Broken Ring Gear Bolt

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought a used differential. I have mine off the car and before I installed this one I opened the case to inspect everything. Good thing I did because I found a broken ring gear bolt (see pics below). I found the bolt on the side of the case and it appears it did not damage anything else (no scratches, nicks or dings on anything else).

I don't think I will be able to extract the remaining bolt from the ring gear with it installed in the case. I assume if I remove the bearing caps and pull the carrier and ring gear out all the settings (lash, etc.) need to be redone, is this true? Or can I just remove the carrier and then bolt it back in?

Anyone know a good rear end shop in the Atlanta area?

ring_gear.jpg

bolt.jpg

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your setup should stay the same. The back lash is set buy the shims pressed between the carrier and the differential bearings. you should be fine.
just my .02

Buy all new ring gear bolts 70-90 ft.lbs
Bearing Cap Bolts 65 ft.lbs
Cover Bolts 35 ft.lbs

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point about getting all new ring gear bolts. I wonder if the local shop would have those since Dana 44's aren't just for VIPERs? Were you suggesting that I replace the cover bolts and cap bolts also or just providing the torque specs?

It looks simple to break apart, just remove the clips holding in the axle yokes, remove the bearing cap bolts and caps, and the carrier will come out, right?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben -

I have a set of bolts that are new that I need eventually, but if you want to take them now to speed up your replacement then you can buy me a new set in the next week or so. I'm not in a rush.

As for removing the yolks, just get a snap ring tool and remove 'em. that is after you remove the bearing caps.

I didn't replace the bearing cap bolts the last time... i don't think it's a requirement.

let me know... i got the set right here.

JD

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, thanks for the offer. Let me get it disassembled to make sure I can get the broken bolt out and I'll take you up on the deal.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bearing caps and axle yokes are off and out, but the carrier assembly won't slide out of the case. do I need to just let it sit in the sun for a while tomorrow or something?

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it is apart, use a dial indicator to make sure everything is within spec. There may be an internal problem that made the bolt fail in the first place.

Also, now is the time to drill and tap the housing for a drain plug.

Good Luck!!!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you see is common, the solution is to wire the bolts. Call Unitrax, they can help you. I have a picture of all the bolts laying in the bottom of the diff.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay, got the assembly out of the case and more bad news: I found some metal shavings in the bearing on the back side of the ring gear and a gouge in the case on the same side (likely source of the shavings). I also noticed a funny opening in the housing one the opposite side near where the bearing sits.

Its also worth mentioning that two other bolts broke when I removed the ring gear. Luckily is was easy to remove all the pieces left in the ring gear (felt like the weren't even tight.

pics_019.jpg

pics_021.jpg

What has happened in the pic below? Is this a casting flaw or is this more damage? I found nothing wrong on this side (teeth side of the ring gear) other than this:

pics_020.jpg

Can you tell me more about wiring the bolts?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the pic of the casting w/ the chunk missing is how it is suppose to be. or at least that is how all 3 of my diffs are (and working).

the bolts _do_ come right out. it's the fine-thread that helps that, methinks.

good luck w/ the re-assembly!

JD

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bolt heads are drilled and a thin high tensile strength wire is tensioned between the bolts. This is very common for any high hp/high speed application. Unitrax had seen so many viper ring gears come loose, they made it a standard procedure when working on a diff.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe: thanks for the input, I thought that was a casting thing because it didn't look damaged, just weird.

Jack: basically sounds like safety wiring the bolts

I think I'm going to replace that bearing and the bolts and I'll be back in business.

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When its time to put it back together make sure the carrier bearings are seated all the way into the housing,, DO NOT USE THE BEARING CAPS TO SEAT IT.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the tip, I figure I'll let the case sit in the sun for a few hours before doing that.

Also, is replacing the bearing as easy as using a puller to remove it and then pressing the new one on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4