Cat Question......

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bear with me, I'm not a gearhead........

I know that there are 2 cats on each side of the Gen III's, but where are they located? Are they both in front of the muffler? Where are the O2 sensors located? Can I remove one set of cats without reqiuring O2 simulators? If I install high flow cats, will I need O2 sims?

I presently have a Corsa Track exhaust and I like the sound, but I'd like to reduce the heat too. Sound is not an issue.

Thanks....

Don

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The secondary cat is after the secondary 02. The secondary cat is just in front of the muffler, in the side sill. Pull it out, it wont have any ill effects.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you get rid of all four stock cats and use 2 hi flow cats, you wont have any check engine lights and the hi flow cats will have a built in placement for 02 sensors. And you will notice less heat in cockpit.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are in my neighborhood, same club anyway. The first cat is just in front of the pedals on the engine side of the firewall, the second cat is under the door sill. With Corsa the second set of cats should already be gone. The side cats are the ones that produce the in cabin heat. The down stream O2 sensor is just after the first cat in front of the pedals and stays in place with the Corsa. You should have no problems with the sensors. Only when you remove all the cats will you have issues with the second O2 sensors. I have put a cat-less system in a GTS and had no O2 issue at all. However on my SRT I was not so lucky. The Corsa should have taken most of the heat away already. It sounds like you bought the car with the Corsa already installed. I would leave the car just like it is.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To save on fabrication costs I simply gutted the secondary cats. The secondaries are a metal substrate and take a bit of banging to get the material out, but it worked well to get sills cooler. I was still able to retain the nicely made mandrel bent tube.

What I used to remove the guts of the cat was a 2 lb hammer and old lug wrench the the bent end cut off, and a long pair of needle nosed pliers to pull out the "guts". It took abot 30 mins per side.

I also purchased 2 sets of stock cats. 1 set I kept complete so I had original parts in the event I ever sell the car. The other set I completely gutted to use with my MOPAR controller and the cam setup. Looking under the car everything looks stock.

I paid less than 50.00 for each set of cats from folks looking to unload stock stuff after installing aftermarket exhaust.

I am currently using the MOPAR Cat back street exhaust and I love it.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What benefit did you recieve when you gutted the 2nd cat? More power, more sound?

Thanks,

Flash

To save on fabrication costs I simply gutted the secondary cats. The secondaries are a metal substrate and take a bit of banging to get the material out, but it worked well to get sills cooler. I was still able to retain the nicely made mandrel bent tube.

What I used to remove the guts of the cat was a 2 lb hammer and old lug wrench the the bent end cut off, and a long pair of needle nosed pliers to pull out the "guts". It took abot 30 mins per side.

I also purchased 2 sets of stock cats. 1 set I kept complete so I had original parts in the event I ever sell the car. The other set I completely gutted to use with my MOPAR controller and the cam setup. Looking under the car everything looks stock.

I paid less than 50.00 for each set of cats from folks looking to unload stock stuff after installing aftermarket exhaust.

I am currently using the MOPAR Cat back street exhaust and I love it.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets say you take both mufflers and all four cats out to go the straight-pipe route. What is needed to keep from having the check engine light come on?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More sound? No. A nicer sound? Yes, definitely. More HP probably, but I cannot speak to what extent as I dont have access to a dyno.

And last but not least, a huge improvement in sill and cockpit temps.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would a car pass the California Smog test with the secondary cats gutted? How, exactly do you gut em?

Thanks,

Flash

It will pass with only the primary cats...it still runs "VERY" clean.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
How do you guys do the inspection in California?

When we had it here in FL, all my previous cars passed without cats (higher readings but within acceptable range) except the RT/10!!!

When I got to the inspection lane and turned in my paper, I happened to forget a $50 inside the fold... Magically my car passed with flying colors :)

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From how clean it ran with just the primary cats in place, I'm not suprised it passed without them at all.

$50.00 doesn't do much over here ;) more like 200-300

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper