Cat & Muffler Delete

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys

I am definitly going to yank my cats. I currently have a 3" system consisting of Belanger headers, R/T High Flow Cats, and Corsa Track Exhaust. I'm thinking about pulling the corsa as well with the Cats and just run 3" pipes all the way back. Anyone here done this on an 06 coupe, and if so what was the cabin sound like? I know from the outside it will be loud as hell, especially under WOT so please don't point out the obvious.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll go with the premise that a Viper is a Viper here, as I'm the Gen 2 type.

I had:

- OE headers & cats
- Corsa cat-back w/ rear muffler delete

Cabin noise not too bad, even with the windows down. Of course this is a rear exhaust car.

New setup:

- Belanger headers
- R/T ceramic HF cats, Belanger mufflers
- Side exhaust conversion

I also stripped the entire seating area and Dynamatted it.

Noise volume went up noticeably, windows up. Carrying on a conversation requires you to raise your voice now inside the car.

Windows down, WOT rings your ears.

So my 0.02 is, based on my mods WITH cats, is that your noise W/O cats will go beyond what is fun after a while. Maybe the Gen 3 is different that way, but a car is a car is some respects.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll go with the premise that a Viper is a Viper here, as I'm the Gen 2 type.

I had:

- OE headers & cats
- Corsa cat-back w/ rear muffler delete

Cabin noise not too bad, even with the windows down. Of course this is a rear exhaust car.

New setup:

- Belanger headers
- R/T ceramic HF cats, Belanger mufflers
- Side exhaust conversion

I also stripped the entire seating area and Dynamatted it.

Noise volume went up noticeably, windows up. Carrying on a conversation requires you to raise your voice now inside the car.

Windows down, WOT rings your ears.

So my 0.02 is, based on my mods WITH cats, is that your noise W/O cats will go beyond what is fun after a while. Maybe the Gen 3 is different that way, but a car is a car is some respects.

So to summarize what you said, the car will be stupid loud w/o cats, and totally unbearable w/0 mufflers to. I thinks I'm going with straight pipes then. :D

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just kidding, then I should probably start with a Cat delete and see if I can stand the noise.

Reaction score
If you delete all this stuff you will se a bump in power top and very bottom but we have seen a 40# loss through the midrange where you probably drive the most. Inside the cabin will be horrible if you drive more than 1/2 hour. But that is just my observations you know MHO

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just kidding, then I should probably start with a Cat delete and see if I can stand the noise.

I think some of the variable in this is what you use the car for. I drive mine to work sometimes, and short road trips of a couple hours occasionally. Showing up with a headache like you just left a Judas Priest concert sounds like fun maybe once.

But if your car is mainly for short Friday night kick your ass sport kind of runs, well then yeah, go for it.

I think the system I have hits a good balance of noise and practicality. Good for dates on Friday night and the drive-in car meets on Sat night.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you delete all this stuff you will se a bump in power top and very bottom but we have seen a 40# loss through the midrange where you probably drive the most. Inside the cabin will be horrible if you drive more than 1/2 hour. But that is just my observations you know MHO

Mark - I am running a Paxton as well, these numbers you quote, are these with just a cat delete or going to straight pipes?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love the sound of mine without cats now. it has roe mufflers in the sills and thats it with bellangers up front.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love the sound of mine without cats now. it has roe mufflers in the sills and thats it with bellangers up front.

Plum - I have simms in now, but from what I have read here I can expect to throw codes after deleteing the primaries even with simms and will need to put the secondary 02's back in and strap em to the frame rail or something to let them sniff free air. Whats your experience with this? I am starting reassembly today and don't like rework. Oh ya I just went with a cat delete for now so it will be belangers up front and then the corsa and thats it.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fast too,

how is the sound? Do you have a smell / burning sensation in your eyes? Please post dyno numbers before and after!!!!

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can read my signature to see my setup. I think I'm running Magnaflow mufflers. I love the sound. If I could just get my check engine light to stay off I would be 100% happy. I love the way the appearance of Vipers draw attention from spectators and think the sound should be just a appealing and vicious.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast too,

how is the sound? Do you have a smell / burning sensation in your eyes? Please post dyno numbers before and after!!!!

PTEAM - Nope, no smell or burning eyes. The car sounds awesome and is knocking extra pans off shelves we have in the garage when I first started it. The gains are noticeable. I liken this mod to have given my car an enema. I did throw code P0174 yesterday which is system too lean bank 2. I cleared it but suspect it will probably come back Reading Texassnakes post he probably has the same code or perhaps for bank 1 instead of 2. Anyway I believe the fix will be to remove the simms and wire back in the old secondary 02 sensors I removed and strap them to the frame rail or other convenient location. My dydno before this was 694rwhp and 640rwtq. I have also added a smaller pulley to the paxton since that dyno run. When the inferno heat and humidity break I will throw it on the dyno again and see where it is. I would think I am well north of 700rwhp though. The car defintly feels stronger than when it did at that last dyno with these latest mods.

Reaction score
PTEAM - Nope, no smell or burning eyes. The car sounds awesome and is knocking extra pans off shelves we have in the garage when I first started it. The gains are noticeable. I liken this mod to have given my car an enema. I did throw code P0174 yesterday which is system too lean bank 2. I cleared it but suspect it will probably come back Reading Texassnakes post he probably has the same code or perhaps for bank 1 instead of 2. Anyway I believe the fix will be to remove the simms and wire back in the old secondary 02 sensors I removed and strap them to the frame rail or other convenient location. My dydno before this was 694rwhp and 640rwtq. I have also added a smaller pulley to the paxton since that dyno run. When the inferno heat and humidity break I will throw it on the dyno again and see where it is. I would think I am well north of 700rwhp though. The car defintly feels stronger than when it did at that last dyno with these latest mods.

So how are you going to deal with the lean condition? with all these gone AND a smaller pulley you could be VERY lean. I would not be leaning on it at all till you find out where you are at. It will only take a second of that kind of heat and detonation to cost you a bundle.

Take care,

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how are you going to deal with the lean condition? with all these gone AND a smaller pulley you could be VERY lean. I would not be leaning on it at all till you find out where you are at. It will only take a second of that kind of heat and detonation to cost you a bundle.

Take care,

I have an A/F gauge in the car and my A/F is no more than 11.5 under boost

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have a fuel system upgrade. Consists of an extra Walboro 307 in tank pump and seimens 65# shortie injectors. The wide band is just downstream (inches) of the y pipe from the belanger headers on the mid pipe. I free air calibrated it to while I had the mid pipes out to remove the cat's.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....some have taken the secondary 02's out of the exhaust flow, tied them up near the transmission and then plugged the 02 ****. This works for sure.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....some have taken the secondary 02's out of the exhaust flow, tied them up near the transmission and then plugged the 02 ****. This works for sure.

Thanks but this doesn't answer my question. I have no bungs for the secondary cats anymore and am running simms. In this config after now deleteing the primary cats (R/T 3" High Flows) I threw code P0174 System to Lean bank 2. My question is does removing the simms and installing the sensors wrapped to something convenient eliminate that code from reappearing, or do I need to go fo an immediate tune? A/F on the gauge looks good, 11:5 under boost. I am thinking short term or long term fuel trims are off now under closed loop which is throwing the code. :dunno: The CEL came on while cruising closed loop at about 75 mph in fourth and an A/F on the gauge of 14 to 15.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get rid of the sims, put the sensors back in and tie them up somewhere. clear the codes and go. I zip tied mine to the transmission.

jimsmyth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm running Billy boat headers and exhaust with no cats. The sound is great and I installed the 02 override sensor to take care of the lean condition. Got a friend with no cats or mufflers and it seems loudest at idle but not too bad under driving conditions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte