But...but...but, it has nannies!

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tragic accident that could have been avoided. I hope buyers of the new Gen V don't think stability control will save them, so drive more reckless because they have it. RIP to the biker

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
God Bless to the motorcyclist. Hopefully a lot of time in jail for the other two

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've rented lambos and a phantom from them before. It's a great operation. I've spoken to feretti on several occasions. However I will say it isn't very surprising. The average age of the employees over there is like mid 20's.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad story ... guy was enjoying a ride on his bike. RIP
Just watch... when stories like this keep surfacing, it'll be a matter of time until we have to take mandatory safety classes to drive a sports car.
It's always the few that ruin it for the many.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....and why choose head-on over a side impact on your own side of the street (unless he didn't see the bike).

chenner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not completely surprising when you have a 19 year old behind the wheel of the Ferrari. I don't care if it's a dealership employee, etc. when you put a kid behind the wheel of a Ferrari, Viper, Vette, etc. they're going to push their limits.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another wreck involving two nannie Ferraris. The drivers no doubt thought they were invincible. This crap doesn't belong on sports cars guys, don't believe the bs.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/motorcyclist_dies_after_head-o.html

RIP to the motorcyclist.

Chuck you and I agree on much that is posted here, but it seems you take every opportunity to trash the "nannies".

I want to understand your position. Do you think the "nannies" diminish the safety of the vehicle? or just the driving experience? In order to continue to manufacture our Vipers, these systems have been made mandatory my the government, is that your issue? more government interference? SRT had no choice in the installation and implementation of these systems. From everything I have read these systems can be turned off to varying levels of effectiveness, even completely off. Neither of my Vipers have the "nannies" (except ABS) and I track my '01 and have never had an issue.

Thanks, I do enjoy your posts.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is bs. This crap doesn't belong on the streets. It has nothing to do with nannies.

Chuck you and I agree on much that is posted here, but it seems you take every opportunity to trash the "nannies".

I want to understand your position. Do you think the "nannies" diminish the safety of the vehicle? or just the driving experience? In order to continue to manufacture our Vipers, these systems have been made mandatory my the government, is that your issue? more government interference? SRT had no choice in the installation and implementation of these systems. From everything I have read these systems can be turned off to varying levels of effectiveness, even completely off. Neither of my Vipers have the "nannies" (except ABS) and I track my '01 and have never had an issue.

Thanks, I do enjoy your posts.

I rode in a 2006 nanny-packed Lambo around Sebring's high speed turn 17. With tires squealing we proceeded to do a complete 360 and the first words out of the driver's mouth was "I didn't think it would do that." I recently had another experience (again as a passenger) in a ZR1 where the ABS got "confused" making turns considerably less safe than a non-ABS car. Those are my experiences and the pro-nanny folks can deny it all they want but without making nannies so invasive that the sports car experience is entirely non-existent they will do no good what-so-ever. People drive sports cars with a completely different mindset than they do minivans. Leave the nannies on the vans.

Government oppression, while certainly the catalyst for this topic, is politics and I try to separate that from sports car enthusiasm. I wish the government had as much discipline.

And SkyBob, you are correct, it doesn't belong on the street. But it aint gonna stop. Here are a few more nanny sports car wrecks for you.
http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/05/06/car-crash-multiple-sportscars-crash-on-same-strech-of-autobahn/

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think nannies had ANYTHING to do with this accident. The guy driving the silver Ferrari lost control, nannies or not. Then the tragic part is where the guy following him swerved into the other lane to avoid him and hit head on with the bike driver. Nannies can only do so much to save your butt but once physics kicks in you are going for a spin.

I have to say that the nannies saved my butt once or twice. It is very rare that you ever hear that they went wrong or caused an accident.

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think nannies had ANYTHING to do with this accident. The guy driving the silver Ferrari lost control, nannies or not. Then the tragic part is where the guy following him swerved into the other lane to avoid him and hit head on with the bike driver. Nannies can only do so much to save your butt but once physics kicks in you are going for a spin.

I have to say that the nannies saved my butt once or twice. It is very rare that you ever hear that they went wrong or caused an accident.

I think this is exactly the point Chuck is making. When he talks about the Lambo he was in and the driver not "thinking it could do that". The problem is people who drive the cars with all the electronic aids don't realize that they don't defeat the laws of physics, you can still lose control and cause massive damage. When I am behind the wheel of the Viper, I am constantly reminded of the fact that if I take an onramp too fast, or if there is debris on the pavement, etc... that I am probably going to be facing the direction I was just coming from. It keeps me much more on point than a lot of folks driving cars with "nannies" who just feel like it's a safety net that will save them if they misbehave. A false sense of security.

:usa: Nick :usa:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... a lot of folks driving cars with "nannies" who just feel like it's a safety net that will save them if they misbehave. A false sense of security.

My guess is the last thing that 19 year old and the 28 year old were thinking about while driving those Ferraris was the nannies built into the cars.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Chuck - I've tried to ignore your nanny rants - but your post is just plain assine! A guy died - nothing to do with nannies - just a poor decision and a very bad consequence. Confirmed that you are a first rate A$$.

Mods - go ahead and remove my post and censor me - enough is enough of Chuck's nanny crap!

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terrible to see someone's death result from stupidity. This is exactly why I don't own a motorcycle. I trust myself - I don't trust the other idiots on the road.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... Those are my experiences and the pro-nanny folks can deny it all they want but without making nannies so invasive that the sports car experience is entirely non-existent they will do no good what-so-ever. People drive sports cars with a completely different mindset than they do minivans. Leave the nannies on the vans.

First, i doubt that many people drive their cars assuming that the nannies will protect them, rather these drivers simply drive irresponsibly and any car they drive will suffer the same consequences.

Second, those that resist wearing seat belts, can point to situations where the occupants of the vehicle might have survived if they were thrown from the vehicle or otherwise not restrained in the vehicle in the accident. While those incidents may occur, people are much safer wearing seat-belts than without. I enjoy driving my Viper without any limits on traction/handling. Time will tell how intrusive these nannies will be. I believe that the cars equipped with traction controls, active handling controls, etc, can be much safer for the general public that are driving these cars.

How many first and second generation Vipers were totaled by inexperienced drivers that simply got in and nailed the loud pedal? many of these cars might still be around if there was a traction control that not only limited wheel spin but also limited irresponsible behavior.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second, those that resist wearing seat belts, can point to situations where the occupants of the vehicle might have survived if they were thrown from the vehicle or otherwise not restrained in the vehicle in the accident. While those incidents may occur, people are much safer wearing seat-belts than without.

Any stats to back that up? Nevertheless, a motorist should have the freedom to make the seatbelt decision themselves. Let's look at airbags. NHTSA stats site approximately 50-100 children and small adults die each year from airbags (I found no stats for lives saved by airbags, only guesses and assumptions). Anyone here got kids? Imagine how some parents would feel if they lost their kid to a government mandated explosive device that they themselves did not comfortable having in their car with their kids, let alone being forced to pay for it.

Regarding the accidents of the five nanny cars I posted in this thread - five of the six sports cars with nannies that did them no good whatsoever. Do we really wanna just sit back and not question their alleged safety factor? Particularly considering PAC money is what gets these laws passed, not public outcry.

viperscott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
are you serious Chuck 98 ?!?!!?
According to you, it's not safer to wear seatbelts or having airbags ? You need stats to back it up? No comments... I just hope most people think otherwise..

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you serious Chuck 98 ?!?!!?
According to you, it's not safer to wear seatbelts or having airbags ? You need stats to back it up? No comments... I just hope most people think otherwise..

You have a reading comprehension problem. I replied to this...
those that resist wearing seat belts, can point to situations where the occupants of the vehicle might have survived if they were thrown from the vehicle or otherwise not restrained in the vehicle in the accident.

I simply asked if there were any stats to backup the claims of those who resist wearing seat belts. There are none that I know of. Do you know of any? For comparison I presented the airbag argument for which there are stats verifying that people have been and still are killed by them. Of course, publishing that sort of information might cause public outcry and cut into the profits of Delphi and TRW - two of the largest airbag companies.

I have always advocated wearing seatbelts. I wore them in the 70s looooooooooooong before it was law. It was easy for me to wear them because in my youth it made me feel like a race car driver. I would have worn a full firesuit and helmet if people wouldn't have looked at me funny.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tend to agree with both Steve and Frank here - I think nannies can be a good thing, but they will NOT excuse stupidity or reckless driving. I know at the SRT Experience at Pocono, the nannies in the Charger I was driving saved my ass twice! That being said, in my own SRT8 on the road, I have (luckily, this far) never had the "need" for them.

As for the Viper, I have had a couple "pucker factor" moments, due to me misjudging a turn, but I got out of it on my own, luckily. The Viper is THAT good of a car. As long as you can turn off the nannies in a Gen V, that's fine, but driver beware.

viperscott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have a reading comprehension problem. I replied to this...

I simply asked if there were any stats to backup the claims of those who resist wearing seat belts. There are none that I know of. Do you know of any? For comparison I presented the airbag argument for which there are stats verifying that people have been and still are killed by them. Of course, publishing that sort of information might cause public outcry and cut into the profits of Delphi and TRW - two of the largest airbag companies.

I have always advocated wearing seatbelts. I wore them in the 70s looooooooooooong before it was law. It was easy for me to wear them because in my youth it made me feel like a race car driver. I would have worn a full firesuit and helmet if people wouldn't have looked at me funny.

I don't have any reading problems. I just asked about both things since later you complained about airbags, .
just check those info about people beeing killed by airbags again if they said more about accidents... I am not anybody advocate here, I know that sometimes sh... can happen and something what is designed to save life can take it,but I see what is going on around me: people drive without seatbelts, drive their kids on front pass seat without deactivating pass airbag, almost no teenager wears seatbelts when sitting on the back... Statistics will not tell you those things, those "little" specifics what are direct cause of injury

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any reading problems. I just asked about both things since later you complained about airbags, .
just check those info about people beeing killed by airbags again if they said more about accidents... I am not anybody advocate here, I know that sometimes sh... can happen and something what is designed to save life can take it,but I see what is going on around me: people drive without seatbelts, drive their kids on front pass seat without deactivating pass airbag, almost no teenager wears seatbelts when sitting on the back... Statistics will not tell you those things, those "little" specifics what are direct cause of injury

Being that you didn't reply with "Oh, I see your point now." I have to assume you still don't get it.

Steve was referring to people who don't wear seatbelts claiming there are folks that may have survived accidents by being thrown clear had they not been wearing seatbelts. I and probably Steve too, do not agree with those claims and asked Steve if he knew of any statistics to back up their claims.

For comparison, I listed airbag statistics that support claims that airbags kill people. Thereby questioning mandated airbags makes for a legitimate debate.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with both Steve and Frank here - I think nannies can be a good thing, but they will NOT excuse stupidity or reckless driving. I know at the SRT Experience at Pocono, the nannies in the Charger I was driving saved my ass twice! That being said, in my own SRT8 on the road, I have (luckily, this far) never had the "need" for them.

As for the Viper, I have had a couple "pucker factor" moments, due to me misjudging a turn, but I got out of it on my own, luckily. The Viper is THAT good of a car. As long as you can turn off the nannies in a Gen V, that's fine, but driver beware.

When the Viper got out of line you mustered up the skill and saved it. But when the Charger got out of line you would have crashed twice had it not been for the nannies? Do you see the conflict between those two conclusions? Are you sure you wouldn't have saved the Charger too, just that the nannies kicked in before you did giving you the illusion that you would have crashed.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the Viper got out of line you mustered up the skill and saved it. But when the Charger got out of line you would have crashed twice had it not been for the nannies? Do you see the conflict between those two conclusions? Are you sure you wouldn't have saved the Charger too, just that the nannies kicked in before you did giving you the illusion that you would have crashed.

Chuck, you may be right. The SRT8 was on a grassy S-turn on the infield at Pocono. Had there been no nannnies, I probably would have been able to bring her out of it.

My personal car in my sig below, I fell that the nannies can be a bit intrusive in the wet, even though I don't drive agressively in the wet at all. Some very good opinions in this thread, keep 'em coming.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten