Can anyone confirm this re: Gen v viper?

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read and heard conflicting stories regarding the start-stop feature and cylinder deactivation. Does anyone have knowledge from a credible source if our next snake will have
one, both or neither of these horrific features?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I have no inside info I would venture a guess and say it DOESN'T have it. That's just MHO.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its completely stupid idea, my o9 silverado has it and gets worse gas milage than my 02- complete clowns, how did that happen? oh my 07-08-and 09 all worse than my 02 by 3 mpg at least

Last edited:

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it cannot have cylinder deactivation if it is a manual transmission. That feature is too difficult to implement on a manual car which is why it is not on the manual Challengers.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it will have it.............. you turn the key off everytime you stop then turn it on to drive lol

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it cannot have cylinder deactivation if it is a manual transmission. That feature is too difficult to implement on a manual car which is why it is not on the manual Challengers.

cylinder deactivation has nothing to do with the transmission.
The "rest" of the engine is still running :rolleyes:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cylinder deactivation has nothing to do with the transmission.
The "rest" of the engine is still running :rolleyes:

If you look at all the cars on the market with cylinder deactivation, the automatic version has it, the manual does not.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manual Transmissions dont have cylinder deactivation due to the fact that when the cylinders drop out and come back in you will "feel" this in the vehicle and drivetrain a lot more than in an auto where the torque converter absorbes the transitions. The coming back in is where its not commerical. Its a hell of a bump.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manual Transmissions dont have cylinder deactivation due to the fact that when the cylinders drop out and come back in you will "feel" this in the vehicle and drivetrain a lot more than in an auto where the torque converter absorbes the transitions. The coming back in is where its not commerical. Its a hell of a bump.

This is what I got from two SRT engineers, one on the Challenger SRT/8 and one on the Gen V Viper. The reason that the manual does not have cylinder deactivation is that Federal rules prohibit the manufacturer from claiming increased gas mileage on manual trans cars because they cannot determine when/if cylinders will be deactivated because of user selected gears. Given this there is no benefit to CAFE to justify the cost of adding it. On auto trans cars the programming determines when cylinders are deactivated based on load and speed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960