Car is not here yet But I have a ?

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never had a vert before. How do you take care of the top?
In my childhood I watched a guy wash a C4 vette. It was summer and that day was hot. After washing the car he put the top down and went for a cruise. Well upon returning the top had shrunk and no longer closed. In the process of wrestling with it he bent the frame. Cost a couple of nickels to fix.
Question is how do you guys wash and care for the top???
BTW my dad hates when I bring up that story!!!! :D

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just wash it with water when you wash the car, use soap if it gets that dirty. dry it with a towel...

In short, treat it like the rest of the exterior. It wont shrink or anything, and the SRT top is QUITE a bit sturdier than a C4 top...

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go ahead and soap the top up with your favorite wash. The top is a good place to start as it works best to wash top down anyway. Be sure to rinse things off thoroughly after sudsing. Oh, it's probably not a bad idea to wait until the top dries before tucking it away. In warm sunny weather doesn't take long and you’re good to go. It's that simple.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three other helpful hints and one warning, most of which I tried personally:

1. As with any fabric, it will get some lint and small threads from your wash mitts/towels, as well as from your drying towels - even if you never touch it with anything but water. Use a lint brush (roller with double-sided masking tape) to keep it nice and dark with no fuzzies.

2. Using one hand to carefully keep the hose from bumping the paint, use a strong shop vac or the ones at the self-serve car wash to really pull the dust/dirt/debris off of the top. I do this every six months or so and am always surprised at the difference.

3. Many have had success using a marine fabric protector to keep the top from soaking up too much water. While I have never used any, others seem to swear by it.

4. WARNING: Never, ever spray with a high pressure (or even a garden) hose UPWARD on the back glass. I don't know if it was just my car (2003), but it seemed as though the top of the window was either wide open or had some porous material which connects it: One spray towards the top (from the bottom) and there was a lot of water in the car and all over the inside glass. Always wash the back glass from the top down.

Good luck, and have fun!

Reaction score
but it seemed as though the top of the window was either wide open or had some porous material which connects it

What are the chances it was designed that way....you know, for venting the cabin? I don't think I have heard of this prior to today. :confused: