Buy the 08 or Keep my 05 ???

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to purchase an 08 @ MSRP ,
needing to put the down payment this week
& would like the wisdom of the this astute board wether
it's worth it or should I be wary of the new power plant ,
clutch , cam in cam etc...until it's proven itself .

My 06 Z06 was purchased new but was in the last
25% of the build aka I have had no real issues with
it like many buyers have (roof seperation , ashtrays , valves etc)

The 08 Viper on the other hand would be a fairly early build.
In my all time favorite, sublime type hue w/White stripes.
(Current copper is 2nd Fav)

Replies welcome

PS- Not knowing the actual MSRP is kinda lame :boggled:

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First do you drive your 05? Is it a queen or a driver? Does $20,000 plus for a new one get you more fun factor? I think we all would like a 600HP 08 but if don't intend to drive it , than why get it?

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08 (sorry guys who own the 05) If I had to make a guess, I believe that the horsepower wars will not continue. Remember, the 600 hp is a conservative number. It is a very substantial jump in hp, if you can get it hooked up. Just my 2 cents.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the color you want is available, you might want to grab it. It is my understanding that there will be rolling color changes, and many of the available colors will not be available later.

From what I saw at the Chrysler Tech Center, lots and lots of testing has gone into the new components, and Chrysler is backing all of them with their warranty.

Most all the new components are beefed up over the previous models, so probably no more issues than normal.

Each Viper model change has resulted in a higher quality vehicle. The first year 03's were relatively trouble free compared to 02's.

The new shifter in particular is so much smoother and easier to get throught the gears. Clutch is supposed to be greatly improved also.:drive: :drive: :drive:

OP
OP
B

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my understanding is that the Sub-Lime color would not be available untill later in '08 model year

If the color you want is available, you might want to grab it. It is my understanding that there will be rolling color changes, and many of the available colors will not be available later.
From what I saw at the Chrysler Tech Center, lots and lots of testing has gone into the new components, and Chrysler is backing all of them with their warranty.
Most all the new components are beefed up over the previous models, so probably no more issues than normal.
Each Viper model change has resulted in a higher quality vehicle. The first year 03's were relatively trouble free compared to 02's.
The new shifter in particular is so much smoother and easier to get throught the gears. Clutch is supposed to be greatly improved also.

Thanks Appreciate the replies
Dealer already ordered the color with the white stripes per my specs.
Pretty much plan to put the deposit down by friday. The car is due Sept(berish).

My hesititation is lack of Price, Possible flaws , guess not as bad since it has warranty &/or finally some kick ass better version offered the following year or 2. Kinda like trying to chase computer tech I suppose.

The plus's = my dream color , (maybe a white custom leather interior w/green piping to finish it off :D ) All the new goodies that go with the 08 & not having to be gouged over MSRP if the car becomes hot like the shelby's.

Downside = is it worth 20K more :omg: , will they be in demand or heavily discounted like the last few years.

As far as power , I have to think the HP wars is almost @ it's apex. A 650HP 'Super' vette might be the swan song in this era . It would be nice to catch the last crest of the wave.

Similar to being one of the 7 guys that picked up a 71 hemi cuda convertible 36 years ago :usa:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Appreciate the replies
Dealer already ordered the color with the white stripes per my specs.
Pretty much plan to put the deposit down by friday. The car is due Sept(berish).

My hesititation is lack of Price, Possible flaws , guess not as bad since it has warranty &/or finally some kick ass better version offered the following year or 2. Kinda like trying to chase computer tech I suppose.

The plus's = my dream color , (maybe a white custom leather interior w/green piping to finish it off :D ) All the new goodies that go with the 08 & not having to be gouged over MSRP if the car becomes hot like the shelby's.

Downside = is it worth 20K more :omg: , will they be in demand or heavily discounted like the last few years.

As far as power , I have to think the HP wars is almost @ it's apex. A 650HP 'Super' vette might be the swan song in this era . It would be nice to catch the last crest of the wave.

Similar to being one of the 7 guys that picked up a 71 hemi cuda convertible 36 years ago :usa:

You only live once. Screw the 20k. You could be hit by a pigeon **** tomorrow.Never know what is around the corner.
08 here I come!!!

