car lift for my garage?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was able to re-purpose my garage door (screw type) opener by mounting one end to the floor next to the door and making a bracket to connect the two.

That is a very unique and clever solution that I have not heard of before !! I assume that you must have just a single stall garage door that allows it to work by just pulling up on one side, rather than the center. Does it seem to work pretty well?

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for their input. I still have a little time to decide what I want to do. Thanks again!!!!

Viper rolls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't take credit for it, it is pretty clever.

I have a 2 car garage with 2 doors.

It works great - I was pretty amazed actually. Smooth running up and down.

That is a very unique and clever solution that I have not heard of before !! I assume that you must have just a single stall garage door that allows it to work by just pulling up on one side, rather than the center. Does it seem to work pretty well?

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great post. I'm looking to add onto my garage at this moment. Since I bought the Viper I'm now down 2 car spaces. Already have one car pimped out in another garage.
Will keep following this post & hopefully adding to it.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have posted on here before BUT I don't like the Backyard Buddy because in Ohio you pay sales tax and the biggest problem I have with it is the cables are on the outside of the topcaps and pulls down on the inside and I feel can eventually cause the lift to bend inwards UNLESS you bolt to the floor BUT I like the flexibility to move mine in my garage unbolted, PLUS the Buddy glides on the exterior of the posts, wears and affects the looks of the post paint PLUS I don't want to be around any lift that has the cables / pulleys and all latching mechanisms exposed that can "catch a shirt sleeve or shirt tail" or cleaning rag or whatever it will "bite"...I feel that you should look at the features, then shop for best price, and if any doubt find someone competent to install !! Even give some thought to how the power unit is attached to the post and if you want it to the side or in front ?? The lift has to be installed perfectly so that the locks work 100%, then see about getting other stuff thrown in like drip trays and several of the cross trays to do any jacking with PLUS with a Viper or any exotic car, the aluminum longer ramps are invaluable....a lift is usually a once in a life time purchase and you will realize after install IF you thought only with your wallet or didn't look at the features of each !! My $.02...good luck !

Ridiculous.

You will never bend a post on a BYB lift. The posts are powercoated not painted. There are self lubricating nylon protectors between the posts and the sleeve. I've probably cycled my lifts 1000 times, there is no wear on the posts. The lock pawls are captured within the sleeves when locked, operating the lift requires 2 hands on the controls.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading on Greg smith's site that a 2 post is better for working on cars. Has anyone had any problems with a four post lift doing anything like changing the tranny?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a 4 post will work 4 changing a tranny,but a 2 post u have a little more cumfort to operate.

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you guys had to do it all over again, say starting brand new with a garage what height would you do? I'm designing an addition to my current garage so I can add a lift.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading on Greg smith's site that a 2 post is better for working on cars. Has anyone had any problems with a four post lift doing anything like changing the tranny?

I'm not sure I see any advantage to a 2-post lift when removing a transmission.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 pole lifts require no modifications to the garage floor, 2 poles do. Most 4 poles dont need to be bolted down, 2 poles do and they require more than the standard 4 inch concrete thickness most garage floors have. So your cutting your floor out, putting in thicker concrete etc., The single pole lifts shown look awesome ...but how much do those cost and what was required to do to the concrete floor?

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I went with the Backyard Buddy. I think I will be really happy with the purchase. Its gonna be about eight weeks or so befor its installed but thats o.k. with me. Gives me time to retrack the garage door.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see any advantage to a 2-post lift when removing a transmission.

isnt a 4 post lift a drive on?if this is what ur talking about,change a tranny on a 4 post,then a 2 post,u will see:)

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got my lift yesterday. Here are the pics...

CIMG06381.JPG

SO GLAD I GOT THE DOOR RAISED
CIMG0639.JPG

CIMG06401.JPG

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I had it done for me. Glad I did too. It probably would have taken me the whole weekend to do it myself. They showed up, put it together, and had it working in about an hour and a half

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ceiling height is about 10 ft. So this worked out great. I did have to get the garage door raised. It's about 8 inches from the ceiling now.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So is anyone c0-0rdinating the back yard Buddy lift group buy? I am looking to get one myself sooner or later. I did a group by in the past before and we did about 30 lifts I think or more. Looking back we should have gotten more than $100 off the lifts. If we do another group buy it will need to be a little more aggressive in the discounts they give.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is anyone c0-0rdinating the back yard Buddy lift group buy? I am looking to get one myself sooner or later. I did a group by in the past before and we did about 30 lifts I think or more. Looking back we should have gotten more than $100 off the lifts. If we do another group buy it will need to be a little more aggressive in the discounts they give.

i'm definitely a probably :D on a good group buy (depends on timing of the buy) :2tu:

:eater:

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[Thanks!! I love the the thing. I have a three car garage now. QUOTE=QUICKSRT10/SRT8;2708804]looks good bob[/QUOTE]

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got my lift yesterday. Here are the pics...

CIMG06381.JPG

SO GLAD I GOT THE DOOR RAISED
CIMG0639.JPG

CIMG06401.JPG

In your pictures, how high is it under the top car? Can you walk under it, or should I say can someone around 5'10" walk under it? My garage is 9'10" in the very front and 10' even at the entrance. So, basically I have a garage that is slightly less than 10'. If I were to buy one I would like to know if I could put the car on it and walk under it (of course ducking at the side rails) and stand easily. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Georgethedog...I have to duck down a little bit and I an 5'6". However, that is with the gagage door open and the lift in the ninth of ten locking positions on the lift. If I were to close the garage door (which I had to get raised to accomadate the top car) and the lift in the tenth (highest) locking position I would be able to walk under the car no problem. On this particular model with the lift in the tenth locking position you have 63" of room from the ground to the bottom of the ramps. Hope this helps!!!
In your pictures, how high is it under the top car? Can you walk under it, or should I say can someone around 5'10" walk under it? My garage is 9'10" in the very front and 10' even at the entrance. So, basically I have a garage that is slightly less than 10'. If I were to buy one I would like to know if I could put the car on it and walk under it (of course ducking at the side rails) and stand easily. Thanks.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am getting older BUT if I remember the BYB lifts instruct the owner to run them up and down from time to time to keep the posts aligned, with the cables pulling down on the inside corner of the posts, you can actually start to pull the posts out of alignment then you need to run the lift all the way down to get the posts straight again ! Not trying to bash only the BYB, I personally don't like the EXPOSED collars that go up and down the OUTSIDES of the posts, very easy to catch something or a piece of clothing. Someone else wrote in about a 2 poster type lift, you have to be very careful, because most residential garage floors are not poured thick enough concrete to hold the two posts up straight and NOT bending into the middle when you put a car or small truck on them.....a lot of house garage floors are poured about 3 inches and I think you need at least 5 - 6 inches to hold the anchor bolts firmly in the slab....again, my $.02, you can take it or leave it...BUT my experience is owning numerous lifts from several manufacturers....good luck !

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good read.

I am building a new custom home right now and we went with 12 foot ceilings, and pretty sure that I am going with a BendPak 2 post lift. I do a lot of wrenching and detailing so it will be better suited for my use I think.

Did any of you do anything special for your slab/ floor for a two poster? I spoke with bendpak, and my builder and it sounds like my standard slab is going to be fine, just wondering if anyone has run into any problems?

Thanks great thread.

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing they mentioned that I MIGHT have to do is readjust the cables if all the locks don't engauge at the same time. However the gentleman who put my lift together (does them all the time) got them as close to engauging all at the same time as possible. Also, I don't think you are bashing BYB at all. You just don't happen to like the design of their particular lift. For me personally, this design is THE REASON I went with their lift. Just whatever lift you choose (i'm talkting to Georgethedaog and assuming he dosen't have a lift yet), make sure you are happy with it.The only thing I will add to that is I believe you will get what you pay for when it comes to these things.
Maybe I am getting older BUT if I remember the BYB lifts instruct the owner to run them up and down from time to time to keep the posts aligned, with the cables pulling down on the inside corner of the posts, you can actually start to pull the posts out of alignment then you need to run the lift all the way down to get the posts straight again ! Not trying to bash only the BYB, I personally don't like the EXPOSED collars that go up and down the OUTSIDES of the posts, very easy to catch something or a piece of clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh