Car lift for garage

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the minimum garage height is for a 4 post car lift. I have heard that it is 9 or 10 feet but that sounds kind of low. I only have 10 feet and would realy like to turn my 2 car garage into a three car garage.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too only have a 10' ceiling. I can stack a 66 GT350 or a 70 BOSS302 Mustang atop or below my Viper. In one bay I removed the overhead garage door opener, and you need to make sure that there are no lights, fans, etc at the tallest point of the car.. I turned my 3 car into a 5 car with (2) Backyard Buddy lifts (the best IMHO).

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Height of both vehicles, plus 10 inches. That is the minimum with an American Custom lift four post Park Master.

Of course you have to clear the garage door too. I went with a Wayne Dalton garage door sucked right up to the roof as close as I could. I removed all of the door opener stuff that hung down in the middle and added a Wayne Dalton i-Drive lift on the side. Awesome stuff.

Hope that helps!

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my ceiling is about 9' 4", I did a "high lift" on the garage door so it travels about 5" down from the ceiling (lift motor dead center-two car garage)...with 10' should be no problem.

I use ACL (American Custom Lifts), american made!

Aug_6_06_a_little_rain.JPG

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This thread has pictures and information you might like.
Hope this helps.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/608349-rotary-lift-revolution.html

One from a while back but has specs and pictures:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/575253-4-post-lift-revolution-brand.html
I went with Revolution/Rotary Lifts. Excellent product. Certified by ALI ( American Lift Institute) for safety. I like the way the tension cables are centered in the middle of the post caps to prevent any extra stress and tendency of the posts to bow inward when lifting the car. Most car dealers and Mavis Discount tires use this Co. Had it delivered and installed with a 2 year warranty for around $3800. I needed 10'1" of clearance according to the spec sheet but then again, it wasn't a concern for me b/c my ceiling is 14'.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9'2" is mine, and the lowest I have seen. I have a bendpak and a doublepark, stacks 2 vipers, solstice/viper in all combinations no problem.

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a lift with a 9'4" ceiling. I also have a commercial side mounted door opener with the tracks mounted within a few inches of the ceiling. I put my 2003 SRT10 (Top down) on top and a 2003 MB S600 on the bottom. I have roughly 4" of space betweenn the lift and the S600 and probably the same between the Viper and the ceiling. One important thing to remember is to make sure there is enough room for the safety locks to lock in place.

A 10' ceiling should be plenty of room. Good luck!!!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9 feet and no inches here, and you don't need a side door opener. You will need to angle the tracks up and the opener track also to match the outer tracks. The upper car will have to be backed in, the hood is so low you will have lot's of clearance for the door going up over the hood.
Buy a couple big mirrors and mount them on the back posts of the lift to facilitate backing in.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of this? Does it increase the width of the garage required?

9 feet and no inches here, and you don't need a side door opener. You will need to angle the tracks up and the opener track also to match the outer tracks. The upper car will have to be backed in, the hood is so low you will have lot's of clearance for the door going up over the hood.
Buy a couple big mirrors and mount them on the back posts of the lift to facilitate backing in.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2 post 9,000 lb. asemetrical lift last week for $1,425. The supplier had one in town so it didn't cost me anything for shipping. It required a 12' ceiling but they have a 'low profile' verson that only requires 9' ceilings. I needed a lift to work on vehicles and not store them. This works perfectly for my situation. I may add a stacker later.

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Back Yard Buddy and by far the best made that said you would need the height of both cars plus 10'' . Look into how all the cheaper lifts are made than look at a Back Yard Buddy by far a huge diffrence .

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the minimum garage height is for a 4 post car lift. I have heard that it is 9 or 10 feet but that sounds kind of low. I only have 10 feet and would realy like to turn my 2 car garage into a three car garage.

It depends...:dunno:

Do you plan to wrench your cars on this lift? If so how tall are you?

Viper on a Revolution lift and 10'3" ceiling provides a comfortable working height for me. ( 6"3")

There is enough room underneath to park a SUV.

The locking height is adjustable on the Revolution lift (don't know about other makes).
This permits you to customize the upper limit for your garage.

Liftmaster has just introduced an ecnomical side mounted door lift. (model 3800)...about $350 installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960