Buying an ACR-X

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just my $0.02 - I live in Cali and bought an '06 earlier this year from an out of state dealer and had it shipped cross country. When I went to the DMV to register it I was hit with CA sales tax on the full purchase amount. I expected this, but cutting the check still hurt. At least I drove out of the lot in a Viper!!!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my $0.02 - I live in Cali and bought an '06 earlier this year from an out of state dealer and had it shipped cross country. When I went to the DMV to register it I was hit with CA sales tax on the full purchase amount. I expected this, but cutting the check still hurt. At least I drove out of the lot in a Viper!!!

6.5% vehicle sales tax here in Minnesota PLUS an additional 1.25% x MSRP to register the car annually. Since the weather only permits me 6 months out of the year drive my Gen4, I pay a $160/month tax just for the "pleasure" of driving here. Blood suckers. :mad:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Race HQ / Tom Francis is in NC. Earlier this year - it was part of Evernham Motorsports, but is now a separate entity. This entity sold the comp coupes and is selling the ACRX's. It's a NC sale and NC tax is collected if you are an NC resident. And it's sales tax - NOT vehicle tax - big difference for us NC folks - regular tax is 7%-8% depending on your county - but vehicle tax is only 3%.

Since the ACRX is not a "vehicle" but really a "part" - it's like any other out of state purchase - likely the honor system to pay your state sales tax. Since you will never register it at DMV - you wouldn't be hit with tax at that time.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Cali buyers and others with sales tax, get ready for potential audits on your interstate purchases. What the state can do is require sellers to supply them with the buyers information.It's just a matter of making it a law. Viper Race HQ would not get into trouble, but their info supplied to the state would be used to collect the sales tax and penalties.

Since most states are so broke, this is going to be happening sooner than you think. CPA's are doing just what the other poster listed above "have you made any out of state purchases and need to pay use tax on"?? Trust me, this is a CYA thing for them too. For Cali, it's probably billions of dollars in lost revenue every year.

Hell, get the ACR-X now and roll the dice whether you'll pay tax and penalties or not. Once they put a tracking and reporting system in place as a law, you'll being paying regardless. You just need to figure out how much the penalties will be if you do have to pay in the future. Oh, and once they find a purchase as large a an ACR-X and no paid sales tax, they'll probably dig a little deeper to see what else you've been up to:(

Cheers,
George

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Ferrari Challenge cars are any indication, you can resell them for something a little more than a street version, but as soon as a better (newer) model comes out, the price plummets like any car. People have to consider that once the car is no longer truly competitive, then the only market is to ppl that want to convert it to street use, and that will cost a lot and make it a tough sell. CC have held their value pretty well because the factory hasn't built anything better/faster YET and they are still competitive in their series. The only 'vintage' cars that are going to be worth anything come with a pedigree of race wins, but that usually applies to higher level series, moreso than factory spec series cars. Don't buy one unless you have the budget to race it. No offense, but if you are concerned about sales tax, wait till you start buying a new set of Hoosiers and brake pads every week, not to mention full fluid changes, yada yada yada. Just my 2c.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Ferrari Challenge cars are any indication, you can resell them for something a little more than a street version, but as soon as a better (newer) model comes out, the price plummets like any car. People have to consider that once the car is no longer truly competitive, then the only market is to ppl that want to convert it to street use, and that will cost a lot and make it a tough sell. CC have held their value pretty well because the factory hasn't built anything better/faster YET and they are still competitive in their series. The only 'vintage' cars that are going to be worth anything come with a pedigree of race wins, but that usually applies to higher level series, moreso than factory spec series cars. Don't buy one unless you have the budget to race it. No offense, but if you are concerned about sales tax, wait till you start buying a new set of Hoosiers and brake pads every week, not to mention full fluid changes, yada yada yada. Just my 2c.

I agree, most think they can just show up at a track and keep driving it. Years ago an old racer told me for every hour on the track you will spend 20 hours on maintence...he was not that far off...and that is just time, not money!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All true for a full 12-race season, but there are also those folks who will race it at Viper Days maybe a couple weekends and then do some more affordable open track events on other weekends. For them the 7K - 10K sales tax savings is pretty significant.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All true for a full 12-race season, but there are also those folks who will race it at Viper Days maybe a couple weekends and then do some more affordable open track events on other weekends. For them the 7K - 10K sales tax savings is pretty significant.

If that's the plan, don't you think a 'regular' ACR would be a better choice? Then you can at least get some use/seat time in between events...on the street. I really don't think resale is a factor weighing in favor of an ACR-X. If occasional use and resale value are your prime consideratons, I personally think you would be better off getting a slightly used or new ACR for bargain price. Again, just my op.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think folks are concerned about safety, and that they could have a truly competitive specific race series designed around their car.

It's not if it's when - you are going to have a track incident -and the more you drive and the faster you go and the more comfortable you get with speeds, and confidence at certain tracks.... and as fast a Vipers go - if you are doing this in any sort of competitive environment you ought to be concerned about adding safety features.

The fact this car has a cage and doesn't have the "extraneous stuff" - especially for Chuck - makes this a great car for him to track and then to step up to race a few times a year.

I'd rather have him track a couple fewer times a year and invest in safety equipment.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that's the plan, don't you think a 'regular' ACR would be a better choice? Then you can at least get some use/seat time in between events...on the street. I really don't think resale is a factor weighing in favor of an ACR-X. If occasional use and resale value are your prime consideratons, I personally think you would be better off getting a slightly used or new ACR for bargain price. Again, just my op.

Unfortunately to go wheel-to-wheel you gotta have the full cage, fuel cell, etc. so this car seems perfect for those of us without the deep pockets. Besides, Janni's concerned about my safety. :love:

tfrancis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been reading all of your posts and I am glad the ACR X has gotten all of Viper Nation excited !!

I will try to address the sales Tax issue. Janni is correct if you live in North Carolina ( sorry Janni )you will have to pay 7.75 % sales tax any other state you would be subject to their laws concerning out of state purchase's.

Regarding the ACR versus ACR X debate if you want a car that is race track specific the ACR X is the safest and least expensive option. Dodge Motorsports is building this car to compete in a spec series with the Viper Racing Leaque and does not have any intention of adding additonal cost with upgrades.

Please call or email me and I would be more than happy to talk with you.

Tom Francis
Viper Race HQ
888-960-3333
[email protected]

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt that for race specific use, and maximum track safety, the ACR-X is the car to get. It will be interesting to see how much it actually costs to campaign one, and if the budget limited racers can compete with the guys in transporters.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible to compete with a Viper in a spec series. Henry and I did it in the Comp Coupe had he won the VRL Championship in 2005 against folks that spent tons more money - i.e professional crew, multiple sets of tires per weekend, personal coaches, coming in a day early to practice, etc.

The key to keeping a budget is a spec series. You can always spend more - but you don't NEED to.

The car itself is pretty easy to run - because it's not stressed as an engine and with sealed engines - you couldn't touch them - or the shocks / suspension, bodywork, etc. I would expect the ACR-X to be the same.