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes, yes and yes. :2tu: And don't get too concerned about new engine design flaws. Frankly, even as good as the Viper tuners are, many of us take more risk with engine mods on these cars than you'll ever run into in a first-year engine from Dodge.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am keeping my 04 cuz I just got it last year, even though I really love the 08's technology. When the mileage gets up around 30k on my 04, I will get the Gen 4. I think it is a personal choice, but I also think we Viper lovers should support the Viper line as much as possible. It is a handbuilt exotic, and will can be the first victim of budget cuts if things get bad for Dodge if the support for Vipers drop off....just my two cents.

V

Venomiss

I love having our '05 back with the goodies-we can keep up with the 08 if needed.:D

That being said the '08 will be an awesome car in the garage for anyone. Even a girl like me! I have a great color combo picked out when we win the lottery.

Horsepower gentlemen. Add in color and originality. Blend well with style and looks.
'08 is a recipe worth it's weight in gold.
:drive:

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only live once. Screw the 20k. You could be hit by a pigeon **** tomorrow.Never know what is around the corner.
08 here I come!!!

I live by those words , life is to short . Love and live everyday like its your last . Thats exactly why I am getting one as soon as I can . I second the notion 08 here I come !!!!!

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you got the bank go for it..................although that 20k figure is a little conservitive.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious why they would follow this color availability strategy. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep one or two permanently available until the total redesign?

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you got the bank go for it..................although that 20k figure is a little conservitive.

I agree. I think $20k on top of an '05 is very conservative. If MSRP comes in around low $90s, which seems to be the general expectation, by the time you add taxes, tags, dealer prep, delivery charge, etc, your looking at dropping $40k on top of the resale value of your '05.

I think I'll wait to see how the '08 performs before I commit that much $$$. I agree that life is short, but spending one more year in my '04 while I eveluate the '08 isn't exactly a hardship.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I think $20k on top of an '05 is very conservative. If MSRP comes in around low $90s, which seems to be the general expectation, by the time you add taxes, tags, dealer prep, delivery charge, etc, your looking at dropping $40k on top of the resale value of your '05.

I think I'll wait to see how the '08 performs before I commit that much $$$. I agree that life is short, but spending one more year in my '04 while I eveluate the '08 isn't exactly a hardship.

Same here--will see how '08 performs first. Having the '05 and the mods already added, it may not be that much of a difference, so wouldn't be worth trading. Yep, life is VERY short--evidenced by health issues--BUT driving the '05 beaut makes life beautiful! :love:
Can live with the fact of just OWNING a Viper, no matter WHAT Gen it is :2tu: :2tu: !
~juli~

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am keeping my 04 cuz I just got it last year, even though I really love the 08's technology. When the mileage gets up around 30k on my 04, I will get the Gen 4. I think it is a personal choice, but I also think we Viper lovers should support the Viper line as much as possible. It is a handbuilt exotic, and will can be the first victim of budget cuts if things get bad for Dodge if the support for Vipers drop off....just my two cents.

I'm with you. I only got my 05 a year and a half ago, and not much over 15k miles on it currently. I plan to continue to drive it and maybe get what comes out after the 08, e.g., the 12 model, since I tend to just keep vehicles and put the miles on them.

If the original poster has money growing on trees, then get the new car. But if you only drive a little, you might as well just drive you what have though.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy as much Viper as you can comfortably afford

and drive it like you stole it:)

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no real reason to believe that the new car should cost any more than the current one. Could the parts cost any more(i doubt it)? If they are smart they will keep(current price) or ruduce it!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was announced that pricing would be similar to currrent levels at least before dealer markup. Get the 08 if you want it. I assume you are looking at a coupe because of the stripes. As stated before, the hp wars could end suddenly. The chance to buy brand new Vipers may come to an end since there is no guarantees beyond a couple years.

OP
OP
B

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies & pretty much what I expected.
Financially I can swing it however I'm not too fond of pouring
$$$ down the drain if waiting say an extra 6 months = a better deal.

Also copperhead will be paid off next month...08 would = some monthly $
@ least for a while :crying:

Weather permitting I drive the car...although lately the weather has :curse:
BTW -it's a striped vert not a coupe.

Believe it or not the color is the biggest draw for me , of course the 600HP
doesn't hurt :drive:

OP
OP
B

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropping off my deposit tomorrow .:) ..got bogged down @ Verizon wireless for 3 freakin hours to replace my scatterbrain son's phone
(4th time mind you ..teeenagers :stooges: UGH !! ) :mad: .

Snakeskin Green White Stripes Here I come !! :D :D :D

Will decide how to pay & if I will keep ole copperhead later on :boggled:

Only in :usa:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21