Car trouble, stuck on road

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm driving on the highway in 5th when I go up an off ramp to get to another highway and I feel the car stutter some, like it lose power for a sec. I cont driving and it does it again but worst. I shift to 4th and same thing. It keeps doing this until it dies out. I try to start it back up but it seems like there isntenough juice. So I wait 10 minutes and it cranks up. I get about 3 miles down the road and same thing. I do this same process three more times. Battery shows it's charged well. If I stop and depress the clutch it will stay alive for maybe 30 seconds. Car is a modded Paxton 00 with external furl system.
There is a funny noise coming from where it seems like under the parking brake lever/shifter area every time this happens. I just got this car Thursday so I really pissed at the moment.
I m wondering if it's the alternator. If I encounter an upwards hill, the rpms slowly decrease no matter how much gas I give it.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just texted the previous owner and he said the same thing as it happen to him before.
Does anyone know the price to clean or replace the filter. The fuel pump is an aeromotive1000. Can someone explain this clogged filter to me; is it not letting any fuel pass when the car starts to stutter.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what fuel filter I need. Is it aeromotive specific or can I buy any filter. Also is there a way to isolate the problem to the fuel filter or pump.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was told the aeromotive fuel filter shouldn't be used for a s/c application. call doug levin and ask him. he used to use a lot of them in years past. he knows a lot about the issues with them. tell him i sent ya.

crank or cam sensor maybe ?

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan at dc performance who installed the system thinks it's the fuel pump because of the sound it's making when it's about to die. Now I gotta find a tow truck that car tow the car as it's lower then stock.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most tow trucks can do it, just make sure they have a lot of lumber with them and tell them in advance what kinda car it is...

trust me, ive been towed too many times to tell.....lol

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought car has to be put on a flat bed, no tow truck allowed. also, The have to pull it up on the truck a certain way to avoid damage.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meant flatbed also. I was told to say with aeromotive a1000. In the future I'm gonna look into an intank system.
Glad I didn't drive up to Philly from Washington dc as planned and stayed somewhat locate (60miles out).

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me know what pump and filter you end up using. I want to replace mine. How many miles are on your car?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of noise was it making when it died? Did it sound like the pump was staining? If so two other things come to mind.

One a heat problem (aka vapor lock). The fuel in the tank may be getting too hot. When it is sucked by the external pump out of the tank it immediately vaporizes causing the pump to strain. Liquids vaporize at lower temps when there is a pressure drop. Kind of the opposite to the effect of a radiator cap which increases the pressure in the radiator and hence increases the boiling point of the fluid in it. Take the cap off when hot and the sudden drop in pressure in the radiator causes the fluid to immediately boil out. Same thing with fuel, the fuel in the tank may have picked up too much heat during its return to the tank from either the engine compartment or the exhaust. As soon as it leaves the tank under suction from the pump it sees a drop in pressure and vaporizes. Pumps inside the tank are pushing fuel and don't see this type of problem generally.

Second, inadequate venting in the tank. As you use fuel and the tank's level drops the resulting volume must be replaced with air. If it isn't a vacuum builds up in the tank which resists the sucking action of your external pump. Pump starts to strain and sooner or later is unable to overcome the vacuum in the tank. Probably not as likely on a Viper but I've seen it on other cars. If you remove gas cap and push flap down do you hear a rush of air? If so this could be the problem.

Wedge500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One a heat problem (aka vapor lock). The fuel in the tank may be getting too hot. When it is sucked by the external pump out of the tank it immediately vaporizes causing the pump to strain. Liquids vaporize at lower temps when there is a pressure drop. Kind of the opposite to the effect of a radiator cap which increases the pressure in the radiator and hence increases the boiling point of the fluid in it. Take the cap off when hot and the sudden drop in pressure in the radiator causes the fluid to immediately boil out. Same thing with fuel, the fuel in the tank may have picked up too much heat during its return to the tank from either the engine compartment or the exhaust. As soon as it leaves the tank under suction from the pump it sees a drop in pressure and vaporizes. Pumps inside the tank are pushing fuel and don't see this type of problem generally.

A good friend had this very problem with an Aeromotive pump on his 65 Mustang. The car had a fuel injected 302 with a paxton. We were on the 2008 Hot Rod Power Tour and the car would randomly loose fuel pressure as the fuel system would build heat and the vapor lock. We would then have to let the car sit for about 10 minutes and it would have fuel pressure again.

These pumps work great for racing applications but as you cruise down the road the they will build heat as the fuel recirculates through the lines. Our quick fix was to re-fuel every 100 miles, thus reducing the overall fuel temperature. It worked for the trip but he has since changed his setup and has had no more issues.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good friend had this very problem with an Aeromotive pump on his 65 Mustang. The car had a fuel injected 302 with a paxton. We were on the 2008 Hot Rod Power Tour and the car would randomly loose fuel pressure as the fuel system would build heat and the vapor lock. We would then have to let the car sit for about 10 minutes and it would have fuel pressure again.

These pumps work great for racing applications but as you cruise down the road the they will build heat as the fuel recirculates through the lines. Our quick fix was to re-fuel every 100 miles, thus reducing the overall fuel temperature. It worked for the trip but he has since changed his setup and has had no more issues.

Sounds just let what was happening to me. I forgot to mention that when this started happening I have very little gas in my tank (less then 1/4th going by the gauge). Any other time I try to kee at least a 1/2 tank in it.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****ing fuel pump again. Had a new one installed about a month and a half ago.
Went for a cruise today since it was 70. Driving for an hour and thirty or so and fuel started making that damn sound and next was the car cutting off. Getting intank pumps installed over the winter but was trying to get a little more driving out of it before then.
Just had to vent.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A blonde tells the mechanic her car wont run. So the mechanic spends a few minutes working on it, then goes to the waiting room and tells the blonde "It runs now. Just **** in the fuel line."

The blonde replies, "How often do I gotta do that?!"