car lift for my garage?

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought a model "8S" lift at Greg Smith today. Picked it up with a 12 foot UHaul trailer to the back of my pickup - no issue with the UHaul gate down (and a steal at $30/day). It's 1700+ pounds, but I used my Kubota diesel lawn tractor to move it off the truck (I knew buying that lawn tactor would come in handy someday!) and around the garage on furniture dollies with no problems. It seems like a well-built lift, and it was nice to see it in the showroom prior to purchase. At this point, I'm not planning on bolting it down, but I'll write again after I get it all setup. I'm also having the garage pros come to my home on Monday to raise one of my doors with a Liftmaster Elite jackshaft opener. Hope it all goes well.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested in a group buy. I really like the Backyard Buddy lifts (Made in the USA)....I don't know if I really trust some of those other cheapo brands out there.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought a model "8S" lift at Greg Smith today. Picked it up with a 12 foot UHaul trailer to the back of my pickup - no issue with the UHaul gate down (and a steal at $30/day). It's 1700+ pounds, but I used my Kubota diesel lawn tractor to move it off the truck (I knew buying that lawn tactor would come in handy someday!) and around the garage on furniture dollies with no problems. It seems like a well-built lift, and it was nice to see it in the showroom prior to purchase. At this point, I'm not planning on bolting it down, but I'll write again after I get it all setup. I'm also having the garage pros come to my home on Monday to raise one of my doors with a Liftmaster Elite jackshaft opener. Hope it all goes well.

Please do post once you get it up and running. I was on the phone with them just this week considering getting one. Would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got involved in a group buy through VCA a couple years ago. We bought Complete brand lifts, you often see these advertised on e bay. We got $100 off the normal price. It was a good by and it's a decent lift. I think we needed ten people at the time. If anybody that needs one wants to take the lead they would be a place to start. The phone number is 888-736-5094.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will post once it's up and running...will definitely be this week. I have it mostly apart from the shipping rack (which is an impressive piece in itself). I got mine for $50 under web prices listed at Greg Smith. I'm not sure it that's because I picked it up, or if that's just the deal.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had my garage built 4 years ago I designed it for a lift. I was lucky because I have 10' walls and with the scissor trusses in the lift area I have about 15'. I bought a 2post lift from a friend and man is it nice. I am 5' 11" and can walk under my Viper with a hat on and almost clear all areas without bending. Best tool in the garage in MHO.

Ron

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to look at that. I've also been looking at telescoping doors.

.::.Teledoor.::. The Telescoping Door :: Home

You might not need telescoping doors - I was also concerned about door height (10ft ceilings), but had the local garage door installers come out and remove my center-mounted opener in one of my bays and repalce it with a jackshaft opener. They also raised the door height from 21" ceiling to bottom of rail to 8" ceiling to bottom rail. You can really see the difference.

I highly recommend a professional any garage door work - first, the doors are heavy with lots of pinch points, plus the guys did things that I did not realize were necessary such as adding different cable rollers, a new torsion spring, and an entirely new track (didn't just add a piece to the bottom). It was $450 well spent (minus cost of jackshaft opener which I got on eBay new for $310 shipped).

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully you won't have to change your garage door, the door just needs to clear the hood or the trunk, not the top of the car.

Look how the garage door goes over my hood

aaa_garage_lift_1.jpg

How wide is your garage?
How long is your garage?
How high from garage door to garage floor (when garage door is open) is it?

Thinking about doing something similar...for a RT/10 and GTS both stock ride height

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How wide is your garage?
How long is your garage?
How high from garage door to garage floor (when garage door is open) is it?

Thinking about doing something similar...for a RT/10 and GTS both stock ride height

Ryan, that lift is nearly identical to mine. If you want to come by and put your car(s) on the lift to measure, just let me know.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, that lift is nearly identical to mine. If you want to come by and put your car(s) on the lift to measure, just let me know.

Ya, I just don't know. I mean, unfortunately, inches matter in my small garage. Pettey, next time you are over at my place, let's take a look.

This weekend I am installing cabinets and possibly a sink in the garage, along with the work bench and taking down all the shelving in the garage...will clean it up real nice for you Pettey ;)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you thought about a single post lift? It leaves your garage "open".
garage_lift_001.jpg

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the photo quality and the mess...under construction.
3_car_garage_016.jpg

3_car_garage_003.jpg

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like that - pretty cool. Is it bolted to the floor?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like that - pretty cool. Is it bolted to the floor?

Yes, it is bolted to the floor. They are 6000# lifts made by BENDPAK. They also have removable center trays that go between the wheel rails. (no drips below). They are powered by either 110-220V.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my Greg Smith Equipment (Model 8S). It took me about 8 hours to unpack and assemble everything over the course of a couple days. Furniture dollies were a big help, plus that of a friend who assisted with laying the runways, which are the heaviest pieces. It appears to be a well-built and stable unit (better be with my babies on top and the bottom!).

"Plenty" :rolaugh: of room with the doors professionally raised and the addition of a jackshaft opener. My ceiling height is about 9' 8".

Here are some photos:

IMG_2785_1_.JPG

IMG_2788_1_.JPG

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, I hate you:)

What....:omg:;)

Hey 85..
You know you have an open invitation and you are welcome to come over any time you want. As a matter of fact, I am having a "car care day" in my garage Nov. 8th for STL club. "Johnny Bravo", "Goldcup" and all of the KC club are invited.

If interested, let me know. I can find out if any one needs a LI install.

Glad we found that wedding ring...

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO what lift would you guys reccomend. I am thinking about Back-Yard Buddy. What are some of the others out there?

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Greg Smith Equipment has been good for me - works 100%, good price, and fits my needs exactly. I don't know what the backyard Buddy goes for, but the GS is under $2K. I looked at more expensive models, but about the only upside they offer is powder coating, at a cost of $3k-$4k more for what I saw. My lift goes up and down maybe 25 times a year - for my money the GS lift is a great choice.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a rotary lift. Higher price than some of these mentioned here. I looked at the dealerships around my house & ford had all rotary, lexus, infinity,,, Lift was about 3K .
Installed for $ 500.00 best 500 i ever spen

4126DSC00536.JPG

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So tough to make a decision with all that is out there. I was set on a Backyard Buddy but the price is kinda steep. However I really like the way the lift is built. American made. Looks like good quality construction. From what i've seen in thier video I would be afraid to get anything else. While I know its THEIR video, they seem pretty convincing. So torn... :(

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4126DSC00510.JPG

I did alot of research before I bought mine, go look at the car dealerships around your house & see what brand they use. We got a group buy going a few yrs ago & got a good price & free shipping.

I had to have the rails on my garage doors raised so that they would clear the top car when open & was able to use the same openers.

You can go to this site & get height of lift bottom ramp & add height of cars to see if it clears. I had to back the vet in to clear the opener. My garage is 10' tall.

I have also seen guys that cut out a section of the ceiling above the car so that part of the cars roof goes up into the ceiling.

Make sure the lift is ALI certified Automotive Lift Institute: Auto Lift, Vehicle and Garage Car Lifts

Check out this link http://www.rotarylift.com/uploadedFiles/Support/liftBuyersGuide_2007.08_stock.pdf

Hope this helps

Last edited:

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have posted on here before BUT I don't like the Backyard Buddy because in Ohio you pay sales tax and the biggest problem I have with it is the cables are on the outside of the topcaps and pulls down on the inside and I feel can eventually cause the lift to bend inwards UNLESS you bolt to the floor BUT I like the flexibility to move mine in my garage unbolted, PLUS the Buddy glides on the exterior of the posts, wears and affects the looks of the post paint PLUS I don't want to be around any lift that has the cables / pulleys and all latching mechanisms exposed that can "catch a shirt sleeve or shirt tail" or cleaning rag or whatever it will "bite"...I feel that you should look at the features, then shop for best price, and if any doubt find someone competent to install !! Even give some thought to how the power unit is attached to the post and if you want it to the side or in front ?? The lift has to be installed perfectly so that the locks work 100%, then see about getting other stuff thrown in like drip trays and several of the cross trays to do any jacking with PLUS with a Viper or any exotic car, the aluminum longer ramps are invaluable....a lift is usually a once in a life time purchase and you will realize after install IF you thought only with your wallet or didn't look at the features of each !! My $.02...good luck !

Viper rolls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Rotary 4 post - it's commercial grade, works like a charm. 2 drip trays and 2 cross trays for jacks and jack stands. I've not used jacks on this yet for any wheel work although I plan to. Pretty much decided not to use bottle jacks, I'm considering adding an air compressor and buying a few air jacks.

Had to do a high lift conversion to the garage door. Was able to re-purpose my garage door (screw type) opener by mounting one end to the floor next to the door and making a bracket to connect the two.

Fortunately I have 12 foot ceiling so I can have the Viper up and another car below.

Battery_Tender_Set_Up.JPG

Car_Lift.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave