CEL Reader / App

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My search returned nada, but I thought I had seen a thread recently talking about a certain brand of CEL reader (also able to clear/reset codes), which also had a droid/iphone app available to read the code? Does anyone recall the CEL Reader and App brand/model? TIA :)

MoreBeer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed Torque with one of the E-Bay ELM327 adapters a couple weeks ago on my Android. Simply put, this is awesome. There is also an ability to record your drive via GPS with your phone's camera overlay.

-mb

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would personally stick with the "PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth" OBDII adapter, and download the Torque applications to run alongside it (there are several Torque apps - some cost a couple bucks, some are free). I use these with my Droid2, and they're fantastic. Not only does it read/clear codes, with a touch of a button, it will automatically take you to an online database that gives you a TON of information on what the code really means, what is probably wrong, and how to fix it. Furthermore, it does all the stuff that a G-Tech device would do (horsepower calc, 1/4 mile times, 0-60, 0-100, etc.), and can also serve as a really accurate lap timer (via the GPS tracking and mapping system). Another nice thing is you can be messing with your engine and have the Droid with you to look at all the data while you're doing the work - it connects via Bluetooth, so no wires to get caught on anything (I can be anywhere around the car and never lose the signal). This alone made the unit pay for itself - I had an O2 sensor fault on my JGC, and I set the app up to read and graph all the O2 sensor voltages in real time. One of them was really erratic, and looked like a bad connection or possibly a bad sensor, so I went around jiggling the wires/connectors until the voltages followed the right waveform - found the busted wire really easily. For $100 for the PLX Device, and $5 for the Torque app, you just can't go wrong.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard a few people complain that the ELM didn't work on some cars, and read a few various reviews where the Kiwi was being raved about, so I figured I'd go with it. Besides, I got mine at Amazon - it was a bit cheaper than list price, free shipping, no tax, and I had a gift coupon to use...

Edit: forgot to mention, I *think* the ELM device is only available in a direct plug-in model. The Kiwi comes with a six foot cord, so you can plug into the OBD II port, run the wire out of the way, and then set the device wherever you want it. The ELM protrudes from the OBD II port pretty far, and when getting in an out of a few cars, that can be a pain. Also, I don't know if the ELM device has an on/off switch. The Kiwi can be left in the car permanently and you just flip the switch when you want to park your car for a while - no drain on the battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would personally stick with the "PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth" OBDII adapter, and download the Torque applications to run alongside it (there are several Torque apps - some cost a couple bucks, some are free). I use these with my Droid2, and they're fantastic. Not only does it read/clear codes, with a touch of a button, it will automatically take you to an online database that gives you a TON of information on what the code really means, what is probably wrong, and how to fix it. Furthermore, it does all the stuff that a G-Tech device would do (horsepower calc, 1/4 mile times, 0-60, 0-100, etc.), and can also serve as a really accurate lap timer (via the GPS tracking and mapping system). Another nice thing is you can be messing with your engine and have the Droid with you to look at all the data while you're doing the work - it connects via Bluetooth, so no wires to get caught on anything (I can be anywhere around the car and never lose the signal). This alone made the unit pay for itself - I had an O2 sensor fault on my JGC, and I set the app up to read and graph all the O2 sensor voltages in real time. One of them was really erratic, and looked like a bad connection or possibly a bad sensor, so I went around jiggling the wires/connectors until the voltages followed the right waveform - found the busted wire really easily. For $100 for the PLX Device, and $5 for the Torque app, you just can't go wrong.

Thanks Guys, this sounds like what I was looking for :2tu: Do you happen to know if the Torgue App is available for iPhone :dunno: It would be nice if the lap timer could be interfaced with a gopro camera?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque is not an iphone app. Iphone uses Rev app or something like that if I am not mistaken and it has different requirements on which blue tooth obd2 readers you can use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456