Buying Warrantees --> Used Car How To?

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to buy a warrantee on a used Viper (let’s say a 1996 with no current warrantee). I’ve seen offers to buy warrantees on other used cars, but the Viper always seems to be excluded from the list.

If so, what would I expect to pay for a 1996 GTS with 20K miles? Or am I stuck with buyer beware???

Thanks!!

MJBComp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased an Extended Warranty for my 1997 RT/10. The 3yr/36,000 Mile warranty went out about 7 months ago.

I called my local Dodge Dealership where I'm pretty good friends with the finance manager and they said they use a 3rd party company for all of their Extended Warranties if the car has previously lapsed in coverage.

In my case since i've had my Viper there a few times they made a call and i was able to purchase an Extended Warranty with Chryler backing it up instead of the 3rd party company.

I could have purchased an Extended Warranty for 3,4,5,6, or 7 years and Mileage of 50k, 60k, 75k, or 100k miles (in any combination). I had them quote me three prices:

5Yr/50k = $1530.00
6Yr/60K = $1750.00
7Yr/75K = $1900.00

I went ahead and purchased the $1900.00 Extended Warranty. It's great piece of mind.

BTW, they also said you will have to put your auto through their 27 point inspection and you will have to pay for anything that's wrong with the vehicle to meet their "Used Car" standards.

Once that's been completed, they will give you a certificate that 'certifies' your vehicle. With this certificate you can then contact their 3rd party company and discuss their warranty options.

Cross your fingers and hope you can get a Chrylser backed warranty.

Good Luck...

OP
OP
B

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, dumb question, but when does the mileage clock start? From current mileage or from 0? I'm guessing 0... Same goes for Year. If the car was purchased in 1996, then I'd be forced to go with the 7 year to squeez another two years out, right?

MJBComp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the mileage and year start from the 0 Miles and the original Sell Date of the vehicle.

That's why i decided to go with 7yr/75,000 miles. It was only a few hundred dollars more that the other two quotes i received and is easily worth the price of admission.
smile.gif

Mark F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Viper can definitely be out of warranty and still eligible for an extended warranty from D-C. Here's a post I did to the VCA in May 2001 which may be helpful. Mark F
-----------------------------------------

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would only buy the Factory DC warranty....if you still can.

I had to pay full retail but had no option. My 98 was out of warranty and the dealerships would not sell me the extended warranty. So I called Chrysler directly. For the 7/50 zero deductible, it was $2500. That price included a $100 per year penalty for not buying during the initial purchase of the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96