Can you honestly use all this crazy boosted Viper horsepower? Seriously . .

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand that if you do these really cool high speed events/standing miles events, or if you are a ********* drag race lover and go slicks etc that you could have a heck of a bunch of fun with all these crazy 800 - 1,200 monster horsepower people are building, but honestly - come on - one of these cars with Pilots on the rear is really just a dyno queen right? Maybe it is because I live in an urban area and have no place to go much over 100 mph, but all the power just seems unuseable to me except for bragging rights? Given traction issues, I'm guessing my little bolt-on car is just as fast as these monsters in a stoplight contest "urban warfare" situation - say 0-60. No?

But I sure would like to drive a big boosted car to see for myself! :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand that if you do these really cool high speed events/standing miles events, or if you are a ********* drag race lover and go slicks etc that you could have a heck of a bunch of fun with all these crazy 800 - 1,200 monster horsepower people are building, but honestly - come on - one of these cars with Pilots on the rear is really just a dyno queen right? Maybe it is because I live in an urban area and have no place to go much over 100 mph, but all the power just seems unuseable to me except for bragging rights? Given traction issues, I'm guessing my little bolt-on car is just as fast as these monsters in a stoplight contest "urban warfare" situation - say 0-60. No?

Trade in your snake for a Prius and call it a day. :rolleyes:

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's a good question? I've wondered(to an extent) that myself. I gonna guess that most of the ones getting the Superchargers and TT's are doing some racing and not just waisting hard earned $ on these just to say "Look at my dyno sheet etc...."

I'm sure they will chime in. :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i understand what you are saying, but isnt a viper in factory stock form mostly unuseable for urban streets too?

and sure there are some bragging rights involved! i think we all do that just by OWNING a viper.

we all do a LITTLE bragging whether we admit to it or not. wouldnt you agree?

<< tubes, 70mm t-bodies; underdrive pulley; full Belanger; Crower rockers; .80/.64 5th/6th; 3.55; WCV cooling mods; Mopar PCM; eibach >>

:2tu:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take a 1300 hp viper anyday, when someone ask's me what I have under the hood. I can say TWINTURBO 1300HP, it rolls off the tongue alot better!! Now everybody say it together 1300 HP!!! See sounds pretty good dont it!! :2tu:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PhoenixGTS, it all depends on how the power comes on.

Smaller, turbos hit harder earlier making the power unuseable as compared to the more linear manner the big turbos build the power.

Joe Dell's car with twin 76GTS's is fairly easy to put the power down on Pilots.

0-60 is not where the big power cars shine. It's more like 150-200+.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can you honestly use all this crazy boosted Viper horsepower? Seriously

As Paolo stated it's all in the setup and design. If you have a pair of GT35's and the power hits at 2500rpm it's going to be very very hard to control. With the larger turbos they come in a bit later, which some call "laggy" but it actually makes the car 10x easier to drive on a daily basis. It's not to the point of being slow and annoying, just that you can comfortably cruise the car around w/o blowing the tires off with every throttle movement. The fact that the turbos never really reach full boost in the lower gears helps enormously as well. On street tires in 1st and 2nd gear just doesn't put enough load on the motor to get much over 8 psi, this is just about ideal as it's right at the limit of traction. Put some slicks on and you can slam 15psi in the lower gears all day long if you wish.

I was absolutely astounded how well Dell's car hooked up when I drove it. With some suspension adjustment and a little common sense you can absolutely drive these 1000+ rwhp cars on a daily basis. I was very very surprised how docile Joe's car is, given the fact that it was making north of 1200rwhp at the time. Yeah it started to spin the drag radials a bit at 140mph but it was easily controlled via throttle input.

Just how tame are they? Put it to you this way. Paolo and myself drove Dell's car back home from lunch, in the RAIN, on well worn Drag Radials, and it never missed a beat. Car was just as tame as any stock viper.

It takes a little common sense, and a LOT of respect for the car, but it's not nearly as rude and violent as one would think.

That being said I feel pretty confidant in my next statement. I would say 90% of people who THINK they want a 1000+ hp car, don't have the balls to sit in the passenger seat when one is being driven hard, let alone climb behind the wheel.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With the larger turbos they come in a bit later, which some call "laggy" but it actually makes the car 10x easier to drive on a daily basis. It's not to the point of being slow and annoying, just that you can comfortably cruise the car around w/o blowing the tires off with every throttle movement. The fact that the turbos never really reach full boost in the lower gears helps enormously as well.
That totally makes sense. With the stock compression a boosted Viper is not going to be "slow" before the boost hits like a smaller engine, and hearing that the lower gears do not make enough load to get big turbos to full boost explains A LOT (including that once those monster snails scroll up it must be an "E ticket" ride for sure).

Given that though, these 800 hp Roe cars with that unbelieveably steep torque curve have to be really difficult to control.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would say 90% of people who THINK they want a 1000+ hp car, don't have the balls to sit in the passenger seat when one is being driven hard, let alone climb behind the wheel.
Last time I checked My balls were still hanging from the vine. But of course rideing in the passenger seat in a 1000 hp car they would problably shrivel up like raisin's. Im in that 10% that want's 1 balls or no balls!!

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have to either drive next to an 800HP plus Viper or beter yet ride in one to understand just how radically fast they are. Just when you think your stock viper with bolt ons is fast while at full throttle @ 100mph, a twin turbo Viper will roar past you from far behind while burning rubber and make you look like your standing still. I never see anyone wanting less power but always see people that have 800 wanting to go to 900 or 1000 or 1500. If you have the money and the b a l l s this car becomes more of an addiction than Richard Pryor on Crack.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the 800 rwhp ROE cars have to be a handfull to drive....thats why i wanted a paxton. the paxton makes it power from 4000 and up making it a nice ride around town and when ya wanna street race, its there in a big way.

but the best way to control these big power cars is the right foot.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take a 1300 hp viper anyday, when someone ask's me what I have under the hood. I can say TWINTURBO 1300HP, it rolls off the tongue alot better!! Now everybody say it together 1300 HP!!! See sounds pretty good dont it!! :2tu:

Couldn't agree more!!! Some of these new laws with the 100mph loss of license kinda discourage the high speed runs, but god, even the thought of having that much power and not be lying might be reason enough to go TT :ooo:

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No doubt Phoenix, a 1000hp TT car has to be MUCH easier to drive around town than an 800hp Roe. After driving a turbo car it really makes all the supercharger systems look pathetically inadequate.

And yeah words can't describe how it feels when those 76's stand up and scream. Through 1st and 2nd you're kinda wondering whats going on, 3rd gear most people are looking for something to hang onto, 4th will make just about anyone who THINKS they have a fast car scream like a little girl. These big HP cars will pull 3k-6k rpm in 4th as quickly as a stock car will in 2nd.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Given that though, these 800 hp Roe cars with that unbelieveably steep torque curve have to be really difficult to control"

Do you mean relatively level, as compared to the Paxton, torque curve? The torque for the Roe setup was over 500 ft lbs at 1800 RPM. Having had an 8 lb Roe system, I think it is fair to say that it definitely had "around town driveability issues" as compared to the stock Paxton setup I now have on my new coupe. However, I do not mean "issues" in a negative way. It was a trade off. There is no way to have that kind of low end torque without the need for more low end driving discipline. Also, I believe that some people that install a Roe supercharger do not realize or properly take into account the effect of adding about 125 lbs of weight ( The approximate additional weight of all the Roe kit components) to the front of the car. I would bet that most do not adjust their suspensions for the difference. The same warning applies, to a lesser extent since the Paxton kit adds on only about seventy pounds,to puting on the Paxton supercharger. I think that power, in and of itself, is not the issue. The issue is modding the car as an organic engineering whole so that all systems are up to the task of properly handling the power. The new Bughatti coupe is 1001 HP and from all reports so far is very streetable other than the anxiety over driving a car that costs over one million dollars!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i understand what you are saying, but isnt a viper in factory stock form mostly unuseable for urban streets too?

and sure there are some bragging rights involved! i think we all do that just by OWNING a viper.

I think that sums it up about right. Realistically, a Z06 is the perfect sportscar for an urban area... civil in traffic, yet can turn up the power if needed. But we don't own Vipers to be civil. The raw torque stock is pretty insane as it is. Anything more than stock is just taking it to the next level to see if you can do it. An athlete doesn't stop training because he hit the four minute mile. There's no end for an obsession, especially if it's for speed. For some people, you can never go fast enough. :2tu:

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have to either drive next to an 800HP plus Viper or beter yet ride in one to understand just how radically fast they are. Just when you think your stock viper with bolt ons is fast while at full throttle @ 100mph, a twin turbo Viper will roar past you from far behind while burning rubber and make you look like your standing still. I never see anyone wanting less power but always see people that have 800 wanting to go to 900 or 1000 or 1500. If you have the money and the b a l l s this car becomes more of an addiction than Richard Pryor on Crack.

having had a 1000rwhp roe/n20 viper, the next evolution is a 1500+hp tt viper.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Nextel cup car with 700HP or so spins its slicks comming off of a corner in 4th gear on a short track.A 500 HP Viper on pilots breaks them loose in 1&2 so add another 100 if you need to spin them in 3rd.No good reason to have more than 600 on street tires.What it amounts to is its a mine is bigger than yours is.Handling and brake improvements first.Then add a useful amaount of power. GTS Bruce

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that outside of ******** racers, many people just get used to the Viper's power levels and want more.
The Paxton system looks nice because you have the added power, but can easily pass tighter smog testing and inspections.

The cool part about the twin turbo setups is that combined with AEM control systems they can have adjustable boost in each gear, so that they have good around town driviability with 600HP, and then 1000HP when the car has traction in 4th gear, which gives you the best of both worlds. :2tu:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fun on the street! :2tu:

But I did NOT let anyone else drive! I would not like that at all! :shocked:

OK, my wife drove a couple times, but she just chilled! :D

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Nextel cup car with 700HP or so spins its slicks comming off of a corner in 4th gear on a short track.A 500 HP Viper on pilots breaks them loose in 1&2 so add another 100 if you need to spin them in 3rd.No good reason to have more than 600 on street tires.What it amounts to is its a mine is bigger than yours is.Handling and brake improvements first.Then add a useful amaount of power. GTS Bruce

Bruce, I have a lot of respect for all your road racing and overall experience BUT:

You would just have to take a ride in a properly sized pair of 76GTS's TT Viper to feel what Rogue is talking about.

I took the Derek Daily driving school in Joe Dell's car and I just can't describe how easy it was to drive on the track.

I loved it!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Paolo.Yes I'm skeptical of the need for it and the ability to get traction on street tires.That being said.You know the Viper will have traction control etc. if power levels keep rising.So count me in for a traction controled mega HP car.Or maybe a computer as in AEM boost control level for each gear and RPM.Didn't know that boost is currently so programable.Right now I think I could use an extra 100HP or so.... GTS Bruce

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< tubes, 70mm t-bodies; underdrive pulley; full Belanger; Crower rockers; .80/.64 5th/6th; 3.55; WCV cooling mods; Mopar PCM; eibach >>

:2tu:

What are you talking about? I have daily driven a Viper for 5 years (80k+ miles), which involves plenty of "urban" driving, and the Viper does just fine.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< I have daily driven a Viper for 5 years (80k+ miles), which involves plenty of "urban" driving, and the Viper does just fine >>

i know that slaughter.

the statement was made that "all the power (800 - 1,200HP) just seems unuseable to me".

i am just saying that the full capabilities of even a stock viper far exceeds the limits of urban streets and its full capacity is mostly unuseable/not used. is 500 hp fully used on the street? of course not.

we are driving cars capable of 200 MPH are we not? i really dont think it matters if it is 500 horses or 1200 IMO. ALL this "crazy viper horsepower" and the cars full capacity is mostly unuseable unless "you do these really cool high speed events/standing miles events, or if you are a ********* drag race lover". a car doing 45 mph on an urban street that is capable of 200 mph shows alot unused capacity in my book. i just dont think it matters how much horsepower it has.

lets face it, these things will ALWAYS BE monsters no matter how much horsepower they have. :2tu: Seriously. :D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a guy at a cruise today with a '64 Dodge and a 471ci Hemi under the hood. It'd be great to have a high horsepower Viper there and lure him into getting whupped in a race.