Buy a Gen4 or Buy a Gen3 and Add the 650hp Upgrdade in VCA Mag ?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a thread already but would it be better to buy an 06 coupe and do the 650HP upgrade in the VCA magazine or just buy a Gen4 coupe ?

Wondering what it would cost for a turn key upgrade ?

Has anyone done the upgrade it and how is it ?

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ditch the molar upgrade and go with either Heads and cam from Greg Good or a Paxton on the Gen 3 or a gen 4.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say get a GEN IV and mod it. You would need to get the MOPAR controller first bur then You can do headers and exhaust. You can also have the intake manifold ported. This would get you well over 650 HP.

ExplorerThis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 3...have Greg good tweak your heads and get a custom cam. It will be cheaper and make better power than the gen4 or the mopar kit.

This was the route i was going to take with my gen3 until my Shelby purchase. Now it's going for sale.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both. It's the modded Gen IV over the supercharged Gen III. Though peak hp numbers are the same,the Gen IV delivers more power across the rpm band and keeps the hp up better between shifts. My supercharged Gen III gave me no problems for the 11K miles that I owned it.
So reliability is very high with a base system installed and tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

The real problem is that most future buyers will always prefer a newer version that produces the same power while being near stock vs a car that has been supercharged or turboed.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's because the Mopar kit is overly priced and everyone knows they can get the same power or more doing other things that don't cost as much. Sadly, this is another marketing fail from Dodge.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont know how anyone can consider this a poor product at this price point, even incomplete. Everyone knows I have no love for this Mopar kit and how it was marketed at first as complete when its not, or things Mopar does in general at times... but the fact is, this kit is in the same ballpark price range as the Paxton kits, and makes near the same numbers N/A as the Paxton kits do with the right setup. While this kit is not "complete", it can still be used as a back-bone for other builds and packages.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I have to agree 100% with Daniel here. I hate to sound like an A-hole, but anyone here that thinks the kit is overpriced or improperly designed should not be doing any type of mods. Your CLUELESS. This is the first and only SMOKING deal to ever come from MOPAR. It's selling for $6,600 to Venom members at VPA, but none of you should buy it. Buying a set of stock ported heads in no way equals what this kit offers, sorry. I'm noticing more and more of this BS info being spread on this forum by individuals who are doing a general disservice to the Viper community and MOPAR.

Last edited:

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Mopar kit, particularly at Venom pricing is a great deal IMO, and the appeal to me would be in saying your Gen III has the "650hp Mopar upgrade" vs saying "I have heads and a cam". I intended to buy the Mopar kit, but after talking with Greg Good I went with one of his heads/cam packages with a number of other upgrades. Bottomline is there's a number of great options out there in that <10k range. It all comes down to what you want, as each option offers something different.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the target market is folks that already have a Gen3 or SRT10 Ram and wants to do the work themselves. I think the price difference between an 06 coupe and an 08 coupe is about $10-15k these days so it's probably better to just get the newer car and find the extra 50hp somehow. I would love to see before and after dyno and strip numbers for the kit as well as a comparo with a stock Gen4.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Test drive or ride in both platforms before buying one! My 08 has all the goodies it needs to get it over the 650 mark. I'll gladly give you a ride and even let you drive it next time at an event if you like:drive:

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V10, I'm assuming that you'll have this deal done by Saturday so you can show off the new ride at the C&C, right?!

Reaction score
BTW, the Mopar kit will also be available for the Gen 2 in the not-too-distant future. With headers expect around 590 HP naturally aspirated.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: This is great news. How awesome is this. making an upgrade kit for a car that hasn't been in production for ten years.

So that actually is pretty cool. There are some old sixties cars that you can build new from available parts these days.

Reaction score
It has already been installed on a Gen 2 engine with excellent results. The challenge is that you are installing a hybrid Gen 4 upper end on Gen 2 architecture. That requires different programming, throttle body/controls, etc. The heads were matched up along with the new intake and everything goes together great. The rest is being worked on as this is typed...

EXHLR8N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, I think the Gen III will need new headers to work with the Gen IV kit. If so, you need to factor the cost of this in with the kit. Also, depending on the header system you choose, you may only have room to run one cat or need a high-performance one.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could buy either genIII or IV, and just "drive it like that"........ these cars don't NEED mods to be cool or fast. They kinda' come that way already....ain't it? :smirk:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the target market is folks that already have a Gen3 or SRT10 Ram and wants to do the work themselves. I think the price difference between an 06 coupe and an 08 coupe is about $10-15k these days so it's probably better to just get the newer car and find the extra 50hp somehow. I would love to see before and after dyno and strip numbers for the kit as well as a comparo with a stock Gen4.

Alot depends on what you want to do with your viper. If its HP & TRQ, Gen III's have much more potential. GEN IV'***** the wall at 700 flywheel, until somone can figure out the engine managment system (and it's now been 4 years). If you want 650 flywheel, in a 4, add headers/exhaust. The Mopar package is at a great price as Camfab mentioned. Then talk to Dan at VS and get a good cam and other goodies. You'll be able to match the highest HP Gen IV's, and, have 20-40 more trq than a 4, plus no DBW. Then down the road you can add a S/C or turbo if you need more. Decision is what do you want to have, how long you'll keep it and the price difference? Good luck, Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte