Car & driver on ZO6 Performance a little lower but fast.

Gianni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MARCH 06, 2005

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
1 2 3

(continued)

CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
Estimated base price: $62,500
Engine type: pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 428 cu in, 7008cc
Power (SAE net): 500 bhp @ 6200 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 475 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 105.7 in
Length/width/height: 174.6/75.6/49.1 in
Curb weight: 3150 lb
Manufacturer's performance ratings:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.7 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 11.7 sec @ 127 mph
Projected fuel economy (C/D est):
EPA city driving: 16 mpg
EPA highway driving: 22 mpg

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because it's a gonna kick your.....

- The 11.7 @ 127 stats are a C&D performance prediction for the Z06 and were mentioned inside the issue's article on a LPE 402 C6 Corvette (11.9@122mph)

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque has very little to do with MPH in the 1/4 mile, HP/weight ratio does.

The redline (from a previous article) for the Z06 is 7K RPM's.

If it makes an honest 500 HP the car is good enough for about 125 MPH. But much like the Viper, Ford GT, etc. it could be underrated and may be making a few more ponies.....

2-3 mph high

my 96 gts put out more torque than that thing. what's the redline on it?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because it's a gonna kick your.....

- The 11.7 @ 127 stats are a C&D performance prediction for the Z06 and were mentioned inside the issue's article on a LPE 402 C6 Corvette (11.9@122mph)

so they havent actually tested it and got those numbers

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it makes an honest 500 HP the car is good enough for about 125 MPH. But much like the Viper, Ford GT, etc. it could be underrated and may be making a few more ponies.....

2-3 mph high

can you fill in the blanks here & then explain how tq doesn't matter?

3523HPTQ.jpg

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed.

While I'm sure it's going to be a fast car, I think it's a little silly that people are just wildly throwing around precise numbers of what it's going to do, without a single road test.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask ANY serious dragracer what influences MPH at the 1/4 mile more, HP or torque.....

From your post I can tell you are not a drag racer.

2-3 mph high

can you fill in the blanks here & then explain how tq doesn't matter?

3523HPTQ.jpg

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a serious drag racer. And I don't disagree.

But can we could still fill in the blanks. I think you'll see that the HP value per engine matches torque value per engine all the way up to the limit of the lower ranged engine. Then it's a function of rpms as to who has more HP.

RPMs will be the same until one exceeds the other's range, 5252 will be the same. All that's left is TQ, of course until the V-8 starts revin' higher than the V-10.

I don't think it adds up to much of a spanking is all I'm saying. Their torque number is low, and the HP number is peaky. (in the upper rpm band) Impossible to stay on the bubble all the time.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it adds up to much of a spanking is all I'm saying.

If any.

The Viper has torque all over the Vette and throughout a much wider RPM range. The Vette might finally keep from embarrassing itself, but it ain't gonna spank the Viper.

BTW SCCA WC has choked the Viper CC with a 50% restrictor plate for the 05 season. Maybe the Vettes will finally make a showing - if they can beat out GM's performance car - Cadillac. LOL

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same BS that we were all hearing when the SRT's were coming out. When you get to this type of power level its all about the traction.

The new zo6 is going to have even less of it than vipers just because its tires are smaller. So expecting it to run that fast is just plain silly.

Besides we are all still debating about the specs of a car that has not officialy been released yet. By the time it comes it the weight could be 3500lb's, so speculation is pointless.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Staying in the powerband is not hard if you A) Have a close ratio transmission and B) Have a wide "enough" powerband. For instance high HP Supras have what most consider "peaky" powerbands and low low-end torque. Yet with my HKS TT Supra (786 RWHP boost only) I was able to run a 10.41 @ 139.6 MPH (143.2 MPH best) with a weight of 3780 pounds (scale at the track) on 17" drag radials. Now the new Z06 won't make that much power but it will still have a flatter torque curve since we are still talking about 7 liters (which is not as big as the Viper but still big).

For the record I spun that Supra to 7800 RPM's at the track. Shifting even at ~7000 RPM's (what I usually shift at on the street on my Supras) the car would stay on the power band.

Will the Z06 perform as "predicted"? I have no clue. But if it meets it's 500 HP and 3130 pound target the car will trap in the 125 MPH range which is good enough for mid 11's with good traction. Heck I have seen a 100% stock 1996 Viper GTS that ran 11.80 @ 120.X MPH!

I'm not a serious drag racer. And I don't disagree.

But can we could still fill in the blanks. I think you'll see that the HP value per engine matches torque value per engine all the way up to the limit of the lower ranged engine. Then it's a function of rpms as to who has more HP.

RPMs will be the same until one exceeds the other's range, 5252 will be the same. All that's left is TQ, of course until the V-8 starts revin' higher than the V-10.

I don't think it adds up to much of a spanking is all I'm saying. Their torque number is low, and the HP number is peaky. (in the upper rpm band) Impossible to stay on the bubble all the time.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't disagree for the 1320.

I'm guessing Chuck would rather watch 'em run in circles, maybe mix in some right hand turns and short bursts.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because it's a gonna kick your..... - The 11.7 @ 127 stats are a C&D performance prediction for the Z06 and were mentioned inside the issue's article on a LPE 402 C6 Corvette (11.9@122mph)
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude