Buying Out-of-State

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, question...

if i go out of state to buy my viper, who do i pay the sales tax to? do i pay it when i register the car in my state? is it the standard state sales tax??

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can work two ways -- depending on your state and the state you buy it in.

I ordered a car from a dealership in Illinios but I live in California. I have to pay California's state tax. The other way ( i don't know much about it ) One state gets a cut and another gets theres. I don't know how that works.

Luvjet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought mine in Florida. Live in Texas. Paid Florida sales tax and then paid the difference in Texas. The difference between Florida and Texas is 1/8th of a percent. From what I understand, most states are reciprocal like that.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Buy in another state and drive it back..... you pay the state you bought it in.
2) Buy it in another state and ship it to your state, you pay your states (county really).
3) Go to Arizona and pay NO SALES TAX.....mmmmm

This is me
P.O. box 1234
somewhere Az. 12345

Now why didn't I think of that........

Shakin Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in Arizona, that is a fact, you pay no sales tax in Arizona as long as you purchase from a private party. If you buy from a dealer you do pay sales tax in AZ.

Now here is a question if anyone should know. With me living in Arizona, if I buy a GTS in another state would I be required to pay that states sales tax if I truck her back to Arizona?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that you wouldn't have to pay the other states tax if you have it shipped. I'm looking into that right now. If I buy the viper I want in say Illinois then ship it back I pay only the stiff 2.75% in DE. I would assume that it would work the same in AZ.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveb:
1) Buy in another state and drive it back..... you pay the state you bought it in.
2) Buy it in another state and ship it to your state, you pay your states (county really).
3) Go to Arizona and pay NO SALES TAX.....mmmmm

This is me
P.O. box 1234
somewhere Az. 12345

Now why didn't I think of that........

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about this? I bought my GTS in Texas and they knew I was driving it back to California. They did not charge me sales tax, but registering it at DMV in Calif I paid the tax there.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it doesn't matter where you BUY the car, it only matters where you REGISTER the car. For example, I purchased my car in TN, drove it back to PA, registered the car and payed 7% sales tax. This is the rate in Allegheny County, PA. I don't see why you would pay any tax in a state that the vehicle is not registered.

Now could I have registered the car in AZ and payed no sales tax? Good question. Probably would at least need an AZ address and a valid AZ drivers license. Would have to call AZ DMV to see what you would need, but it's making me say hmmmmmmm...... Big savings on a Viper purchase.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc