broken half shaft more bad luck.... or driving

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok so my Viper is down again. last night I was cruising around and came to a red light. Stopped as usual light turns green I pull up into the intersection, to wait for a car so I can turn. I look to my right as I'm about to turn and see a semi flying at me flashing his lights and blaring his horn. I drop it and take off around the car, barely missing a colison with the semi and I hear a waboom. I thought the semi hit me at first but, was like I didn't get spun out. So I came to a complete stop a little shook up. Tried to move and my right tire just spins. (mind you I'm just barely letting out the clutch with a little gas not a hard start). So I'm thinking to my self "blown rear end". Well that couldn't be the case because I wouldn't move. So I pull in a gas station at idle and hear a crack,crack,clunk, clunk. Get out and wiggle under the rear end look up and notice the half shaft isn't hooked together. Which brings me to the conclusion blown half shaft. So my question to viper gods is... is it my driving or my luck??????? clutch and now a half shaft? because I don't know any more.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ***** but at least you're alive. Is your Viper modified or stock? What generation is it? I've seen half shafts break but usually on a Drag Strip.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way you should PM a moderator to have your status updated to reflect ownership. And join the club if you're not a member. :nono: If you are a member give a moderator your member number.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its 99.5% stock I've got motor mounts, and a cd player and subs. O and window tint lol........ gen 4

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
auctually I was listing to five finger death punch. lol rockin it loud and proud.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like the window tint caused wheel hop and snap goes the half shaft

sorry for the loss dude

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have solid small c/v axles(shaft part)or the larger hollow ones,or am i crazy and they all have solid shafts:eater:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen SRT's break half shafts after diff failure and after wheel hop [which usually kills the diff first in 03-06] However, the Gen-4 has a stouter diff, so they may break the shafts first.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
o the shaft is deff shattered its hanging down i don't think the differental is messed up tho i could be wrong

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
do you have solid small c/v axles(shaft part)or the larger hollow ones,or am i crazy and they all have solid shafts:eater:

A different thread I was reading on this site said that the '09 ACRs were being equipped with solid axleshafts (because of the 'addittional grip"). I would presume that means all Gen 4 Vipers except 09 ACRs got tube axleshafts.

Ted

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Gen4 Vipers built from mid April 2008 have the solid shafts. I would love to know what the starting VIN is of the change over. Anyone know?
Can you tell by looking at the shafts which type the car has?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm all for stronger parts, but the way the thread read I thought the solid shafts were because of the sport cup tires?

All Vipers getting stronger shafts would be great!

MY600HP

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
o the shaft is deff shattered its hanging down i don't think the differental is messed up tho i could be wrong

Nemo - Can you post a picture of the broken shaft, I'm curious where it broke? Also, what's the last four of your VIN, maybe we can get an idea of when it was built and whether or not it has solid shafts (although the picture might show us that!). How many miles on it when you got it?

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok so you will all be mad because I took it to a dealer to get it changed and it was under warranty. I can ask when he calls me later next week. They did say they got it fixed no problems. I was hearing a knocking or thump every time I drove it and they said that my rear swaybar link or the swaybar its self was messed up..... or a shock so they have them on order. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be warranty because the unitrax 1000 hp half shafts were calling my name. The vin of my viper should be in my profile... but I will check on this for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog