Bucking SRT10

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2005 SRT10 is all jerky up to 1500 revs and not a smooth ride even further up the rev range. I know low down at crawling speed the cars can buck as my last Viper did but dip the clutch and it sorts itself out, but this is not the same. The car has only covered 1500 miles from new, the parts replaced so far are.

Plugs & wires
every sensor you can think of
No! codes are thrown, the car appears fine on diagnostics.
It's not my driving! I have owned Vipers for years.
The car feels like it is misfiring but isn't.
I am out of ideas, anyone out there experience and fix the same?

When I accelerate hard the car is smooth, slow down; and the problem returns. It almost appears as if the pcm is confused and messes things up if this is possible.

Thanks

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know when the early vipers did this (Gen I) the twin throttle cables were out of sync. Gen III's having only one cable I don't see how this could be the issues but maybe something to explore. :dunno:

OP
OP
A

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a new battery fitted so it can't be that, checked all the plugs and they are all a nice even tan color. Oil useage Nil! Any other ideas?
Thanks

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id get a sct tune

The tune on the 05's and especially 06'sjust seems to be all over the place..

My 03 defiently bucked at lower rpm's..Got the sct tune and problem solved..

Mine bucked so bad on the stock tune that just driving on my 15 mph street road was sometimes embarassing...Looked like I couldnt handle the car..Really..Until the car leveled out so to speak there was nothing I could do

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had this same issue with my 04 vert... but since I took out the stock exhaust crossover and changed to Borla cat backs the problem has diminished to almost never happening. The car seems to run so much smoother now. I think the responses on getting the tune are right on too. I plan on doing that next

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will do that when you shift to a higher gear but keep the accelerator in the same place. It's kind of like engine breaking.

snowrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pop the valve covers and look for possible broken spring. Or may be possible that cats are damaged.

carlv12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to tell you my experience. My 2005 Viper SRT10 began to buck a lot after changing from stock european rear exhaust to: new headers + Borla without crosspipe and 2 race cats instead of stock 4.

The biggest problem I think is that there are a lot of postings about bucking so that you can think it is normal. But what exactly is normal? How much bucking is naormal and what is too much?

In my case the car was bucking at the beginning only when cold and all was ok when the engine was warm. But after the changes the bucking was always there making it impossible to drive smoothly. And my mechanic found the problem: 3 injectors of the left cylinder bank were faulty - all 10 were cleanded with ultrasonic and now the car drives smooth when warm, only a bucking when cold. Therefore I think we should NOT accept that every kind of bucking is normal.
Regards from Valencia, Spain
Carlos

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have already tried this, but might be worth disconnecting the battery, letting it sit for 15 mins and reconnecting to reset the pcm.

I am also watching this post with interest as I am having some bucking - but I believe that mine is due to my X-Metal throttle body. I may also need to replace my battery as others have mentioned. Not sure if this works with the stock throttle body, but some have mentioned that you can turn the tps ever so slightly to help with these types of issues.

OP
OP
A

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am changing the stock wires for new ones to see if this will help, but am not happy about removing the intake manifold to do so.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mines bucks also. I fire it up let is sit in the driveway running for 5 minutes and that fixes my bucking issue. Once warm the car doesn't do it at all.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 doesn't buck normally. I just did have a problem with bucking because the C1 and C2 connectors were not fully clicked into the PCM. This did cause a bucking issue. Resecured them and the bucking is gone. I would check all connections to make sure they are tight. Check Crank Sensor plug (passenger side of engine, you can get to it from underneath), Cam sensor (front center of engine), and PCM connections (driver's side firewall behind upper radiator hose).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang