Buying out of state, far out of state

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I say out of state, but specifically, the Viper im looking to buy in coming into Canada.

My question is this: what would be the best way to assure reliability and such? The seller of the vehicle assures me the car is well maintained, has a clean carfax (i checked), and is mechanically smooth (has only 20k miles).

However, it still seems a bit iffy to buy a $40k car just like tha. Unfortunately, hes located pretty far from me... plane flight and such would be additional costs that Id like to avoid. On top of that, Im not a mechanic either.

So the idea was to have the car taken to a local Dodge dealership and have their viper "tech" take a look at the car and hook it up to the computers, etc etc. But the problem with this is, it coems with no reliability. Whos to blame if something goes wrong? Who takes responsibility? I know its a used vehicle ad no one is gona give you 100% satisfaction guarantee on paper, but what would be the best way to check out the car?

For what its worth, the car is located in Kingston, Pennsylvania. Im in Toronto, Canada myself. It'd be great if there was a place like Tator's Dodge to completely run the car over, but I have no idea whats in that pennsylvania area... and a Dodge dealer isnt sitting right with me 100%.

Any suggestions? :dunno:

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Ven, but I dont think I can post on the PA forum unless I have a membership, is that correct?

V

Venomiss

Thanks Ven, but I dont think I can post on the PA forum unless I have a membership, is that correct?

Don't know about that but you can call-it's in the site for you.:)
Denny and his wife Ginger head up the club. Very nice members who might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Contact Us​
You can contact the PA-WV Viper Club by e-mail at [email protected].
You can contact us by phone at 570-662-3103.
You can contact us by regular mail at
Viper Club of America,
PA-WV Region
PO Box 32
51 Skyline Drive
Mansfield , PA 16933​

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my wife's mercedes in California about 3000 miles away and they took the car to the dealership to do an inspection and then the delaership arranged shipping of the car to me. Took it out of the owners hands and sort of brokered the deal without any costs except for the inspection.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Heed the advice from Venomiss...VCA members and officers are HAPPY to help others with pre-purchase inspections...and it sure goes better for ALL when this help comes in a hands-on way AT THE FRONT END of the deal !!!

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prime example right here. I bought my Viper sight unseen. I was stationed on Embassy duty in the Ivory Coast of West africa, and the Vipers I was looking at were in California. So i simply called a local Dealership, which turned me to DC performace on the west coast. I explained I was a Marine stationed overseas and i needed them as my eyes and ears to inspect the car and run over it to find anything wrong with it. They inspected one car which turned out to have way to many problems, and the next one was the one for me, in which i had them do other performance work before the car was delivered to my parents house in an enclosed trailer. Everything worked out great, just call a dodge dealership and have them inspect it throughly, cost me 100 bucks per inspection. Sounds like alot but not when your buying a 40K + car. I luckily found a viper shop so it worked out great for me. Good luck!

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$100 for peace of mind is nothing.
Im willing to pay well over that to assure the car is decent.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kingston is about 2 1/2 hours north of me, let me know where abouts the car is, and I can probably hook you up with one of our members closer to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96