Cats and Muffler Delete + S&B Filters and RoeTubes

SilverViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok! I've made a lot of research on the board (I know perfectly that there is a search engine) but I would like to get your thoughts on planned mods for a 1997 GTS which is bone stock at this time.

My questions aimed more at the cats and muffler delete since I know that the filters and tubes is a "no-brainer" mod. My understanding of what I've read on this board is that I just have to replace the OEM muffler with an X-pipe (which can be made by any good muffler shop). Regarding the cats, my understanding is that I have just to replace them with pipes and this easy work can also be done by any muffler shop with competent employees.

What are the downsides of these planned mods?
What are your recommendations?
Any other comments?

Thanks!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Muffler delete is a great mod - cheaper than a cat back and sounds much better than stock.

Tone is a touch deeper and a bit louder - it's not night and day...I was expecting a big change and I'd say, if stock is 100%, muffler delete sounds like 130%.

As a bonus, you get a ton less black crap on the rear bumper - especially bad if you have white stripes.

OP
OP
S

SilverViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to add also: Hawks brake pads (or EBC Greenstuff); Koni shocks and Eibach springs.

Finally, I would like to replace my Pilot Sport with competition tires DOT legal like the Kumhos V700 Heat Cycled.

Any other comments?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BE CAREFUL with muffler shops. I know you mentioned 'competent' but make sure they have some Viper experience. My 2002 GTS rear bumper was ruined by a muffler shop. I thought I got a good deal on the work, but I ended up paying for it when the the new tips were too close to the paint on the rear cover. They also cut the heat shield and some did some other unbelievables. I rarely have my cars more than a year and almost never put them on a lift to look at the underside. They put a flap around the tips to "keep dirt from getting on the back". It covered the crappy work is what it really did. I guess because it sounded so awesome, I didn't really think about how they did it. That being said, remove the resonators and replace those with straight pipe. That's where the real volume comes from! What nexus6 said above is correct, just removing the muffler alone really doesn't change the volume much.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to add also: Hawks brake pads (or EBC Greenstuff); Koni shocks and Eibach springs.

You already have Koni shocks from the factory, and they are adjustable...Eibachs are gonna kill that 60' time...

OP
OP
S

SilverViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
BE CAREFUL with muffler shops. I know you mentioned 'competent' but make sure they have some Viper experience. My 2002 GTS rear bumper was ruined by a muffler shop. I thought I got a good deal on the work, but I ended up paying for it when the the new tips were too close to the paint on the rear cover. They also cut the heat shield and some did some other unbelievables. I rarely have my cars more than a year and almost never put them on a lift to look at the underside. They put a flap around the tips to "keep dirt from getting on the back". It covered the crappy work is what it really did. I guess because it sounded so awesome, I didn't really think about how they did it. That being said, remove the resonators and replace those with straight pipe. That's where the real volume comes from! What nexus6 said above is correct, just removing the muffler alone really doesn't change the volume much.

[/QUOTE]

Ok! So I have to remove the muffler AND the resonators? And I will have to check if the new tips are too close to the paint?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eventually you'll buy a cat back system (best way to go).
I went through all the same things your thinking.
Finally just broke down and cut a check for the B&amp;B cat back instead of all the screwing around. A $100 here and then another $100 there, it adds up not mention all the worries about muf shops. In the long run, I know I made the best decission. I think you would be happier too, better sound, better product no worries! The rear facia costs more than a cat system I'm sure.
If you have any questions call my cell 204-371-5111.
Tracy

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would like to add also:..... Koni shocks and Eibach springs.

You already have rebound-adjustable Koni's installed. (so we just saved you a lot of $$ there !...oops was that too curt?)

Joel from UK recenly posted a detailed how-to on adjusting Konis yourself. SEARCH for it. It even was for your year of car.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(so we just saved you a lot of $$ there !...oops was that too curt?)

I've been looking for a post Jon where I could bug you about the "curt" responses but now you've gone and beat me to it!! Give me a call sometime so I can put you on hold! Just kidding, I'm on your side! Of course, I'm pretty blunt myself.

Get bullet cats, free flow exhaust from Jon and you'll be happy and have saved a lot of money.