Can Stock Vipers run 11 Sec ETs ?

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can a True stock Viper run ET's of like 11.90's ???

I am looking at modifying the index for this class. Just want to make sure it is legit.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best I have been able to do with minimal mod's and only one time out at the track was 12.30 - traction was a big problem - with better 60 ft times via drag radials I think I could run 11.90's but probably nothing better with my current mod's

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You gotta be kidding me, David. I dipped into the 11s at 119 mph with smooth tubes,K&Ns, ripper shifter, MSD wires. Is this stock enough for you? How about my 1.86 60' on 18" pilots? I'll do it again in Shreveport.

GTS Dean, I believe your car runs well, too, yes?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, my DLM brotha'... They CAN run 11's. Quite a few ppl on this board have, stock. Come to mind. Jason Heffner has, Jamie Furman, and a few others. Not impossible. But takes perfect conditions

Gerald

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Dr. Roof,
Stock 96 GTS with K&N Filters, Smooth tubes, and Kumho's. The only change is that this car had 3.73 gears when I bought it. Complete stock exhaust but the cats were removed. Runs 11.8's all day long with good track conditions. Hope that helps.

Keith

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In competition will be the biggest factor. When the pressure of cutting a good light as well as hitting shifts points comes into play, I think the number of 11's for "stock" Vipers will be minimal.

I guess my only question is what do you consider stock???

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought there was a post of an all time low GTS of 11.6x from a car they took from the showroom. I don't think I am dreaming :)

OP
OP
D

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at the stock class index and a couple of guys ran 12's and broke out with 11.98 or 11.96's I am thinking of giving them soem room but want to make sure it was still fair.

The Index is set now at 12.00 but I think it might need some grace for a great run.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Snakester's right. Evan Smith, an amazing professional driver, utilized quite frequently by car mags to get the most out of their cars AND a great friend of our NJ VCA, has published two times that are in the 11's... the first being his 2000 R/T 10 run of 11.77 .... the second, a stock 2000 Black/Silver (ahem... owned by yours truly) of 11.98 on a HOT 90+ degree day with 90%+ humidity!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the stock class can run Purners, 11's will be abundant. I'm not sure if that is allowed in the stock class but I'm sure you are. :laugh:

Chad

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can Stock Vipers run 11 Sec ETs ?

You need to be at sea-level to break into the 11's on a stock Viper.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine is "close to stock" but not actually "stock." I do think that given the right driver and conditions, a Gen 2 with only tubes and filters can get into the 11s on OEM rubber.

My all-time best was at the V-10 Nats last December. We all know how perfect the conditions were then. :2tu: I haven't been into the 11s since. _Lots_ of 12.0s though.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ran 11.50's with my only mods being no cats or mufflers. 11's are not that hard to do in one of these things!

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the meaning of stock should be nothing added at all filters, tubes, etc. and nothing removed at all. Only the way the car came that year and model. It would probably be hard to get very many pure stock in one class.
I think when a car has the lowest 60ft time overall counting all classes and ran in the stock class something does not seem very stock about it. I may be wrong but I think this was the case at the Florida V10 Nationals.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock 60ft 1.4?? Chuck was this right? I think this is what kept you from winning.

Surly 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With minimal mods, headers, borla cat back and k&n's I was knockin on the door with my pilots at about 25lbs. I'm sure that it can be done with the right driver. Personal best was 12.005.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this really apply to this series?

I thought everything was indexed?

Regardless if you are on the verge of 11's, 10's, or 9's....that's racing.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,Are we running a index based on ET or the mods on the car? Every time I have asked I have been told mods do not matter that you run in the class your car fits based on ET.

Mike, it wasn't the 60ft time that got Chuck,the .001 difference means they ran an almost identical time. It was the nap he was taking at the start that put the car length on him.

See you in BG.