect to pay as much as $737 for ticket, towing and storage fees up front while their vehicle is held for a mandatory seven-day impound.

Subsequent costs include a $320 ICBC driver-risk premium charge every year for three years, and three demerit points on their driving records. And that’s just for first-time offenders.

Those busted for excessive speeding a second time will have their vehicles impounded for 30 days and can expect to shell out as much as $1,243 up front, plus a $370 annual driver-risk premium each year for three years.

For third-time and subsequent excessive-speeding offences within two years, drivers will suffer a 60-day vehicle impoundment and be charged as much as $1,903 plus an additional $430 ICBC premium each year for three years.

B.C. superintendent of motor vehicles Steve Martin said Friday it’s important drivers understand that these new anti-speeding measures are mandatory and not at the discretion of traffic-enforcement officers.

“You’re going to be stranded on the highway,” Martin warned speeders. “If they’ve got their family in the car and they’re heading up to the Okanagan for a long weekend on the Coquihalla, they’re still going to lose their car.”

Martin said an average of 167 people are killed due to excessive speeds on B.C. roads every year, and that May and September are the deadliest months, with more drivers trying to make the most of their first and last long weekends of the summer.

Martin said the solicitor-general’s and public safety ministry latched onto the idea of mandatory impounds for speeders after seeing positive results from similar measures in Ontario that took effect in September of 2007.

“They introduced significant fines ranging from $2,000 to $10,000 and also vehicle impoundments, and what they have seen are better road-safety outcomes as a result. In terms of fatalities per hundred thousand, Ontario leads the country in results.”

Martin said that while the province will not necessarily deploy more police to crack down on speeders come Sept. 20, traffic enforcement will be fully aware of the new laws and motivated to enforce them.

Read more: Excessive speed could cost you thousands, plus impoundment of your vehicle

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah ,BC will have one angry beehive of notorists brewing .
Hope Mike de Jomg will be the first to collect a speeding ticket
going 40 over the posted speed limit:lmao:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, it's another of the Liberals palns on cutting tourism. Completely ******** as I'm not likely to take 5 minutes to pass a supertrain Semi or buses by only going 20mph over the speed limnit when passing (32kph). I step on the gas and in less than a half second I'm well past 30mph (50kph) and continueing to speed until I'm SAFELY past whatever I'm passing. No "Smart/Tofor" for me. Instead of ordering the SAFE (stops in under 100') cars to slow, why not order the Tofars (LOL) to stay off the Highways??? I've headon'd a Semi in a Viper and not even gotten a bruise at 100kph (speed limit) and if that would have been a Tofer my wife and I would be dead. Why not pass a law that if you're not driving a Ferrari, a ZR1, or Viper you get those fines? Why not pass a law that Vipers can go double the speed linit because they are sooo safe?

Biggest JOKE is that one of the previous Liberal Ministers of Public Safety (we're on the 4th since 3 have stepped down and the last one stepped down TWICE) had THREE Excessive Speeding Tickets when that meant Double the speed limit!!!

Next retard is Gordon Campbell. He got DWI/Impaired in Hawaii so BC residents now have their cars seized and sold as well as the standard .08 drinking limit has been lowered to .05 to get charged. BC Residents and toursists are being punished for the Liberals actions. Losers!

Retards. 24mph over the speed limit is excessive FOR A SMART/TOFOR. It's still safer to drive a Viper at 35mph over the speed limit than to drive a POS tiny machine or motorcycle - DUH! ********** BY the Gov officials not required to take honesty and IQ test before election.

Only place I am forced to go 140kph is on the freeway in the Fraser Valley to keep up with traffic. RETARDS.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Usually the speed accidents also involve alcohol, but they "took care of that with those new laws?

Anyone believe anything said by the Liberals anymore? You know, like "We've lowered the price of optional insurance by more than 33%." They raised the prices a lot, then lower them a little - and brag about it. My one insurance policy is $3200 (with my 43% Safe driver discount. My other insurance policy on my 20 year old car is over $1200 (with my 20 year safe driver discount of 43%). Since my old car's insurance was under a thousand dollars it obviously has INCREASED by over 20%.

Ted

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree 1 is too many but 167 ?.... doesn't sound like a problem to me. there isnt something worse they can waste time and money on ?

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some might already know, ontario has had the law for some time, but it's 50kph over, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the fine could be as much as $10,000 for a first offense. Haven't had that experience yet !!

OP
OP
E

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The thing is, as the man said, you pass a semi and in a few seconds you're doing 40kms over. I guess we need to spend a little more time in the kill zone so that we don't get towed and left standing on the side of the highway with $2k in penalties. :mad:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BC will never make it out of the stone ages with brainwave rules/laws like this. They are now officially behind Saskatchewan and Newfoundland. I thought those provinces were 50 years behind everyone else. Crazy!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
To a politician, the citicen is just a revenue generating machine to be taxed/fined/levied. Just cattle to pull the yoke of governmental excess and priviledge.

There might have been reason before for me to spend my tourism dollars in BC, but not anymore! Biatches. Parasites in office. Fire them all.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BC will never make it out of the stone ages with brainwave rules/laws like this. They are now officially behind Saskatchewan and Newfoundland. I thought those provinces were 50 years behind everyone else. Crazy!!

Hey. We have it pretty good in little old Sask right now. When the rest of the world crumbled around us we kept our head above water and were the healthiest prov in Canada. And as far as I know we dont have any stupid laws like that one here. We also have a govt now that has said "no" to speed cameras as well. For the first time in history it kind of feels like we are a "have" province and not a "have not" province like we've been for so many years. People are moving back here like crazy lately as we still have lots of jobs and its still fairly affordable to live. Our real estate has gone nuts in the last 3 years with most houses doubling or tripling in value which has been great for owners but I feel for young couples trying to buy a new house right now. $150,000.00 used to buy you a decent home but now it barely gets you out of the slums...LOL.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't condone drinking and driving [ never drink & drive myself] ,but today's news will make anyone paranoid to have even one drink ;). Anything over .08 will result a $4000 fine and inpounding the car. Loosing driving privileges for 90 days .For $20 mil we're getting over 175 redlight cameras installed too.It feels like we're in a police state pretty soon.
I never caused an accident but collected a few speeding tickets in the past [ like 10-15kms over the stated limits :rolleyes:] and got a warning from the superintendent of motor vehicles in the mail yesterday ,stating that I have an unsatisfactory driving record. They sent me the record collected over 5 yrs.
Out of the 5 there was one that I'll accept it was excessive going 140kms in the 100km zone with no vehicles in sight .Was going uphill and the cop coming up the other side of the hill
.Should have had a radar detector:crazy2:. The fine would have been $1300 ,but he was easy on me lowering it to $196 ,because he liked my Viper:headbang:.:lmao:

OP
OP
E

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What we need to do is ... Fight every ticket in court!

Currently 1.5 years before you get to court and 60% chance the officer does not show up, (many get transferred after so long an interval).

I fought one for my son a few weeks back and everyone got off or had their fines reduced. (16 of 22 had no officer show up and cases dismissed).

If everyone fights their tickets the system will collapse.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that Minsiter of Public Safety having 3 Excessive speeding tickets just before the law gets changed to take your car, leave you on the side of the road (even if you're 100 miles from any town and don't own a satellite phone) in -40C could be considered ******! First time I'd like to see ALL the Politicians involved go to jail for life. There are no taxis anywhere on highway 20.

Vancouver GTS - the blood alcohol reading has been changed to .05 . That is the equivalent of 1 drink for most people. I don't drink and am against this law. Part of the reason I don't drink is because of what I've seen drunks do and I value my driving too much.

But, no one goes out to collect an Impaired charge. No one goes out to get busted for excessive speeding. Therefor the egotistical maniacs can change to laws to "any reading of alcohol in the blood" and "jailed for life" penalty doesn't seem to change reality much at all, except for screwing the people passing safely getting busted could get them killed by the law taking their cars away on rural/remote roads at fatal temperatures. Tow away my Viper??? I have nearly 2" of ground clearance. It would take a special towtruck with many blocks and an intelligent driver to load it up. Don't think we have any of those within a few hundred miles. So, if I keep my keys and lock my car - guess they'd probably drag it onto a truck???

Think I'll send another email to my MLA. I may have forgotten to mention that there is usually a week when the temperature goes below 40C. I'm pretty sure I was too polite and didn't mention "******" to her.

Ted

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I feel for you guys. Hope none of you get busted with this BS. Hoping we don't have to deal with these laws or pollution control anytime soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang