Carbon fiber rocker panels!

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't the CF's finish turn yellowish after prolonged exposure to heat from the exhaust? Yes, I'm interested as my car is black and this would go good with the CF wing.

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Mike recently. A replacement trunk is in the works...

Anybody know what the factory trunk weighs?:dunno:I know its heavy and might almost weigh more than the hood:(But then again we might need the weight for traction purposes.

These weight savings and a few others would help us reach the zo6's weight and then things would be a little different.:D

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike is going to have all exterior body panels in CF. I am waiting for CF interior parts now. I 'll try to get him on here...

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A completely carbon fiber Viper?! Coooooool!
The only other car I have seen like that is the Koenigsegg CXX, and that costs around half a million dollars

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A completely carbon fiber Viper?! Coooooool!
The only other car I have seen like that is the Koenigsegg CXX, and that costs around half a million dollars

The close up looks cool... All carbon fiber

IMG_019711.jpg

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Mike. He is going to try and get some photos together.

Hey Nader... Got your Moton fill kit from XVIPERS. Works great. Everything you could need to fill, check or adjust Motons in one little suitcase.
Thanks.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you like it. I use it all the time...

Now I need to figure out what next to buy from Mike. I have had my eye on the quaiffe as well as some of these carbon fiber parts.

Decisions Decisions.

Talked to Mike. He is going to try and get some photos together.

Hey Nader... Got your Moton fill kit from XVIPERS. Works great. Everything you could need to fill, check or adjust Motons in one little suitcase.
Thanks.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Says $3k for a passenger side carbon fiber panel? I'd want both for that price.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you like it. I use it all the time...

Now I need to figure out what next to buy from Mike. I have had my eye on the quaiffe as well as some of these carbon fiber parts.

Decisions Decisions.

You definitely won't regret the Quaiffe. He is getting an order together right now. I was there when a whole pallett of them arrived.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can fry an egg on the stock aluminum panels.

What temperature will the resin in the carbon fiber burn?

Hoods, fenders, doors, sure; rocker panels - not worth the risk of fire to me....

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can fry an egg on the stock aluminum panels.

What temperature will the resin in the carbon fiber burn?

Hoods, fenders, doors, sure; rocker panels - not worth the risk of fire to me....

There are several companies (autoform, AP engineering etc.) that make aftermarket fiberglass side sills. They are also cured with a somewhat similar resin. No problems there. CF was first dev. for the aerospace program. They have heat tolerant resins for CF.

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carbon fiber sheets are bonded with a thermoset resin which cannot melt and is very resistant to heat. They even sell exhaust systems for street bikes and such that are made of carbon fiber.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several companies (autoform, AP engineering etc.) that make aftermarket fiberglass side sills. They are also cured with a somewhat similar resin. No problems there. CF was first dev. for the aerospace program. They have heat tolerant resins for CF.

I've burned the replacement fiberglass side sill on my GEN2...twice. Once with high flow cats then a second time with just a muffler.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've burned the replacement fiberglass side sill on my GEN2...twice. Once with high flow cats then a second time with just a muffler.

Not knowing what type of exhaust, who did the install etc., anything is possible...

Like CHINOOK47 said, there are heat tolerant resins.

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chinook, are ya an old Army pilot? Where are ya located?

Not a pilot just work on building new ones for the army, from the philly area.:usa:

Its amazing how far carbon fiber has come in a short time. Right now im down in SC working on an all carbon composite airliner. If it works good at 35k feet im sure it will be ok for a rocker panel :2tu:

They look awesome by the way, would love to see a carbon fiber viper!

michaelnouri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fiberglass rockers are a real bad idea, actually insane.
performance cars are equipped with real carbon epoxy.
every body panel for the srt will be ready soon.
we put a duct in on the rockers on the bottom, you can touch them at anytime, if cats are gone or random techs are installed, they don't even get hot. carbon pull heat fast.
i send some of the early photos up in a minute.
thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang