Cats & Drag Radials

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thinking of taking off the cats and the small muffler directly behind the cats. I was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experience with this modification.
Also, what kind of drag radials do you guys recommend? Do you get separate rims for them? If so what kind?

Thanks in advance
Todd

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Utah, I have used the snake oyl rear sub assembly to delete my muffler from the car. It simply replaces the stock assembly from the diff back. Unbolt the old, slide the new one in..fit is perfect. I actually have mine for sale if you are interested. [email protected] email me if you are interested. But in re-reading your post I see you are talking about the cats and resonators...from what I have heard removing the cats can cause a check engine light. If that doesn't bother you, then I have heard of no ill effects of removing them other than being bad for the environment. On the tires....I have done some research on this recently. The biggest size drag radial available is a 315/35/17 which some people on the board have used on stock viper 17" rear wheels, but manufacturors claim is not the best as it stretches the tire too much. You can pick up a set of viper front wheels and wrap them in 275/40/17 drag radials and mount on the rear. Obviously I would switch back to normal pilots following the drags, but you can drive there, race, and drive back on your DR's. I was looking at Nitto tire for DR's, but following a conversation with Luke at www.tirerack.com, have decided to go with BFG drag radials. He uses them on his personal drag car and says they are much better than Nitto. Cheaper also! Nitto's run $189 each while the BFG's run $153 each.

good luck!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys Brian mentions using the 315/35/17 on my stock 335 rims for drag racing. No problems at all in a straight line on the drag. Whatever you do though, don't go fast into corners with this set up. It's brutal!

It's definitely the cheapest setup to net you some pretty good ET's on a Viper. Of course, if you have problems with it, I am throwing in the caveat that I am not recommending it!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Brian said, if you remove the cats, you might get a check engine light and you dump a lot of pollutants, but you also lower the temps in your sills and you have a freer flowing exhaust. Will it be loud? Probably.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang