broken cam sensor pieces

thaimonkee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just broke the tip of the cam sensor installing it incorrectly. Now my question is where do the broken pieces end up? Im guessing the oil pan. Do I have to drop the pan and clean the pieces out?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would assume the same and yes drop the pan to be safe if so.

there is a thread kicking around where dan at viper specialty tells how to install it correctly.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would assume the same and yes drop the pan to be safe if so.

there is a thread kicking around where dan at viper specialty tells how to install it correctly.

Well Plum, why don't you go do a search, post up the results so I don't have to...........

:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Always assume the worst, that way after you remove the garbage from the pan and the timing cover (check the chain) you'll be very happy when you didn't have to rebuild the entire engine.

Ted

OP
OP
T

thaimonkee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will drop the pan just in case. What if I dont see the pieces in the pan?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will drop the pan just in case. What if I dont see the pieces in the pan?

If you don't see the pieces in the pan, then they probably haven't made it down there yet. They're probably stuck someplace around the timing chain. That's a good time to pull the timing chain cover and replace the gasket anyhow. That gasket is eventually going to go bad, so you may as well swap it out.

OP
OP
T

thaimonkee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The timing chain cover gasket looks pretty rough to replace since there is no room under the hood. Any recomedations?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the motor and get the factory service manual, you wouldn't have broken it off if you had one.

DVSGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The timing chain cover is a bit of a PITA. I would try to flush any remaining bits down into the pan first. Use some sort of squeeze bottle and small hose/nozzle and flush down through the sensor hole. With the pan completely off, you can use a flash light and look up into the timing chain area to see if any crap remains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21