Buying a car from MO to CA: CA smog legal issues

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am so excited. I am about to close a deal on a 03 SRT from a private owner located in St. Louis. I will be flying down there to look at it next Sunday. My question is should I be concern that a car in St. Louis may not pass CA smog? I assume this is an American Car, so it will presumably pass CA smog, right?

Secondly, anyone in the St. Louis area can give me some headsup as to what to do here? This is the first time I will be buying a car from so far away. What should I look for in terms of the exterior? I assume as to the engine, it is not an issue since it is under warranty, right? I will be asking for the VIN to check soon. Thanks for any advice. Hopefully in a couple weeks, I will be a Viper owner in San Jose, CA :)

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All newer vipers are 50 state legal cars, so smog shouldnt be a problem unless its been modified. Make sure he hasnt removed the cats. You will have to have it smogged to get it registered. Maybe someone here from the Gateway VCA knows the car.

Brad

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He told me that the SRT has not been modified at all. According to the person who intro me to him, a Gateway VCA officer, the car is in perfect condition. However, Owner just revealed to me that AC is not working. I am worried. :(

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check under the hood to make sure the EPA sticker certifying that it meets CA emissions standards is still there. If it has under 7500 miles it's still considered a new car and will need this. Look here for more info. CA DMV

Good luck and welcome aboard!

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, I read the info and it seems harsh. So do you know whether all SRTs are CA certified? or is this something that I really do have to look for?

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all vipers are 50 state smog legal, but the a/c not working sounds suspect...why wouldnt the guy get it fixed? i wouldnt buy it just knowing that either: a.) the a/c doesnt work for whatever reason and I have to get it fixed, or b.) the a/c doesnt work and the owner is too lazy or dumb to get it fixed before selling it sounds like a bad owner....just go buy a new one

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, he is selling it to me for $61k, and it has only 3200 miles on it. I guess that's why he doesn't care. He says that before we close the deal, he will have it repaired at the dealer. Should I still go for it? Advice, anyone?

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know ur economic situation, but i would advise to take whatever money u had to buy this one and bite the bullet and put it down on a brand new viper

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Blade Runner,

I would really appreciate you coming over to seller's house to check out the car for me before I fly over there and cost me and my buddy $1k and be disappointed. Any chance you would be willing to do that? I need to ask him first, and I don't even know where he lives, I know his area code is (314) though. Let me know if you can do this TODAY, since he will be in Las Vegas for some convention until next Sat. Thanks.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,
Is this John Zissers '03 (red)? If it is, I am the tech that just did the recalls on it and the car is very nice...just like new. John takes very good care of all of his cars. If it is another car, let me know and I will go check it out for you. I will make sure everything is cool and I will run a Chrysler history on it for you also...if that helps.
Let me know.
Later,
Joe

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, he is selling it to me for $61k, and it has only 3200 miles on it. I guess that's why he doesn't care. He says that before we close the deal, he will have it repaired at the dealer. Should I still go for it? Advice, anyone?

Vincent, that sounds like a great price. Have a local member check it out and shoot you some pics. As long as it hasn't been crashed or trashed and all the recalls done on it you should be fine. Give Chuck Tator a call and have him run the VIN for service history. Sounds like a great deal!

Hey,
Is this John Zissers '03 (red)? If it is, I am the tech that just did the recalls on it and the car is very nice...just like new. John takes very good care of all of his cars. If it is another car, let me know and I will go check it out for you. I will make sure everything is cool and I will run a Chrysler history on it for you also...if that helps.
Let me know.
Later,
Joe

What more can you ask for then that. A local Viper Tech offering to go look at it for you. Joe, you're a stand up guy. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey,
Let me know.
Later,
Joe

Hi PBJ,

Yes it is John's 03 red. OH MY GOD, I am so relieved to hear that. However, did you know anything about the AC not working? What is your guess on what could be wrong? In any case can you still run a VIN for me? 1B3JR65Z43V500143. Thank you so much PBJ

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,
He called me from VOI and said the air quit working while he was there. I had done the recalls on it and several other cars of his prior to VOI. When I did the cam bolt recall, you have to evac the A/C and remove some of the a/c parts i.e. compressor. I would guess that one of the compressor o-rings are leaking, John never had any a/c related problems until I did the recall. The car is still under basic 3/36, so there would be no problems with any repairs. I would gladly repair the problem for you before you pick it up, except I recently quit my position at the dealer to open my own speed shop here in town. I am in the process of working with another dealer in town to continue my warranty and service contract work with as a sub-contracter...I am sorry to say that it will most likely be past Sunday before I get this finalized. I believe that I am the only one to work on John's car (warranty repairs)besides the vehicle prep which was done at another dealer here in town (Lou Fusz if I am not mistaken). John owns several tire stores and one of his guys may have changed the oil, but I am relatively sure that is the only thing done to it. The car is like new, I think John pointed out one rock chip or something of that nature when he dropped it off to me. I try to go over every customers car before and after I work on it to make sure it is the same way they dropped it off. I wash all of my cars after I work on them, and I normally see most of the flaws then...I don't remember anything bad enough to mention. Other than that, I would say that John is pretty fair and square and I wouldn't hesitate believing anything he has to say about the car. Hope that help.
Later,
Joe

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, I am very relieved to hear that. You are Too COOL, Joe. Too bad, you can't be the one to work on the car for me before I take it back to CA. The car will most likely be there for another 2 weeks. I will see it next Sunday, and very likely John will bring it in on Monday or Tuesday. I will then have to get the financing finalized and then schedule for transportation. Thus, it will actually probably until late next week. Will that give you enough time? :2tu: :headbang: In any case, you made my day, buddy!!! Thanks for the heads up on John's car. Thank God for the internet, and for this forum. :2tu:

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A/C could just be the plug connector left undone on the compressor when they did the recall. They left mine unplugged and I've heard of several others too. Just plug it back in and it works fine (it that's it of course)

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincentesq,
Have John give me a call if you talk to him and I will see if I can get that handled for you. I need to go to his shop and mount some tire for another viper customer here in town. I could look at it there or go to his house...just let me know.
Later,
Joe
ps. Who is transporting your car for you ? I deal with Passport Transport here in town and they have always been great to deal with...I know they go to the west coast on a regular basis...it may be worth talking to them.

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Joe,

I just spoke with John, and he will be calling you. John is in Vegas this week, and probably won't be able to bring the car to you until next week. I don't know anyone for transport yet, so I will check Passport transport out. Thanks a million, Joe.

Blade Runner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe is a great guy. John's car is wonderful and with Joe helping out you fell into a great experence. Good luck with you new car and enjoy that sunny weather.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960