Burned side sill!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The passenger side exhaust was positioned too low and installing with the random tech cats & corsa is not at all a bolt on job! So anyways the tip was too low and it burned the black area on my side sill! :( Anyone have a quick fix for this? Thanks
Ricky

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was put on by the dealership I would have them fix it. Heck, I would ask any shop that put it on too low to pick up the cost of repair. Then choose the right paint shop to fix it.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you mean it is burned or just black sout from the exhaust. Is it on the flat black area of the sill? How rar does the tip stick out from the sill.

Are they the tips with the rolled edge, if so those create a turbulance around them and turn black at the bottom. Weird how they do that, but I hate those tips. I used them before on cars.

Skip White

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they're anything like mine, the tips don't stick out past the edge of the sill, it is probably about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch inside.....very strange that it burnt the sill though.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It didn't burn the sill through it just changed the color of it from black to RED! It looks like its glowing red! I didn't really want to yell and scream at the dealership since my brother works there. I defenetly won't be going back though. He did ask me where he should put the tips but I had no idea myself! I just told him to put it a 1/4 inch from the rocker in the front and that ended up burning the edge of my side sill!! Today I went back and they took 3 hours to make the tips perfect and align them etc. Then they made me pay for the 3 hours spent doing it. On top of that JON B from PART'S rack didn't tel me when I originally decided not to go with the cats that he is still goin got send me a Corsa with 3" fitment so I had the entire car undone and when the mechanic went to put the exhaust on it turns out to be too big! HORIBLE customer service in my opinion. Cost me a good chunk of change too!!!!! He then says that he shipped the exhaust BEFORE I told him to cancel the order well if that happened shoudln't he tell me that I still need the high flow cats to get it on there. And no reducers woudlnt' work unless I started to get some other custom work done and I bought a Corsa becuase of fitment etc. Anyways to make a long story short I had to pay for 2.5 hours of labor that day, 4 hours the day the cats were installed and 3 for today aligning the tips. Total cost to install a freaken corsa exahust with high flow cats $677. I feel like I jsut got my testicles handed to me in a jar :( . If I knew it would be this much hassle to do the tips, it would burn my side sill, etc I would have NEVER ordered the exhaust set up and kept my car stock instead. Watch out for anyone ordering htis etup. To make my tips in a perfect spot about 1/2 inch had to be cut on both sides off the random tech cats. So much for direct bolt on.

Furthermore, I had to put in spacers on the passenger side just to make sure it doesn't look like it didnt' get kicked in from one side! With spacers they are both in the perfect spot (right inside of the sill but far enough out that the exhaust fumes come straight out!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think it best to have exhaust work of any kind done at a muffler shop, but a competent one. Those guys are masters at working with precision fittment of exhaust pipe. The SRT is a bit hard to work with. Getting those tips to line up with the side sill off the car really requires several measurments of where the opening was before you took the sill off. If the tip is a not a double wall it may be to hot to be near the side sill. Read what I said above about tips with rolled edges on them. I hate the way they create a turbulance, and blacken around the ring, and get pretty hot no doubt.

If and when I make a complete system for the SRT, I will locate a primary cat. in the side where the sec. cat is, and for a lead off pipe, with a mandrel bent pipe I will install a high quality flex joint about where the oem one is, and you can't use the one on the car. I beleive it's attached to the primary cat permanently. As for getting the tips,(hopefully the tips that I'm selling) we need to have a templete for the muffler shop to work with when the sill is off the car. If we are using my tips, I think they should be cut down short, and the opening in the side sill should be cut open a bit at the small sec. of the oval. This can be done with a dremall style tool. I then would watch out for discoloration.

A good muffler shop will impress you very much, but finding them may be a problem, and I advise getting the car to them early in the morning.

I wish you guys could here a car that has had what I have done to my last two SRT's. Very simple and inexpensive, and the sound is great.

Skip White

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ricky,
If you can't get the dealership to fix the side sill, check with a good rep body shop in the area, it may clean up with a polish and buff. If at the last resort you need to buy a side sill, email me.

Mike

ACMiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stricky; I just received my corsa street exhaust (from Jon at Parts Rack)... Now I am worried. Couple Questions:

1) Where did you have them finally place the tips so they won't burn the side sills?

2) Will I have a problem bolting the system on with the current stock cats?

Sorry to hear you had this happen.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACMiller,
If I was you I would mount the tips so that the tip starts right where the side sill ends when COLD! Infact when cold a tiny bit of the chrome from the tip is actaully hidden behind the side sill (about 1/2 of the actaul chrome and I think the chrome area is about 2/8's of an inch so I have about 1/8th hidden. My car's tips were about a 1/4 inch from the sill when I first had it and they traveled way too far and ended up burning it! If you need some pictures let me know I'll post them. Right now my tips with where they are go dead smack in the middel when the car is warm. And don't worry about it being too close to the front when hot they start moving within 30 seconds! Also you shouldn't have a problem installing it with stock cats. I did the RT cats and becuase of that the RT cats were 1/2 inch too big so they had to be cut down. Getting the exhaust off after being driven around for a day is the biggest pain in the ass!!! It took the guy an hour just to do that. Thats why make sure you have it perfect the first time since taking the damn side sills apart and repositioning it to get it perfect can take upto 3 hours the next day (Like mine did!) I also noticed a freakin oil leak that I will have to get checked out!

Ricky

ACMiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTRICKY; If you could post cold/hot pictures, that would be great!

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ricky:
Good info; so the consensus is to put the tips flush with the sill round cut-out(cold). When you say the tips(exhaust) move after 30 minutes of engine running - do they move towards the outside or inside of the sill. Also what type of tips did you get? Just need this clarification.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art they move after about 30 SECONDS of having the car on not 30 minutes...You can see them start moving almost as soon as you start up the car! The tips are the same ones as the ones from Corsa. I actaully have a tiny bit of the chrome covered (1/2 of the actual chrome lip which is about 2/8th's in size so I have 1/8th covered when the car is tottally cold!) This makes the Tip go dead smack in the middle when the car is warm and I actaully took the car for a hard run got it nice and warm came home and touched the lip all around the sill (not the chrome tip) but where the burn is and no area was hot enough to burn my finger...(if you need proof...I am typing!! ;) ) I actaully got the mechanic to make a cut out of the tip on one side and then made sure the other side was dead smack in the middle too. Take your time with this you don't want to end up with a burned side sill like I have! I'm not sure hot noticible it is to others but it really ****** me off! the tips do not move up or town or in and out of the actaul sill they just move towards the back of the car and will move about 1/2 an inch easy!

RedVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to install the Corsa Track!! What do I need to know to make this go smoothly?? Thanks

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a lot of patience and do a test fit...don't just start driving around for 2 hours listening to the thing like I did :eek: and you'll be fine :2tu:

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran my Corsa mufflers as far forward as I could and the pax side still grows
to the back edge when hot, I think I will have to trim it. I have the RT cats. Just put in the CCI 3 disk inserts and what a difference, not near as
loud, don't need ear plugs, and a much better sound as cruise and idle.
No more garbage truck sound. Highly recommended.

Herc :usa:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery