Carfax

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on the quality of a Carfax report? I am looking at buying a Gen 2 that I located, and was curious if the report is worth the $35?

Thanks in advance,
Lance

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The seller who has nothing to hide should provide it.

I think this club sells them to Members like you at a discount.

That said, they are a black-hole of perceived value vs real value.

- IF they report any information, you can count on that reported info.

- But a category of "No Info" or "None reported" means NOTHING. It does NOT mean there was no problem....it only means they have no REPORT of a Problem. Only a fraction of major damages are reported. And not anywhere near all totals. Some states = ZERO.

I have bought and sold several totalled cars, only to have them resurface later as CLEAN C-FAX and C-Fax Warranty Available. If you SEARCH this topic, one guy asked me about my past ownership....I had bought it as a theft-recovery-total, and Carfax showed it CLEAN. The guy was happy to be buying a past JonB Viper...I ruined his day ! Or saved it?

Years ago, I sold CHEAP, a once-totalled Fla Gen 1 car that was KY rebuilt, to a Member here in OR. He insisted I sell it to him! I actually bought it for parts, but it was here, and he wanted a spare for the summer. Car would NOT track straight at 100mph +, I track-tested it as SCARY under braking. He promised to sell it back, '1st rights to buy' if he sold it within 1 year. Instead, he put in in club classifieds a few mos. later, without telling me. Or mentioing the damage!!!! "Clean carfax" was a selling point! The club suspended him a while, 30 days I think, should have been longer in my opinion.

NO INFO = NO INFO

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its worth $35 but thats it. its a place to start when buying a vehicle. carfax is a joke though. its not nearly accurate enough to put much faith in.

i know of a truck that was nearly totaled, it was fixed and paid by insurance. as of last year it was not reported and the accident was in ~ 06

there are a lot of good resources here on this site. use them.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also run the VIN through Google search. You can usually find some sales history there. There was one car I found damage pics that way.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered one for a car that I'm looking at for my cousin's boy. I hope it doesn't have to be a Viper. Great deal. Thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4