cam sensor recall

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you may already know about this, there might have even been a post about it that I missed. When I picked up my 94 from service yesterday the tech told me about a recall on the cam sensor on some 08 vipers. :dunno: I don't know what its all about but I thought I would share the information. You may want to call your local dealer about it.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3 cam sensors installed before we found a good one.:omg: The SRT team installed one in a viper, test drove the car before sending the third. Just to make sure this one was guaranteed to be in good working order.:D

I will say this,the SRT team & Stafford Dodge Of Springfield VA (viper tech Jeff Sherwin) was extremely and I mean over the top helpful in resolving the issue. I have owned several different sports cars and not once did I receive service like I received with a Dodge viper.
Kudos to the SRT team and Stafford Dodge of Springfield for there hard work and dedication to ensuring my viper was in good working order...:drive:

VipeRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my new 08 yesterday and quite frankly,was very dissapointed with the power output.Could this possibly be related to the cam sensor? Thanks RAY

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my new 08 yesterday and quite frankly,was very dissapointed with the power output.Could this possibly be related to the cam sensor? Thanks RAY
hmmm power on 08 is amazing,get some miles on the car and than start shifting at near redline and let us know about the power than.if you still feel its down get the car dynoed

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got a recall in the mail "Recall H18" control module. I asked my dealer what this was and he had nothing on it, He will have to check and get back to me. I wonder if that is the cam sensor?

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had 3 cam sensors installed before we found a good one.:omg: The SRT team installed one in a viper, test drove the car before sending the third. Just to make sure this one was guaranteed to be in good working order.

How did you know they were faulty?

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't bother evaluating the cars performance until it's broke in. Around 2k miles is when you really start to feel the power. As for the cam sensor, you'll know if you have a bad one. The car will go into limp mode, allowing about 30% power and no revs above 2k.

waltershu

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I said the same thing.Give it a little time,about 750 to 800 miles.you will see a difference.:2tu:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Basically unless you are getting a P0368 cam fault... don't do the swap... if you are getting that nasty MIL go for the new part. As you can see from some of the others here so far, if you have the bad luck on the bad sensor, it might take more than one sensor pill to cure your snake.

This particular issue is a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't bother evaluating the cars performance until it's broke in. Around 2k miles is when you really start to feel the power. As for the cam sensor, you'll know if you have a bad one. The car will go into limp mode, allowing about 30% power and no revs above 2k.

Sad to say I might not notice any problem above 2k RPM. Never really get the chance to get there.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recall H18 Body Control Module
Up to build date April 14,2008 about 30 Vipers MAY not have the immobilization system software installed on BCM. The module needs to be replaced.

No TSB's on cam sensors.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I know of two Camshaft position sensers that were replaced PRE-delivery per "Rapid Response..." notice (I hesitate to say "recall" as I can't remember the wording)... both had build dates in early 08.

This is an easy job...can do it yourself in 1/2 hour...as the sensor is on the back of the engine, noting that the part is only a few bucks, often stocked at local dealers.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The camshaft position sensor is part number 05149054 AC...cost about $14...and, YES, I store it in the 08 Coupe :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but you can't really see it with the car assembled...need to remove plastic cowling at base of windshield.

By the way...the instructions/drawings for this procedure as found on the 2008 Dodge Viper Service Manual CD are WRONG!!! You DO NOT need to remove intake manifold to change the camshaft position sensor...which is NOT on the top of the front of the engine as shown on MY CD!!!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
To expound of my above comment concerning "Rapid Response..." notice (I hesitate to say "recall" as I can't remember the wording

I should clarify that the term is "RRT" supposedly stands for a "Rapid Response Transmission"...meaning (as I've told by a nearby Viper Tech) that this is a service that must be performed prior to delivery...AND, if a given percent are indeed done pre-delivery, the company can avoid that bad word "recall".

Can't really add any more, but I hope that this helps.

Anyone give a better or more accurate definition??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960